Wood Moisture Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Moisture Meter

Anyone have a good link on how to use these to determine when to jar the flowers for curing?

Welcome SHRED.
    There are many methods to the curing process. Often the exterior of the buds will feel over-dry when they're ready for a jar. Though there is still moisture inside.
    This is a good place to start:
    This tutorial teaches you the best way to dry and cure cannabis buds after harvest, which greatly increases bud quality. Quality drying/curing ensures the best smelling, most dense and highest potency marijuana buds!
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Just toss a couple of buds in a jar with a hygrometer,if it reads around 60% you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Blowdout2269 View Post
        Welcome SHRED.
        There are many methods to the curing process. Often the exterior of the buds will feel over-dry when they're ready for a jar. Though there is still moisture inside.
        This is a good place to start:
        https://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-curing
        Interesting the drying section recommends 70° and 50% rh. Most everywhere I look I read 60° and 60%. And OBTW the buds hanging in the closet on those multicolored hangers was a pic of mine from years ago.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Close enough though SHRED it's a trial figuring out moisture in the buds. I break down large dense buds put them on a screen but i check by squeezing or breaking it apart daily. I don't sell nor grow to show off my product so it's not trimmed so tight you loose the trichs cause i use that for keif butter or hash. Leave a tad bit of suger leaf dries abit slower. Takes so trial by fire to know it's jar able. I burp jars for 2wks or more.

• AGH
          AGH commented
          Editing a comment
          You bring up a great point and an awesome learning opportunity! Temp and humidity are related. You may already have a general understanding that warmer air has the capacity to hold more moisture than cooler air. This is measured in the weight of water vapor. If you look at a Psychrometric chart, you'll see that the weight of water vapor in the air is pretty much the same (approx 60 grains or units) at 70 degrees/50% as at 60 degrees and 60%. So both options are essentially the same thing when it comes to factoring in what matters.

Learning opportunity number two: it's not rocket science. I say that in a loving encouraging way so that you have the confidence to trust yourself - you know more than you think and when you listen to your gut, you're probably right. Oftentimes growers get caught up in PPD and pH numbers and TDS and EC. All that matters for sure, but when growing (and even drying/curing) those are 'symptoms' of what you put into your grow with your inputs being environmental factors within your control, ie. temp, RH, nutrients, ventilation, circulation, lighting, etc.

So glad you're diving deeper and getting advice from all of the experience the growers here have!

I think that it really depends on your own personal abilities. I have tried both. As well as many others. They all work to a certain degree. Remember to take your worldly environmental factors into consideration. What's going on outside at the current time of year in your location can play a big roll, unless you have 100% control over the process.
        I am far from a drying/curing expert here. Though I will say that every one is documented as an improvement in smell, trim, and feel so far. So that's a win in my book. And full disclosure here: I do not consume. So I am always relying on smoke reports of friends and family lab rats, lol.
        I'd also like to here what you think would work best for you and why. Or if you've already tried, I wanna hear that too. Maybe myself and others here at GWE can help you along.
        Good luck!
        Last edited by Blowdout2269; 01-17-2023, 04:35 AM.
        Back to playin in the dirt!
        Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
        I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X