Anyone know what is causing this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what is causing this?

GG4. It's only happening on one plant. The rest are fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	branch split.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	686.1 KB
ID:	608234

I've never seen anything like that, so I'm subbed. So weird looking!!! Why don't you cut one off and slice it open to see what's inside?
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Is it sticky, gooey, hard, wet, foamy tell us more. What looks from here like the stems are split open could be light/heat damage.

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking in old posts, most said genetics.

That's fucked up.

Something has gone wrong at the node. You have weird growth there. Reminds me of burl on a tree, which I understand to be cancerous growths, and from there a failure of the branch...

Send a pic to the seed supplier. See what they say.
      Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
      Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Looks similar to what's called stem canker. I've seen it on tomato plants before.

Comment

Looks like Crucial nailed it.

So from my extensive research on the topic (6 minutes on Google), a lesion has formed at the node (likely a fungal infection of one type or another possibly caused by pruning etc) causing localised swelling which results in the split stem.
          Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
          Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
          Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
          Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I'm thinking this is some sort of pythium issue. I saw a similar issue and they seemed to think it was caused by thrips.

Comment

I dont know, check these out; IF this is what this is, it aint good!

A brief page about stem cankers, including the plants affected, a brief description, symptoms, management, and treatments.

In August of 2020, plants of Cannabis sativa L. grown in hoop houses at two farms located in Benton County, Oregon exhibited wilting and chlorosis, followed by shoot necrosis. Symptomatic plants had dry, tan-brown lesions or cankers, often accompanied by large, round to irregular or ribbon-sh …

Comment

Originally posted by Rootsruler View Post
                GG4. It's only happening on one plant. The rest are fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	branch split.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	686.1 KB
ID:	608234
                You sure that's not a Bruce Banner? It looks like it's hulking out.

Comment

It has splits on several branches down too. One can see that in the pix. I would be more concerned with the health of the branches than the wierd knobs. I would think bugs and gunk could find a home in those splits. Are the branches otherwise healthy? Buds ok on them? Or, are those splits the stems of fan leaves; if so I would prune them off.

Comment

• Rootsruler
                    Rootsruler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not mine but the flowers were already harvested. Grower said it was only one plant that did this so it has to be some sort of fungus or bacteria that has infected it IMO but what? I did a little research and the only thing I found was someone that had had a thrip infestation that got this. I'm thinking the thrips may have carried whatever fungus or bacteria and infected the plant?

Don't think it's HLVD as the plant was vigorous throughout with the branch splitting only happening the last few weeks before harvest. From what I could get out of him the only things affected were the fan leaf branches.

It might be this and if it is you are not going to like it because it's bad news: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/wh...146054/page-25

play the video in post 499. Your plant might have the hops latent viriod.

Comment

NebulaHaze Did this article on HLV(D), maybe her or SiriusFourside will find this and comment on it.
                    By Nebula Haze Have you heard about Hop Latent Viroid infecting cannabis plants? Unfortunately, HLVd is a cannabis plant pathogen that infects cannabis plants and causes a problem known as dudding disease (also called “dudders” or “dud”) or Putative Cannabis Infectious Agent (PCIA). This viroid has recently been infecting commercial marijuana growers and shutting down...

Comment

The stem splitting is worrying, but it's worse when you see the image at minute 3:00 in the video that HeavyMetal1 posted. If it were me, I'd treat this like HLVd.

Comment

There are at home test kits one can get to verify HLVd, watch the price I found one @ $21 but minimum 10 kits most do not give up front prices (kinda scary). Also in lab testing which I am sure is costly.
                        That plant in the vid above with the big ass knot, I would have to cut open to see there is no bug/worm in it.
                        Reviewing the info, I think I have had 2 plants with HLVd, one had twisted leaves and limbs, the other had 2 distinct types of growth with part of it stunted and part looked normal. Both were from seed with one showing signs early on, the other a bit later and split into 13 directions at its top. The first was pulled and burned (in a fire pit), the second was just not worth lighting up and was sent to compost (now I would also burn it in the pit). At that time I was using water from the spring, now I use water from the hose which may help get rid of this viroid because of the chlorine/chloramine in it.
                        I also found some articles that contradicted each other as to whether seeds can carry HLVd, one said no the other said about 8% can.

Comment

• Bluey
                          Bluey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          All seeds can carry the viroid on the outside of the seed.

Jury is out on the inside of the seed.

Still learning about HLVd. HLVd becomes apparant typically in mature flowering plants a couple of weeks prior to harvest, not typically earlier.

This is definitely canker but the cause of the lesion at the node is uncertain at this stage.

I just found out that on the other site I frequent where I got this from one of the members can do tissue culturing so apparently they've sent out a tissue culture to see if they can figure out what's going on.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                          SoOrbudgal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Man that's nasty, i'd do a major scrub of your grow area as i'm sure you will.

• Rootsruler
                          Rootsruler commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not my grow. Someone on another site I frequent posted it up and I thought maybe one of you may have experienced this or know someone that has.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X