Dehumidifyer options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dehumidifyer options

Can anyone help with best dehumidifyer to purchase for a 1.2 By 1.2 by 1.8 tent housing 6 lady's please. Obviously space is limited but I also need performance so any ideas great fully recieved !
    also , is it possible to have a dehumidifyer set up outside the tent to draw moisture out the tent maybe through ducting... this then helps with size of appliance 🤷‍♂️.
    thanks in advance for any help !

I'm afraid of buying one of those peltier type dehumidifier but would be anxious to hear from someone with good experience with one. A regular room-size dehum. would be easiest but would have high operating cost. I stopped looking when I found some tiny compressor-based units for less than $150 USD on the big Amz so I think there's an answer when the time is right. Are your measurements in meters? I plan to put the dehumidifier in a second meter squared tent used as an air handler (like those big boxes you see on top of commercial buildings.) Then run the dry air through duct into the grow tent and then exhaust the grow tent outside.
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Metres mate yes sorry......a small 1 would be ok off amazon that could handle 2 to 5 litres every couple of days or similar.....I just wondered if there was 1 on the market these days that could be placed outside of the tent so gives you more space in the tent.
      it's Purley to keep humidity levels in the sweet spot using combined with an inkbird.
      air wise I'm sorted with inlets & outlets.....just want to control the humidity...

Comment

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, if you use the Inkbird then make sure you find a dehum that will restart after a power fail and make sure the Inkbird won't rapidly cycle the dehumidifier. The little 20 pint humidifiers I've looked at usual have a 1.5 liter collection tub so a dehum with a hose connection to collect the water in a pan (for reuse) will be nice.

• Smallgrow
        Smallgrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes 90Gizmo I have found my humidifier doesn’t work well with the ink bird. Also correct equipment that comes on automatically after power interruption is critical and harder and harder to find.
        Most dehumidifiers have a start up shut/shut down cycle they need to run before they start to do “work”. Using the ink bird controller doesn’t allow this so I’ve gone back to using the
        sensor built into the deHum although this has a wide range before it kicks in and out which isn’t ideal.

I had a peltier one and it didn't do anything hardly. But I was trying to use it when the lights were off and temp below 70F if that makes a difference.

Comment

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        I read that the peltier are practically useless but they are small enough to go directly in the tent. I have no feel for whether a cup or so a day from the peltier is worth doing or not but I'm guessing not since we generally have humid summers to begin with.

A dimplex GDDE50E does 50ltrs/day and can be controlled at the wall socket...but 230V.
      I used one of these on my last grow with ambient RH above 80% a lot of the time. I could keep RH well down below 50 and closer to 40 but it started to push up temps..no fault of the dehumidifier though
      Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ž filled for autos, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 2 x Autos Greenhouse Seeds Amsterdam Sweet Mango, 2 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel. All feminised.
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
      Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

A dehumidifier is best set up outside the tent. This will save space inside your tent. Additionally, dehumidifiers generate heat. While the heat isn't a huge deal in a room that your tent is in, if you add it inside of your tent and add the heat of your lights, you're likely going to have heat management issues. My tent is in an unfinished basement in a 178 year old house (so it gets very damp down there at times) and I'm able to keep the humidity levels around 40% in the basement most of the time. This results in relative humidity inside the tent staying at or below 50% most of the time and since the dehumidifier is not in the tent, it doesn't really contribute to temperature management issues.

When it comes to a model, anything will do really. My suggestion would be to get one that has a reservoir big enough so that you don't have to empty it multiple times a day because it's easy to forget. My home is my business, so it's not a big deal for me to empty it twice a day but just something to consider. Ideally, you'd be able to run a hose directly to a drain but that's not possible in all situations. Also, I don't notice much of an electricity increase in the warmer months (when I have to use a dehumidifier), but if you're concerned with that, you might check to see if there are any that are Energy Star rated or the equivalent in your country.

Good on you working to manage the environment in your tent and that is best done through managing the environment in the room that your tent is in. Having your environment dialed in will help prevent a great majority of any potential issues!
        Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
        Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

Make sure they work at colder temps. Many older style won't do well below 70F. Most newer ones go down to the 30Fs.

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point. No issues with the one I mentioned above but the lower the temps the less efficient of course. Below about 68⁰F it needs a reset after about 8hrs of run time. I'm guessing it just ices up a bit

I have two of these Frigidaire units they. I put a lot of effort into researching a good one. I don’t know if they are still available, they aren’t the cheapest, but for me if it lasts it’s worth it , if it’s cheap and doesn’t last it’s just more garbage and I haven’t saved money

I think it is best to have a separate “lung room” for your Equipment but I don’t have space.
          The hose attachment is a must. I dont have a drain close but it allows me to direct the water to a different reservoir that I can empty more easily as the one in my tent is blocked by plants. You can see it to the left of the tent door. You could also use this technique to increase the capacity of the reservoir

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            I found a lung room is required also if you need to nail the RH.. When trying to maintain a mid point with RH you tend to get a wide range..eg. trying to maintain 55% you might end up with 50 to 60% with an average of 55.
            When going low though it tends to tighten right up..say aiming for 43 you may get 42 to 45%RH.
            I honestly don't think the swings matter to plant health though so not a biggie.

I grow in two tents that are inside a lung room. I have seemingly tried everything to control RH inside the tent. Several different models of smaller dehumidifiers. None of them worked. To small, spent more time emptying the reservoir than anything else. This is my current set up. I've been using it for a while. It works well. There's other models and brands but I'd suggest something like this. When the RH is high I have to empty the bucket about every 24-36 hours. I guess I could use a bigger bucket.
          Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24 ​
          Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity ​6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
          Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Some good info for me there guys. Thankyou all. !
            I've put an extra extraction fan & filter on the humidity inkbird for now instead of a humidifier just to try and get the moisture out. Another idea my friend mentioned was to crank up the temp of the heater so the temp fans kick in and get rid that way......I'll have a play around and see how it goes before deciding on a particular dehumidifyer.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X