Duration of High

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duration of High

Does the trichome stage effect the length of the high. I know that early harvest lends to a speedy high and full amber lends itself to couch lock or is this nothing more the genetics in the strain.

As far as I can tell, it's genetics.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I have not grown in a while, except the wife's outdoor plants can never finish up here unless we change strains, but she enjoys growing. That has left me dabbling with the local weed store for something different to smoke...(for now at least).. The other day I purchased some jet fuel gelatoe (thc over 25%) but the high only last for 2 hrs tops. That made me wonder if the time of harvest effects the duration of high as well. I suspect the big corp grow opp is in a hurry to harvest, but maybe that is not the case...

thanks for reply OG

Comment

I also think that it's the genetics along with correct lighting an enviornment. I also think it has to do with consumption of food in the body.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• changeofpace2014
          changeofpace2014 commented
          Editing a comment
          Please explain your consumption theory...I know that applies to alcohol some what.

• BU2B
          BU2B commented
          Editing a comment
          I really think THE NURSE probably knows and is right! Nothing is an island. Genetics is a given but many other factors can and do affect the duration of your high. “Seems to me it’s chemistry” ✌️

Yup, strain type is what makes the difference. It also depends on the individual...like drinking, some can handle it better than others
        I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

IF you wish the effects to last longer, decarboxylate it and ingest it. The high will last something like 4 times longer and be more intense. It can be added to any food or concentrated before adding, or just eat it. I also agree, genetics in the plant and the person.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
            Editing a comment
            Thats a given Rwise, but I was referring to smoking...I really really love brownies...

As several have mentioned, the length of the high depends on a lot of factors including how recently/what you've eaten, how hydrated/stressed/etc you are, along with many other factors. Genetics sets the foundation for what a strain will do and how long or intense the high will last. Growing factors affect that too. Harvest decisions do affect how 'up or down' the effects might be, but you're not really going to take an extremely sedative strain and make it energetic by harvesting early or vice versa. It's kind of like cooking salmon. It's going to be salmon regardless of how long you cook it. Some people like it a little bit more rare and others like it more cooked through and crispy on the outside. No matter how long you cook it, it's not going to be a steak.

Where the color of the trichomes comes in is helping to 'see' what cannabinoids are there. As the trichomes turn amber, that shows that some of the THC is changing (through degradation but that's a negative term and this change isn't good or bad) to CBN which is what is mainly responsible for the couchlock feeling as CBN is one of the 'sleepy' cannabinoids. There is a sweet spot that the breeder has aimed for and as a rule of thumb, it's when about 10-30% of the trichs have turned amber. Consider that a medium rare filet. Some prefer to harvest before that and enjoy a rare steak while others prefer to harvest after that and prefer a more medium well steak.

Not sure if any of that helps, but it has made me hungry!
          Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
          Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

• changeofpace2014
            Editing a comment
            I am more inclined to think it has to do with the CBN s..It was just an observation...When I smoke thai or one of the crosses, the high will last a long time..never timed it but it is more then a couple of hours...Clearly I am not stoned for the entire duration, but high..but that jet fuel geloato was nice to smoke, a good head rush with high thc but after a couple hrs at most it was like Thats It....

Thanks 4 the feed back

Comment

I've wondered about this...the first high of the day is always the best and most intense for me. The brain cells that control how the body reacts to THC can only take so much. Not sure if it's genetics or not, I'll take others advice on that, but I do experience different highs, and lengths of the high from the different cultivars I've grown. And I think the trichomes play a role. I harvested some Granddaddy Purple too soon. The high's good but it doesn't last long. Different grow, same cultivar from the same breeder but more cloudy trichomes at harvest has produced a longer lasting high. So, I'm not sure if there is a one size fits all answer for how long a high lasts.
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• changeofpace2014
              Editing a comment
              Good point on the wake and bake, as well as your own observation with the type of harvest...early, late etc... The store bought weed is what prompted me to consider this question. I had to wonder if all the large grow opps practice early harvest, resulting in more $ for them and shorter / less intense high for the consumer...

• golfnrl
              golfnrl commented
              Editing a comment
              Wouldn't surprise me about the pro grows. I live in OK and the state has medical but not recreational, yet. That'll come up for a vote in 2023. But the law will mandate that recreational will be lower in THC than the medical grade. How? Not so sure. Maybe it's an early harvest as you were wondering.

See I can't wake and bake. My day would be ruined. Be like wake and bake and take a nap. I'm an evening toker. After the chores are done.......and shit. For you gen z kids.
            keeping it green with the soil thing
            love me some frosty autos
            braap
            BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
            Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
            the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
            blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• golfnrl
              golfnrl commented
              Editing a comment
              Going2fast I hear ya. I shouldn't wake and bake, but I do. I've amazed myself seeing how I did some of my chores and shit while stoned. Memo to self...no drywall mudding while stoned.

• changeofpace2014
              Editing a comment
              You just need a little Thai....

Lol, yeah. I used to like just one little puff in the morning. But over the years that has gone away. And at this point in time, it would definitely wreck me.
            Back to playin in the dirt!
            Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
            I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Yeah, I normally wait until at least 8:30 in the morning before hitting the bong. Just an arbitrary time I chose. I pretty much continue hitting it every 2 or 3 hours until maybe 9 at night. I'd have to agree with Blowdout2269, wrecks me every time. And speaking of that, just exactly where is that bong?

Comment

• KLAX
                KLAX commented
                Editing a comment
                golfnrl, nothing wrong at all with having a favorite bong, other than possible jealousy amongst the others bongs.

• golfnrl
                golfnrl commented
                Editing a comment
                KLAX I've only got two bongs. I see the other one and hit it every now and again just so it doesn't get jealous.

• changeofpace2014
                Editing a comment
                Man that a hell of thing when your bongs start competing....

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X