No announcement yet.

Stanky old and new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SoOrbudgalBlowdout2269 I have a 3x3x6 tent. I have two lights in there one is a old school viper Spectra 600 blurple at 260 Watts from the wall and the other is a green sunshine 180 that maxes out at 200 but I have it turned down almost to the lowest setting because my leaves have been tacoing. The green sunshine is 18 in from the canopy, I would raise it but it's as high as it could go. The viper Spectra is probably the same. This really is the most consistent grow I've ever had and I think it's due to two major changes I made.

One, I potted the plants in the biggest pots I could, 15 gallons, with a lot of good amendments, mostly my own worm compost but also biochar and a mycorrhiza drench. In retrospect, I'm not sure how much the mycorrhiza drench is really needed because fungi and bacteria are in fresh compost. Really I think it's just a big pot and soil with lots of aeration and lots of decomposed organic matter.

Second, I bought the AC Infinity controller that manages my outflow air, a heater, The circulating air, and in the beginning I had a ultrasonic mister in there. The controller keeps everything at the right temperature and humidity and vapor pressure differential.

This all is a lot of fancy stuff for my style, but looking back I think my grows would be hit or miss for two reasons. One was I was just leaving my environment up to luck. I had an outflow valve and would sort of feel whether it seemed cold or hot and turn it up or down because of that,
    but I didn't take any temperature or humidity readings and so I think it was just luck. Second, I was using bottled nutrients but didn't really know how to decipher problems and whether they were due to environment or too much nutrients or two little nutrients or pH. Looking back I think I would often respond to environmental problems with nutrients and that sometimes was making the problem worse. Using the living soil has removed the guesswork from that.

On the other hand, maybe this particular grow is also just luck. I have had many good grows before, this one is just the most consistent.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope Franklin it's what you've learned and worked it for yourself into what's comfortable and starts easy. I was thinking about the old vipar cause i've got 2 older models myself, they worked better for me in winter couple years back before i got this newer Qboard. Now i know it's because of temps they were much warmer inside my 3x3 and i had both going at same time and rocked that tent but good!! I had a fan going all the time with lights on. Thanks for the info.

• AGH
      AGH commented
      Editing a comment
      I second SoOrbudgal! Don't sell yourself short! You've learned from your experiences and everything that you say is 100% correct and is why I also grow organic.

Be proud and keep learning!

Ten days since the last post and eight since heavy defoliation. I took a different approach to defoliation than usual, I removed all the lower bud sites but left most of the lower fan leaves, and then removed fan leaves from the top 6 inches or so. The first picture is what it looked like immediately after defoliation, the other pictures are what it looks like now. Interestingly, the blackjack, which if you recall was 3 weeks behind, shot up during stretch and is now basically the same height as it's older sisters.
    Attached Files

Comment

You're doing great! Interesting experiment with the defoliation, let us know how that goes!

I have always defoliated my plants as well, once about a week before the flip and once a few weeks after that. Although some say to defoliate at the flip and then a few weeks later.

This run, I'm going to do minimal defoliation to see how that goes compared to the relatively aggressive defoliations I've done before. My thought is that with an organic grow, the plant may enjoy having more stores of nutrients in the leaves as an easy access point instead of having to have the roots do all the work. This is based on nothing more than some casual observations so we'll see!

I know that Nebula did a side by side experiment with defoliation vs non-defoliation and the defoliated plants did significantly better although she left the question about defoliating organic grows as an open question and the thought of doing that experiment as well. Heck, maybe I'll do the experiment myself if I feel motivated enough!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
      Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
      Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

AGH this was exactly my thought, that by leaving the lower leaves on I'm providing energy and nutrients stores. Removing the top fan leaves is just to provide better light penetration to bud sites

Comment

Another week, another update. Everything continues to go really well. I'm amazed at how hands off this living soil approach is. The blackjack, which is 3 weeks younger than its oldest sibling and was several inches below the canopy when I switched to 12/12, has stretched like mad and is now almost hitting the light. Turns out I was really lucky that I didn't let this one grow longer! They are now in their third week since the switch so hopefully it will slow down. The flowers are looking really nice on all of them, three out of the four have even started throwing some frost. It's also starting to stink in there, not too strong yet but I hope it gets there soon!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
            Bowhunterwoody commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice. Nice and healthy.

• changeofpace2014
            changeofpace2014 commented
            Editing a comment
            Not much of a break between the seed run Franklin...The New Grow is looking really nice...

Nice grow, color is spot on. Natural nutrients are kicking in.

