Do you guys reuse your potting soil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys reuse your potting soil?

Question, do you guys reuse your potting soil or start fresh after each grow?

In my tent I use Happy Frog which I amend slightly. In the past I normally take this used soil, and transfer it outdoors to be used on my tomatoes. I have to say, the tomatoes have no problem with it, they thrive.

So can, or should you reuse good soil after just one grow? To my eye it's still dark, and seems viable. It's only slightly depleted of some nutrients which can be easily reintroduced. Or is it not worth the chance? This grow will be autos in 5 gallon soft pots.
    ​​​​​​

I have 2 large tubs with lids. One i use for indoor soil and the other is for outdoor pots. I never use outdoor for indoor ever. Yes i reuse indoor soil a couple times and add worm castings once i transplant into their final pot. I'll add additional stuff like perilite or vermiculite. I'll bang the rootwad soil against the inner tub loosen what i can. Outdoor pots go into my garden beds or i'll do the same with the tub.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Absolutely, I just started my 8th. grow with the same soil.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfish View Post
        Absolutely, I just started my 8th. grow with the same soil.
        So what do you amend or replenish your soil with between grow

Comment

• kingfish
          kingfish commented
          Editing a comment
          Between grow, I pull the old root ball out and dump the soil in a big bag and wait for the next grow. Then use it just like new soil. I don't reuse soil if I had problems with pests. Since you don't feed seedlings for the first 3 weeks anyway, It works out for me.
          Last edited by kingfish; 10-23-2023, 07:55 PM.

I too reuse my soil and amend it each year, but I built mine to start with.

Comment

Yes mixed with new soil cooked over summer.
          Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
          Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
          Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
          Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I reuse my soil as well. To amend before the next grow I use an amendment pack provided by the soil maker. It contains all the good stuff they use in the first place. Just mix it in and let it cook for a couple weeks.
            You can of course mix the individual amendments, I just let the pros do that for me.
            KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
            Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
            Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
            Maybe some compost teas
            Blumat watering system
            Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
            3x4x6’ tent
            Photontek 465wpro
            6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
            Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

I plan on reusing my soil as well. After filling 2 earth boxes with all the fixings, I don't want to have to do that every single grow. The plan is after I finish my current grow, I pull the root ball. I take the amendments and minerals that I would put in a new soil and top dress it into the soil. Put some light soil where the old root ball was and plant the next started seedling. The microbes and worms will move the nutrients and make them available to the plants. Plus they'll send feeder roots up into the top soil and they'll take whatever they need from the rich pickings.
              Peace. Love. Mushrooms and Weed.
              ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱
              Current grows:🪴

Pineapple Express (Barney's Farm)
              MAC1 (Blimburn)
              Blue Dream (Blimburn)
              Sweet Zombie (Blimburn) *autoflower
              Acapulco Gold (B/W Label NASC) *autoflower

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin
              T- 🫖Black Tea Kombucha (Fermentaholics SCOBY)

🍄Tidal wave 3x
              🍄Treasure Coast 2x(1 was contaminated)

Comment

After a run I dump all the soil onto a tarp, remove the roots and add about half of what I have on the tarp with new soil and mix it in. Sometimes I'll add some perlite if it looks like it needs it.

I use to make my own supersoil but too much work as I don't grow outdoors much anymore. Recharging the soil with some fresh has worked out well for me. Easy to do and has proven to be just as effective as new soil.

Comment

I just add a top dressing of home made worm compost on top of used soil, I do not dump or anything, just let the critters take care of it. Decomposed plants have everything that your plants need, if you are in a big enough pot, I don't even fertilize anymore. My pots are about 15 gallons and I fit four of them end to end tight in a 3x3.

Comment

• Rootsruler
                    Rootsruler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So rather than separate pots you just incorporate them into one?

• Bluey
                    Bluey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A few things plants don't have that plants need or love that comes to mind

Blood and bone
                    Lime and other rock dust (trace elements)
                    Ash (mind you probably was a plant at one point)

and lots more water over time to keep it going

and as mentioned a big enough pot, very important for soil to work properly. Mass is critical.

Decomposed plants 100 percent have calcium (bone), trace elements, etc. That stuff doesn't just disappear when a plant dies

Comment

• Bluey
                    Bluey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good point...

And pretty much all available after composting hey.

I generally have re-used about a third of my soil for the next grow and the balance in my outdoor decorative potted plants.
                  Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                  5 gallon cloth pots
                  30"x30"x60" tent
                  Spider Farmer SE3000
                  Coco Pearlite mix
                  GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ditto that

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X