First time LST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time LST

I’m on my 3rd grow and decided to try LST. Am i on the right path? Am i suppose to do something with that top branch?
    Attached Files

One more pic, i bent main stem over now.
    Attached Files

Comment

• changeofpace2014
      changeofpace2014 commented
      Editing a comment
      Now your on the right path....tip leave your ties long enough to relocate them further out on the stalk when needed..

• ponzi314
      ponzi314 commented
      Editing a comment
      i got lucky and i made them all wayy to long because i have terrible special awareness lol so sounds like i made a happy mistake

Looks good to me. it will be an ongoing job of repositioning as it grows but you seem to have a good grasp of the concept. This will really boost the yield.

Comment

Originally posted by crucialbunny View Post
      Looks good to me. it will be an ongoing job of repositioning as it grows but you seem to have a good grasp of the concept. This will really boost the yield.
      awesome, happy to hear that. I’ll keep adjusting as it goes. It’s cool to watch it curl upward after pulling a stem down

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep your doing a great job ponzi314 you make our forum proud.

• ponzi314
        ponzi314 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you SoOrbudgal, Been very excited to start this grow so happy im doing it right. Last time i had 2 gelato plants in there and it became too much to handle so this time around i said let me focus on one and see if i can increase the yields with LST. I almost topped her but one step at a time. Topping will be for a later grow. Im also using much better genetics so hoping thats a crutch for any mistakes i might make. (Mephisto Sour Stomper)

Originally posted by ponzi314 View Post
      One more pic, i bent main stem over now.
      Just a heads up ponzi314. I've had the twist ties cut into my branches when I tied them off and didn't allow for growth. I went to pipe cleaners.

Comment

• ponzi314
        ponzi314 commented
        Editing a comment
        do you think it helps that i dont tie them tightly to the branch? i created a big loop and just twist at the end. I can fit my thumb in the loops

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        If you keep moving them along the stem working outwards and pulling them down as they grow you should be fine. About every 3 to 6 days move them outwards depending on how fast she is growing. Good job.👍

On the last pic I saw you had a nice big loop around the apical stem, while the one on the upper right branch looks a little tight. Just a heads heads up.

Comment

• ponzi314
        ponzi314 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good eye, ive adjusted! thank you

You’re doing great. One thing I like to do after I bend them over is to remove the big fan leaves that grow straight up when bent over so they don’t shade the growth underneath

Comment

• ponzi314
        ponzi314 commented
        Editing a comment
        is it safe to do for autos? because theres one big one thats covering multiple bud sites

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! It’s good to thin any plant out occasionally, just don’t go crazy. Anymore I don’t defoliate much, I only remove the big suckers that are shading bud sites.

• ponzi314
        ponzi314 commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you, i removed 3 of the big ones that were blocking light
        Last edited by ponzi314; 04-18-2023, 01:51 PM.

So i went a little over board on LST. I went to check on her today and see the stem was snapped in half. I think i indirectly topped her. It happened at the 5th node too. How bad is this? Im assuming she will recover. I need to stop adjusting it everyday, im trying my best to keep them all the same height, its not easy.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
        Editing a comment
        Above the 5th node is a good place to top a plant anyways. You did more good than harm

• ponzi314
        ponzi314 commented
        Editing a comment
        thats what i was hoping lol wasnt sure if its a little late in the game to be toppping though so thats why i got nervous, im at 42 days since putting seed in soil

Sorry about that ponzi314 I've read that that people tape the two parts together. Search for that. It looks like you could use the top piece to make a clone. As is, you will have many branches with big colas probably less than but almost as much as if the break never happened. When I did it, I did the clone thing as a learning experience. No worries.
      Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
      Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
      Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Little update since the unintentional topping. I havent done any additional LST ive been just letting her grow. Personally i think she looks good but please let me know if you think otherwise. It seems like most of the bud sites were pretty level except the one that split in 2 due to the topping. Should i still be pulling stuff down or are this point should i just let her grow.

Comment

• 90Gizmo
          90Gizmo commented
          Editing a comment
          Upvote what Bluey said.

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          You sure can and i would try and bring down that split one.

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          Word, ill do that now! thank you all

A word about bending stems. If you take the stem and squeeze it between your fingers a little the stem will soften up. Then it can be bent in the desired direction easier and with less chance of breaking. It sounds barbaric but it works. You will have to experiment on how much to soften them. When they heal the bend will be stronger than it was originally. This works best if the stem has not turned woody yet. This may be wandering into the realm of HST but it will save you from unintentional breaks.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          if im being honest i didnt know there was such a thing as high stress training lol but ill try this out. im not going too crazy this time around since its my first time. But im actually kindof happy it broke. Cause the 2 sprouts that spit off are doing great.

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it's called supercropping. Never done it myself

You're doing good. I can't speak to auto's as I don't grow them. Regular strains during Veg and even early flower if they are healthy, they can take a pretty good beating and come back stronger.
        Last edited by Mollisol; 04-26-2023, 10:04 PM.
        SF 35X47X70 tent
        SF1000 X4
        AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
        AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
        FFOF Soil
        FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
        GH Flora Series
        3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
        Gelato Cake
        Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_122956-A.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	981.4 KB
ID:	594609
          An example of high stress training and softening and bending stems. Starting to make a manifold.

Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• ponzi314
            ponzi314 commented
            Editing a comment
            If i get into growing photos im going to try this

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, you can do much more manifolding with photos.

I pulled to hard when tying the colas down. This happened about 3 weeks ago. I tried to tape the split back together. The stem was to thick and woody, it was impossible. So I moved my tape down below the split to stop it from going further down. Then I left it alone. Despite the the damage my plant is healthy and on par with the others
          SF 35X47X70 tent
          SF1000 X4
          AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
          AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
          FFOF Soil
          FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
          GH Flora Series
          3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
          Gelato Cake
          Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

• ponzi314
            ponzi314 commented
            Editing a comment
            crazy how resilient plants are

This one split all the way down to the coco but didn't appear to effect it in any way.
          Topped too low to the node.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20220916_065834.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	594701
          Attached Files
          Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
          Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
          Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
          Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
          Last Grow: A mix

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
            Editing a comment
            Don’t stress it anymore and it’ll heal up in a couple days. You can always wrap a plant tie around it too and it’ll grow back together some

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            That was my last grow. It's yield and quality were no different to the one that didn't split...I left it alone, it split to the coco. I ignored it..no issues

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X