A note about Rosin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A note about Rosin

Alas, I'm between harvests and resorted to consuming my cannabutter experiment. I only had a little flower left to experiment with my Nugsmasher, so I used a little to mix into butter.

I don't like the taste of cannabis so was reluctant to utilize it. Yesterday, I figured I better give it a try before it went bad. It'd been two months.

I was extremely pleased with the effects and it only was mildly unpleasant to my taste. I mixed it with oatmeal.

I was surprised how much Sativa effects presented and the overall good feeling it gave me. I can guarantee I'll be doing more experiments, dialing in specific amounts of rosin.
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

I love my new heat press but dealing with the gooey mess is not a skill I have fully acquired yet. I seem to wear as much rosin as I jar. I have 16 grams of kief I'll be pressing into hash tonight using a press mold that is getting delivered today. If you want to mitigate the bad taste, you might want to try using your butter in fudge. Oatmeal was an interesting choice.

Comment

Ah, rosin. Some stuff, that rosin, wot? Yep-yep. Sure 'nuff.
      I'm going to keep reading y'alls's comments about you nug smashers. It looks easy enough in videos, but no one seems to have great success.
      How do you plan on using your kief press, crucialbunny ?
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• crucialbunny
        crucialbunny commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny you should ask. I just pressed 2 wafers about an hour ago. I can't post a pic on your comment but I'll start a new post.

The recipe for cannabutter calls for 1 0z. of flower. I can't even remember how much rosin I mixed in but it was good. Once my 8 plants mature, I'll continue experimenting. Honestly, I preferred those effects to dabbing.
      A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

I used to make Cannabutter using the double boiler method but it always came out with a strong herbal weedy taste for me. Someone recommended a method to me where you put water in with the cooking Cannabutter then at the end you freeze it to separate the water from the butter. The water somehow makes the butter taste cleaner and less weedy when I do it this way.

I too am not a fan of the taste of weed so this method was such a good find for me.

Here’s a guide to the method I’m talking about if you’re interested:
        How to make cannabutter

Comment

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your suggestion!

Rosin has much less weed taste than flower, that's one reason why I prefer it. I'm still experimenting but my results thus far have been tantalizing with my cannabutter.

Since I'm using pucks, I simply melt the butter, add the pucks and cook for about 40 minutes. The effects aren't nearly as narcotic, much more cerebral for me.

Two things come to mind here when it comes to your woes.

1. The taste. I have long been a HUGE advocate of the 'water cure' method to remove the terps/flavs of bud (or especially ABV) when it comes to making edibles. The water cure method is super simple and removes a shit-ton of the non actives in my edibles. (I merely use a French Press and change the water in it daily until it runs clear, then dry it between some coffee filters and a fan)

2. Rosin can be a pain to work with BUT is more manageable when its cold(er). To collect, a cold plate is a must and sometimes I even freeze the rosin itself for a brief moment before working with it. (Oh, and always wear gloves)

Once I get comfortable enough with my own grows and stash, I plan to attempt some water cured rosin presses only for the intent of using them to cook with.
        (And as stated above, I have some pucked up butter too) Heck, I might even do a water cured puck session before I cook them down into a butter.
        Hmmmmmm

Comment

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your contribution, I will certainly look into water curing. My biggest complaint is that I apparently am not allowing enough time for decarbing. My simple exercise of extracting rosin from cooking cannabutter is much more effective than the post-pressing decarbing the rosin itself. Does it matter whether you decarb before or after? The company representatives I've spoken to aren't forthcoming, only advocating for decarbing the rosin.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X