Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL The Soil Project

Hi all,

I've used FFOF almost exclusively. However, it's not exactly cheap.

I live in the Midwest. I'm surrounded by the the best and most expensive farm land on the planet. I mean hell, if we can grow corn and soybeans, why not weed?

I've been thinking of a blend 1/3 native soil, 1/3 peatmoss, and 1/3 perlite..

Anyone experimented with blending their own soil before?

I'm not trying to make super soil as described on GWE site. Rather use the natural resources i already have in my backyard.
    Last edited by Mollisol; 12-03-2023, 03:49 PM.
    SF 35X47X70 tent
    SF1000 X4
    AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
    AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
    FFOF Soil
    FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
    GH Flora Series
    3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
    Gelato Cake
    Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Me personally would not bring outdoor soil into my tent indoors. And i'd use coco coir rather than peatmoss
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Mollisol
      Mollisol commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely a concern. I don't want to bring in bugs, viruses, or anything nasty inside.

When I lived in the Midwest I used to work with a guy who planted his weed amongst his corn and he didn't do anything special to the soil and he had great results.

Comment

• Mollisol
      Mollisol commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I'm hoping for. A millenia of prarie grass, growing and decaying has made the soil very fertile. Although it's dence.

See if you can find native soil for that 'all natural' experience. Look for a copse or field border.
    Where's Going2fast with his natural soil thing?
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Mollisol
      Mollisol commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol.... your right about that for sure. Every square inch of tillible ground is already being farmed.

I'd ditch the peat idea all together.

I think a big one with soil grows is to have lots of it so planting in the ground should give you a big head start. For soil to be at its best and self generate your plant goodies it needs density and by that I mean not compacted but lots & lots of it. It needs that so it can create the ideal environment.

A bit of manure on top and let the rain do the rest
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

The peat moss could cause PH issues as its PH is ~3.4, I have used it to lower PH in my grows, but my soil PH'ed at 8.4. Maybe cow manure and leaves (not black walnut)

Comment

Completely doable idea. Volume is the key. For photos at least 15 gallons. I would also add 3/4 cup of dolomite lime to every 5 gallons of soil for good measure. One word of advice and I do it with bagged soil too. Fill your planters and water them well with mosquito dunk mixed water. Let them set outside a few days before bringing them indoors.
        never been a fan of overpriced fox farm. Several friends have tried it and it's inconsistent AF. One bag would ph at 6 another at 4. And always too hot for new seedlings. Try miracle grow organics. Great potting soil for a third the price and no artificial ferts. Leave a coffee can sized void in your planters and fill it with straight potting soil. Gives your young seedlings something light to get started in.
        keeping it green with the soil thing
        love me some frosty autos
        braap
        BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
        Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
        the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
        blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          I would always lime my road kill mulch....yep..Blood and bone from road kill that I mulched with everything else that went in the compost bins.
          The lime would accelerate the decomposition and knock the smell back, lift the pH and keep out other animals looking for a free feed.

Have fun battling bugs........

Reuse the soil you used on the last grow. Just reamend it with some worm castings, bat guano and some blood meal and you should be good. Perlite if you want more soil aeration. If you're growing the same strain again the soil will already be acclimated to all the stuff the plant likes.

Never, never, never, never,.....never bring outside stuff into your indoor garden. You're asking for a mite or other bug infestation and once they get in it's hard to eradicate them completely.

The only way I would bring any plant material into my indoor garden would be if before I bring them in I spray them down with Azamax and put them into quarantine for 2 weeks checking for any bugs. Now try doing that with dirt.
        Last edited by Rootsruler; 12-04-2023, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X