Acinifinity self watering plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acinifinity self watering plates

Hi, has anyone had any experience using ac infinity self watering plates using cloth pots. Thanks in advance for your help!

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!! etc.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      That's my way of saying, "Two threads started, two product questions." Smells like an advertiser, to me.
      Maybe I'm sensitive.

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for being slow young Ginger, I got a lot on my mind lately !!

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      All is good, mon amigo... Sometimes I speak frustrated.

Maybe you’re just a butthead. Do you just sit on this site smoking weed and wait for me? Are you the official keyboard ranger for the group?

Comment

Yes. Yes. Yes. And I'm sensitive.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

I know some that have used them. They like them but there are some cons to it. I think something about the wicking system but don't remember if it was serious or just a small issue.

Comment

Go with AutoPots if you want something ‘self watering’

Comment

This guy is running auto pots in a 3 x 3

(4) Pipecarver with a Spiderfarmer G3000 over Auto Pots in a 3x3 | Bud Builders - Making Friends, Growing Cannabis

Comment

There are far better options than the AC Infinity auto pots. These systems are of two types, Bottom Watering wicks, and true Octopots and their micro cousins. The difference is large, Wicks just keep a plant watered, Octopots create two entire root systems by design; one in the reservoir, one in the soil above, usually in a fabric or air pot.

If there is interest here I'd be glad to offer a deeper dive,
              -Grouchy
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	167
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	608371
              My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
              I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
              Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• Rootsruler
                Rootsruler commented
                Editing a comment
                Always open to new ideas!!

• StickyNugsAZ
                StickyNugsAZ commented
                Editing a comment
                So you keep a reservoir full for veg, then switch it over to flower nutes? Is watering pretty much hands off on your Octopots?

I'm not too hip on self watering systems. I prefer to water by hand. That's when I check out the girls and do the necessary adjusting.

Comment

Rootsruler, StickyNugsAZ,

I'm reluctant to steer loyal GWE members to another website for info, but the links below offer a deep dive into the world of Octopots.

If anyone on GWE wants to try an inexpensive system that grows large plants in small pots using a relatively hands-off method, I'll be glad to spend some time here offering what I've learned.

This will be a diary of testing my DIY micro octopot setup. My tiny grow tents just don’t have enough height to use full size octopots, but I came across this cheap auto watering basin that looked like it could be used exactly to make a mini system just like the original. Unsure if it will work, but let’s find out! The details: 2x2 tent Spider Farmer SF-1000 LED light lights set to 18/6 1/2 gallon fabric pot, modified to hold a 3” net pot in the bottom. potting-soil/coco/perlite mix. mephis...

I have developed an autowatering system for Octopot that allows me to leave them unattended for a couple of weeks if that need arises. No pumps, no electricity. This optimizes the advantages of the basic systems.

[Some of this has been cross posted in other notable threads, I’m consolidating here for convenience and future reference.] A Simple AutoFill System for Octopots Greetings OctoPoddlers, I just cobbled together an Octopot auto fill system that seems to work perfectly and cost under $20 total. In the picture below, the little red container is pretending to be an Octopot. The white bin is the Controller and the grey tub on the left is a ten gallon reservoir. When the Reservoir is full, and ...

Views:	115
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	608447

Views:	112
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	608448​​

Views:	123
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	608446

Cheers,
                -Grouchy
                I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very interesting do the fabric pots allow all the roots to suspend in the fluid? Or is it similar to wicking up? They sit on those plates, water flows through then after a hr or so it all gets sucked/wicked up ?

• Rootsruler
                  Rootsruler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yer fine. I frequent other sites and have posted links. It's about the info. If they want to join there too there's no reason not to as info is the reason we're all here.

• StickyNugsAZ
                  StickyNugsAZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks a lot for the info grouchy. This type of hybrid system really interests me. Especially if I could be gone for 2 weeks.
                  Wouldn't air in the bottom be advantageous?

SoOrbudgal: "Very interesting do the fabric pots allow all the roots to suspend in the fluid? Or is it similar to wicking up? They sit on those plates, water flows through then after a hr or so it all gets sucked/wicked up ?"

The secret sauce of Octopots is that they create a double root system, one in the bottom reservoir where the roots are partially submerged like a hydro setup, and a separate root system that nearly fills the fabric pot on top. This allows for incredible aeration and some very large yields.

The net cup sits in a hole in the bottom of the fabric pot so the roots have direct access to the lower reservoir. We vary the water level in the bottom rez to control whether roots are being formed above or below.

This is also the easiest system I've ever used because it takes watering schedules out of the equation. There is always at least some water in the bottom and the plant takes what it needs. I have had large flowering plants drink a gallon a day during stretch. The plants seem to love having the air gap in the lower rez vary. They don't even seem to mind the rez going almost dry! Surprising.

We vary the nutrient mix to suit the growth stage then just periodically top off the lower pot as needed. With an autofiller setup I mix five gallons at a time, fill the separate large reservoir then fill a pipe and watch the show. Honestly it's almost boring. LoL.

-Grouchy
                PS, no disrespect to the many other SIP (Self Irrigating Systems), I know many get great results with them too.

Views:	105
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	608534
                Attached Files

-Grouchy

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for this information

• StickyNugsAZ
                  StickyNugsAZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you treat it like living soil regarding nutrients and ph?
                  Cool system you made there!

• grouchyoldman
                  grouchyoldman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Do you treat it like living soil regarding nutrients and ph?"

Great question Sticky, the strangest part of all is that the best soil for the air-pot up top is basically coco, nute-free ProMix plus lots of perlite??? The Dry Side upper root system up top is all about AIR, unfettered oxygen to help roots do what roots do. (super soil mixes just get muddy and wrong in octos)

It just works.

[Edit, oh yeah, pH is a big deal and wants to be 5.5 to 6.0 for feed water. If you are serious, you want to monitor pH, EC (or PPM), and the rate your plants are drinkng. If you know that you can adjust as needed for each strain's preferences.]
                  Last edited by grouchyoldman; 11-06-2023, 05:59 PM.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X