Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeding

Hello community,
    I have a question. My seedling is three days old. It's strain is northern lights. It just popped its pretty little head above ground. We'll, I planted two but only one has sprouted. My question is, should these seedlings be getting some type of nutrients at this stage? I've been researching in GWE guide but, I'm still not sure.

I use about 1/4 of the nutes I use for vegging for seedlings. once the second node begins to establish itself I double that to 1/2 nutes. General rule: go easy, really easy.
    2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
    2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
    2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
    2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

Ok thanks, I have flora trio w/cal-mag BTW my medium is coco coir, w/perlite and I mixed in vermiculite. Can I use at least one of the flora trio or should look at using something else or some type of a supplement? Or is the supplement and flora trio used for the same purpose?

Comment

I'm not familiar with that line of products Stevieje, simply my general recommendation is whatever you use for your first full, veg, take that and dilute it about a quarter.
        2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
        2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
        2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
        2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

I would wait 3 weeks after they break ground, then only give them 1/4 dosage.

Comment

I just foliar spray 10% and use a dome for starters There's enough runoff to keep the roots happy. They only need high humidity at this stage. My coco I prepare it with a 50% nute flush so it already has some buffer. I remove the dome after first leaf but keep spraying once a day. My method is not ideal but it works fine for photos.
            For autos your best to ask others.
            Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
            Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
            Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
            Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
            Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
            Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I can’t speak to the feeding as a “living soil” grower, but remember to keep your temps down 70-72f and humidity up , like 70% . Those little baby plants have almost no roots yet and need to get what they need from the tiny leaves.
              I keep the dome on for a couple weeks usually, as my nursery has no HVAC control , and mist the dome to keep the humidity up.
              KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
              Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
              Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
              Maybe some compost teas
              Blumat watering system
              Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
              3x4x6’ tent
              Photontek 465wpro
              6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
              Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

I do use VPD to help inform my decisions , maybe that’s not necessary but it’s important to get the environment correct for sure.
                KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
                Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
                Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
                Maybe some compost teas
                Blumat watering system
                Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
                3x4x6’ tent
                Photontek 465wpro
                6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
                Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

I also use the GH trio. For watering I use water ph-ed to 6.02+/- as I am using coco. I add a couple of drops of cal mag and Flora Nova Micro only. Once true leaves develop, I use the trio at 1/4 strength. at three nodes I go to 1/2 strength.
                  Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                  5 gallon cloth pots
                  30"x30"x60" tent
                  Spider Farmer SE3000
                  Coco Pearlite mix
                  GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Do not give up on the 2nd. I would give it at least 10 days before discarding it.
                    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                    5 gallon cloth pots
                    30"x30"x60" tent
                    Spider Farmer SE3000
                    Coco Pearlite mix
                    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I agree with kingfish. The seed should have enough energy in it to get to at least your first set of leaves apart from the cotyledons. That's usually where I give them 1/8 strength nutes or just water. Once they hit 5th node then I go 1/4 - 1/2 nutes depending on how vigourous the plant is.

One thing I've been doing as of late is to plant my seeds in a clear solo cup and use a red solo as a sleeve. Once they break ground I monitor how much root development I have by slipping the cup out of the sleeve and checking for roots. Once I see roots I start feeding a little heavier.

Stevieje are you using any fungal innoculants like Mychorizzae? If not, look into them. You're at the stage where you can add them when you transplant your seedling into your next pot and get the added benefits of a fungal community supercharging your root system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X