Short Plant Encouragement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Plant Encouragement

So my current grow is turning out to be very short, bushy plants. It's the first time I have only planted one strain, Critical Plus 2.0 Auto Flower, as opposed to my usual mix. I was curious to find out if anyone has attempted to encourage plants to grow taller by raising your lights to so they stretch. If you have done so, I would like to hear your results and if it's worth it to try next time.

Gratzi
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

With no experience, wouldn't that make for lesser of the plant? That is, bud size and quality? Lanky?
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't know, that's why I'm asking.

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. That's why the question marks. You got me thinking about my S. Galaxy.

Hard with autos cause your under the gun time wise before flower, to grow as much as possible.
    Less/further light will defiantly stretch them, but someone more knowledgeable than me will have to chime in on if that would be a good trade off as less light = less plant, generally.
    Defiantly bring the light back after they get into flower a bit.

I have a short bushy photo. I’m hoping to train the other 3 down while she catches up, but it’s all fun and games with photos …
    KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
    Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
    Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
    Maybe some compost teas
    Blumat watering system
    Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
    3x4x6’ tent
    Photontek 465wpro
    6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
    Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

I'm on my 2nd indoor grow and my plants through veg are super squat..even extra low with the topping and LST.
      I'm conservative with light in veg but still hit them with about as much light as they can take once flipped to flower but I supplement with far red (660 & 730nm) to encourage stretch. These mostly have sativa traits to look at and stretch massively under the reds...they've gone 3 fold in height since flipping and that was 15 days ago. They're photos not autos though and you need a very different strategy on autos is my understanding re light intensity and duration. Estimating when the stretch will start in an auto may be tough unless you can do something to bring it on...the reds may help with that too...trial and error.
      Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
      Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Only way that i have found was not doing much LST on autos if you want them taller. But the strain may be the deciding factor. I've had them close to 4ft. outdoor and over 25" indoor from soil to top of it's canopy. Right now with my light i've got my newer 2wk old plants at 35" full power only seeing 4 nodes so far and there sitting with those 4 autos near finishing. It's hard to judge but they do stretch.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Less light when they are small is better but once the stretch is on it's everything you got. When they are seedlings I encourage stretch to get 2-3" of stem.

Comment

Yes - I raised my lights during some of the initial LST.. It is much eaiser to perform LST when one has enough length to work with. Once they stretched enough the lights were lowered back. In my case the plants had a very limited ceiling so the LST started really early.. you can have a look a my planning a new grow thread to see some of the LST. 19 1/2 " total height including 10" pot, under 300w...No I do not think raising the lights for a week or so to help speed up training effected anything.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by changeofpace2014; 03-23-2023, 07:30 AM.

Comment

You shouldn't encourage plants to grow taller by raising your lights, its never a good idea(unless your giving the plants too much light)
              it will speed the plant growth up but the stems become thinner resulting in wider node spacing, thicker stems with tight node spacing is always best, heather plants and they can hold more bud.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                That can be remedied by air movement in the form of a fan, that simulates outdoor enviornment using wind. Think of it like the forest but your growing indoors replecating outdoor enviornment but controlable Gavin my 2cents

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X