I broke her little arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I broke her little arm

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1116.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	587183 Well, I managed to stake everybody out, but that led to casualties. I didn't know about the special gardeners' twisty ties and that cost me three branches off my babies. Boo Hoo. I'm not gonna cry though I can make it up you see I've still got a secret weapon... I fimmed these babies! They're growing new shoots as we speak as you will see in the pics (looks like a head of cabbage growing out of the top of that one).But I got one sick puppy, looks like nitrogen burn, but I don't know where it came from and I got one with a limb in a cast, but she's been that way for two days and she's not drying up so.. . I think we're good on that.
    All said... lookin' good. Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1108.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	587174
    Attached Files
    Last edited by OverMedicated; 01-29-2023, 12:33 AM.

Hey OverMedicated, I'll make a suggestion - when you want to bend or twist a branch around, don't just go right for the goal. Give her a feel first, squeeze her, fondle her, if u will lol. Roll some of that soft tissue around that's under the bark where u want it to bend between your thumb and index finger. Make it a tad more malleable. This is something that is used in a HST technique called supercropping, but can also be used, not quite as extreme, to get a feel for what ur working with. Remember, as the plant ages it will become more ridged. So most LST needs to be set in place before flowering.
    Oh, and don't fret over broken branches. We've all done it. Just straighten them out and prop em up as best you can. They usually always heal.
    I hope you find this somewhat helpful. Good luck!
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

• OverMedicated
      OverMedicated commented
      Editing a comment
      Guilty... and worse, I'm the nervous type.

I agree with B2269. Soften up the stem in the area you want to bend it first. Gently but firmly squeeze the stem until it is crushed and softened, but not broken. After this the stem will be more compliant to bending in the direction you want it to go. The area will heal stronger than it was to start with and will probably form a knuckle at the bend. It sounds a little severe to crush the stem, but be brave and go for it. Avoid severe breaks in the future.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I had to do this with my Acapulco. Done early like they are saying. Grab the stem and just squeeze a bit. You will feel it. It may need some support at first but it will heal and be strong again.
      Attached Files

Comment

They are tough plants. I’ve definitely broke a few over the time I’ve been growing. They almost all recovered if they got some first aid. Usually propped up and taped is enough

This bud still grew to maturity even in its broken condition

Comment

Maybe start a little bit earlier next time. I've been starting around 5" tall and as others said, you don't have to do it all at once. Bend it a little more maybe every other day.
          Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
          Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
          Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Thankfully you noticed when it happened...

Comment

After I broke a few, I started using equal and opposite pressure pulling the main stem down only 20-30 degrees with the first tie down, just to break apical dominance. The first tie stays where it is and as the stem grows out, I put on a second tie down and keep moving that out as the plant grows, slowly increasing the angle to almost horizontal. This method has eliminated damage from LST for me. This plant will be horizontal by this time next week.
              Last edited by quirk; 01-29-2023, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Y'all are right. I'm too impatient. I need to take my time and bend it easy.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X