Favorite trimming scissors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite trimming scissors?

I'm in the market for some new trimming scissors, anyone have any favorites they'd like to suggest? Thanks in advance.

Fiskars Softtouch Micro-tip is my go-to.
    The black or gold non-stick(I use this term loosely) are what I really like, but if you're like me, and collect the scissor hash by scraping one pair with another, be warned...the coating will eventually start to come off. And it's probably not good to smoke that stuff, lol. It's just hard to find the stainless Micro-tip locally. So I collect with care.
    I have several Fiskars and a nice pair of Carona stainless that I use for different things like pruning and harvesting. But, the Micro-tip is my favorite for fine tuning.

Sorry, that was kinda long winded.
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

For years I used Standard Fiskars. But I found I like VivoSun and here’s why:
      ​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	732B6435-EF75-4FCF-8F46-6FBDADDF5C04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	580664
      Both scissors used about the same # of times and cleaned the same.
      VS blades are larger than SF. Vs lasts longer / notice rust on SF. VS spring is much larger and stronger. VS lock mechanism is smaller and less prone to breakage.​
      Last edited by BU2B; 11-17-2022, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Blue handle ones from the dollar store have worked great year after year for me but you have to buy them in the spring.....and now they're 1.25$
        You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Gotta love inflation!

Comment

My problem is most have too small of thumb holes

Comment

I used the vivosun spring loaded ones and thought they were great. Sometimes during the trimming they'd get stuck in the closed position so that was annoying but other than that they were good.

The creme de la creme of trimming scissors for me are the Chicamasa scissors:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JSYB9I6...roduct_details The lack of a spring was actually a benefit. It seemed to make my hand less tired and I trimmed 4 plants and they didn't gum up at all! They're a bit on the pricier side, but for me, totally worth it! You can get them in straight bladed like I have or with a curve to the left or right if you prefer a curved tip.
              Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
              Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

• KLAX
                KLAX commented
                Editing a comment
                Additionally, they have a bent pair too. The tip is straight, but as you hold the scissors in profile, you can see the tip is not in line with the handles.

• changeofpace2014
                changeofpace2014 commented
                Editing a comment
                These suck completely..or at lest mine do. They were purchased a month ago and they are bent!!! Freaky because they only cut foliage...

• AGH
                AGH commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Chageofpace - where are they bent? There are several models of the chicamasa scissors, some of which have a purposely bent tip as some growers prefer a bent tip for trimming. I almost accidentally ordered the bent tip ones so that's why I ask. If they are defective (or even if you accidentally ordered a bent tip pair - noted by an 'L' or 'R' in the model of scissor) you should be able to send them back for the straight tip ones.

Acetone is a great cleaner solvent for the resin. I've been dry trimming as of late. Kind of like the less stickiness.

Comment

I also have these curved oves that madman referenced. I do like them. But it seems like they stick a lot. And not because of the residue, but the tight tip of the curve.
                Last edited by Blowdout2269; 11-18-2022, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I use these things called Pirahna Pruners. Bought at the local grow shop. They have the anti-stick coating with a straight tip. I've tried the Fiskars. Not a fan. Although I have not tried the heretofore unknown to me stainless steel tipped model. That might be worth a look. I use rubbing alcohol to clean mine. Haven't used acetone.
                  Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
                  Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
                  Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Yeah I'm a fiskars guy too.
                    keeping it green with the soil thing
                    love me some frosty autos
                    braap
                    BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
                    Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
                    the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
                    blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Chikamasa. These are Japanese scissors made, I believe, for bonsai. They're very comfortable in my hands. I have a bent pair too. They were NOT inexpensive, but they are not cheap, either. Freakin' awesome scissors! These are a precision tool. Guess you can see what I've been doing, hehe. I don't know what exactly the scale is for.

Above is a link AGH has kindly provided for these. Thank you!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by KLAX; 11-18-2022, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I've only been at this for a while and the first scissors I bought specifically for weed were the fiskars micro tip. I've been using the same pair for quite a few years. I keep a cheaper pair around to cut the bigger stems and save the fiskars for the fine work. I clean them with Everclear several times a session. Don't know about acetone. Might leave a residue. I know it use to leave a visible residue on my arrow shafts before fletching. Had to change to isopropanol for those.

Comment

I bought the usual Friskars for my first trim and they lasted about 30 minutes before the they bent. I went to my electronics shop and a got normal pair of dikes (diagonal wire cutters about 7" long) and use them now. They are never going to bend and I think the cutting crushing action is better for the stalks. That's my .00006 BT worth.
                          Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
                          Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
                          Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

I use the Fiskars like everyone else as well as an off brand pair. I use denatured alcohol to clean them and do so several times while harvesting.
                            Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                            5 gallon cloth pots
                            30"x30"x60" tent
                            Spider Farmer SE3000
                            Coco Pearlite mix
                            GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X