Screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screens

Basically, what are the screens made of that we use for kiefing?
    If I wanted to make my own Farmbuck style shake box, is there something I need to look for? Silk? Poly? I can't tell from my bags.
    Raygun is hip-hop.

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Depend on how much you want to spend and how much refine you want your kief to be... For example I use a monofilament screen of a 120 micron or could it be 125 micro ?? Anyway I buy the RYOT box for about $30 US every 2 yrs. Check Amazon or their website (RYOT) @Gingerbeard​. I've tried bubble hash a few time but I prefer (personal choice) the old dry pressed hash type.

their website: https://ryot.com/product/solid-top-screen-boxes this will give you a bit of info.

If it's for personnal use I would not spend to much on box and a screen just saying.

So far I'm happy with the "RYOT" result.

Here is a link showing how to, they use a 110 micron https://www.hoj.life/blogs/viden/how-to-make-a-kief-box
    Last edited by Farmbuck; 09-01-2023, 04:21 PM.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Gracias, Freund FB. When I get real bored I sometimes look around the house for something to do. Maintenance or DYI. This time it was my bubble bags that are getting crappy and I don't want to clean them. I got to thinking about making a tumbler.
      My thought is to use a 2-litre soda bottle (do they still make 3-litre?). Cut away as much of the side of the bottle as is possible while keeping the bottle... bottley. The screen would fit inside the bottle. Then hook up a little hamster wheel or something to tumble the tumbler.
      It seems pretty straight forward.
      Raygun is hip-hop.

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeard View Post
        Gracias, Freund FB. When I get real bored I sometimes look around the house for something to do. Maintenance or DYI. This time it was my bubble bags that are getting crappy and I don't want to clean them. I got to thinking about making a tumbler.
        My thought is to use a 2-litre soda bottle (do they still make 3-litre?). Cut away as much of the side of the bottle as is possible while keeping the bottle... bottley. The screen would fit inside the bottle. Then hook up a little hamster wheel or something to tumble the tumbler.
        It seems pretty straight forward.
        I did what you suggested but in larger scale. I used a Home Depot bucket and cut out sections to fit the stainless mesh I bought off of ebay. I made a stand out of wood for it and put a collection pan along with a windscreen to keep the falling keef from getting blown away by a sudden puff of wind. I used a clear plastic bag as my windscreen. I originally made a hand crank for it but that got old real fast so I rigged up a motor with speed control to turn it.

At the time I was dealing with a decent amount of trim as I was managing a 20p+ warehouse grow.

Comment

I will never have an HD bucket worth of anything. That's why I was thinking about a 2-3 liter bottle. I'm the blaster type.
          Preliminary tests show cutting holes out of a plastic bottle is about impossible. After the first couple cuts, the bottle is too flimsy to deal with.
          Ooh! Do you know how they bend horns? I mean trombones and other brass. At least what I saw was freezing water in the pipe. When the pipe is bent, the ice keeps the pipe walls from collapsing. Freezing water in a bottle will give the same sort of support. Of course, working with a block of ice might get complicated. ​
          Raygun is hip-hop.

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

I've never tried it, but if you heated a sharp knife it would probably cut the plastic a lot easier.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes and no. I used a hot screwdriver to poke holes in a Solo cup. It works for a few holes before needing reheating and it takes more time to reheat than poke holes. The edges also get burrs.
              A knife would cool off a lot faster.

• Cougar672
              Cougar672 commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you tried a heavy duty pair of scissors?

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              Might still be with a flimsy bottle. Might. I'll have to give it a shot.

I'm thinking about using a drill with a hole cutter on an ice bottle.
            It just dawned on me that I haven't bought a 2 or 3 liter bottle of soda in...decades.
            Raygun is hip-hop.

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here re soda bottles....although I have scavenged through rubbish bins to rescue used ones.

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              Our street people population have the aluminum and plastic bottle market. You do not want to mess with those folks.
              Although, I'm cool enough with most of them that maybe someone will give me one.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X