Comment

Been two weeks since the last update. The USA cookies have been showing some problems, yellowing leaves, curling at times. I think they're more sensitive to the light being bright, they were the ones that got upset earlier when I had to turn the lights down. I think it's forcing them to work too intensely and the nutrients aren't able to keep up in the soil. I've turned the light down some but I also want to pack on the other plants, which are doing great. The super skunk is throwing big bats, super long and they look like they will fatten up nicely. The smell on the super skunk isn't so much skunky right now as just kind of garbagey in a good way. The blackjack is long and slender and is throwing little golf balls and has a really nice perfumey sweet smell. However the real winner is the sour Diesel, which smells like sour candy. I'm going to cross it with my orange Skittles strain to make sour orange Skittles and I think it will be perfect.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Franklin; 04-03-2023, 08:58 AM. Reason: Edited to fix some autocorrect problems

Comment

• changeofpace2014
              Editing a comment
              Franklin's Candy Store....looking Good ...

• AGH
              AGH commented
              Editing a comment
              You're rocking it out! Nicely done and thanks for sharing the pics - they look great!

• dirtymike
              dirtymike commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect is what im thinking to Franklin. those are some nice buds, Dibbs on a bean of that sour orange Skittles.

Two weeks since an update so here goes. I'm at week 8 since switching to 12:12. The cookies continue to struggle a little bit with leaf yellowing. I was trying to keep my lights as bright as possible so as to make all the other plants happy but I finally turned it down and that seems to have slowed down the yellowing a bit. I think it was just too demanding on the plant, drawing too many nutrients that weren't there because the organic soil couldn't keep up. The cookies are impressive in terms of the amount of frost! Very heavy, the scent is just okay though. The real winner continues to be the sour Diesel, I can't wait to do a taste test of these things and see what plays out but that sour d is amazing. The skunk is getting nice fat buds and the blackjack is not, it's staying slender with larfy bud s. The blackjack does smell nice though. Picture 2 is the super skunk, picture 3 is the cookies, picture four is the sour Diesel, and picture five is the blackjack.
            Attached Files

Comment

• changeofpace2014
              Editing a comment
              Franklin is the blue from your lights or is that B...really that blue?

• dirtymike
              dirtymike commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm impressed, Those are nice

changeofpace2014 Blue is from the lights. I have one full spectrum and one blurple so the photos can be a little weird.

Comment

It's been about 2 weeks since my last post and I'm in my 10th week since the switch to 12:12. These things are coming down any day now. The cookies continue to fade really horrifically with some crispy leaves but the rest of the plants just look great. This all organic living soil grow has been wonderful. One lesson learned is to back off on the intensity of my lights a little bit. I think I was pushing the cookies too hard. They did wonderfully all through veg but in flower have just been struggling. I've heard they can be tough during flower. Sour d continues to be the real winner. In the last two weeks it has changed from a sour candy smell to finally have some fuel and diesel undertones with the sour. The buds are just so stupidly dense and smell so great. The blackjack is really gone from being a plant that I wasn't happy with to smelling fantastic, And the buds of tightened up a bit as the calyxes swelled so large. Has this really wonderful vanilla floral aroma. And the skunk doesn't really smell like skunk just smells kind of like poop in a good way. Even with my charcoal filter, when I walk in my house I can smell old school weed. I love it. All in all, I'm super happy. Hopefully I can get this stuff cured right and slow and some nice flavors will come out of it all.
              Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                How beautiful those photos are, these need to be submitted to @SirusFourside for a news letter the reflections on the fade is lovely. Nope I did'nt take any acid my mind is clear............well sorta

• changeofpace2014
                Editing a comment
                Franklin are the girls Autos or photo? Curious to how one can crank out so many grows in such a short time..Hell I am still on the final blue berry run...Nice Grow and Really Nice Results...

• dirtymike
                dirtymike commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, that's some beautiful full buds. 10 weeks of flower time. Nice!!

changeofpace2014 these are photos. I have two tents. Funny, though, I thought you were cranking out grows faster than me, and wondering how you did it. The sour Diesel seed for this girl popped on January 1st, so it took 5 months! The other tent that I have I'm using for seeding and those used clones and some seeds that I flipped to flower after just a few weeks, I didn't care if they were small because I just want about 25 seeds from each plant

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                Editing a comment
                Might of lost track,...lol but started off with seeds and when they were big enough, I started to LST them for the smurf tent - To many nice cuttings to toss so they were rooted and put under wifes CFLs for her outside stuff and when those were ready to go in to the tent, they were LST ed and more cuttings...see where this is going...4 different groups of cuttings since Dec...The last set is finishing up....Dam Blue Berry is funny, I think it has a couple of harvest windows with respect to milky tricomes and it even has a stage where resin just covers the buds for a few weeks, right before they start to become dense...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X