Decarb and long term storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decarb and long term storage

G'day y'all. I'm trying to establish if I should "decarb" my entire stash before long term storage or not. I don't smoke pot (anymore) and put most of my decarbed crop in capsules. As far as storage is concerned, am I better off only decarboxylating closer to time of consumption? Does well packaged, decarbed weed become less potent over time as compared to raw?
    Thanks for your input.

Damn! That's an interesting question. I have no idea nor any clue how to research it.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Well when you say long term storage, how long are you talking? I've had weed decarb naturally while being stored in jars for a long period of time..(10 months plus) Had a couple of bumper crops of AK-47 and the weed eventually turned from green to a golden brown color and a very mild smell. I dont think it became less potent but it did smoke much smoother. Dont see why you cant store it properly for the time being and if your in need early, cook some up.
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Auto plants Strawberry Pie Auto(fast bud) Night Queen Auto(dutch passion) Chem Dog Auto(ethos) Unknown mix Auto(butterbean seeds)
      Photo plants Blue Cheese(butterbean seeds) Green Crack(Canuk seeds)
      Purple Gelatto(Canuk seeds)

Comment

If I decarboxylate my crop, (no idea how much my 4 plants are going to produce) not only will it take up less space, but, I suspect there will be little to no chance of mold or other disasters. Long term could equal 1 to 2 years.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
          changeofpace2014 commented
          Editing a comment
          You might want to vacuum seal them in bags...a cheep little vacuum sealer from amazon...30$.. then freeze it for very long term storage..

This is a thread I started a little bit ago.
        I know your goal is to possibly decarb everything for storage, not curing. But the idea is the same: long term storage.
        Vacuum storage - GrowWeedEasy.com Cannabis Growing Forum
        How about making all your capsules and storing them? My local dispensary puts on sale to get rid of (at least) resin older than one year. I have tried these and would not know the difference between fresh and year old. They might only need refrigeration?​
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

Great stuff, Thanks. It's starting to look like the procedure I'm going to follow is, 1. Cure for a couple of months in Mason Jars burping them often 2. Decarb 30 minutes 250° F in turkey bag (works wonderfully, no odor) 3. Vacuum seal in Mason Jars (haven't quite figured out this part, can't be too difficult...)

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Creating a perfect vacuum is close to impossible. Oxygen is what makes weed cure. That's where the argon comes in.

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            do the decarb in the jars, they will seal and have a vacuum

• alan53
            alan53 commented
            Editing a comment
            Forgot to mention step 2a. Pulverize

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X