Males and Females

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Males and Females

About to get started with some reg's so i'm going to have some males. In an effort to make some seeds so I do not have to reorder/preserve i'm planning on moving the males to a separate tent to harvest the pollen. The tent they would be in has a large filter and fan but it does empty back in the room (I dont have to worry about smell) and is located next to the tent where the females will be.

If I keep the tent with the females closed while I work with the males and shower/change clothes before working with the females, can I successfully avoid contamination? I could move the tent with the males to another place in the house but i'd rather not if I dont have to.

Thoughts?

I'd say it's a gamble either way. But what do I know.
    I haven't done any kind of seed project yet, and I'm probably a little paranoid, lol.
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

I'm so impressed with you folks that do all this sophisticated stuff to your seeds/plants. I've never done anything like that either.

Comment

Why not make feminized seed? No males needed, and no males to pull next grow, yes you could still get a hermie.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
          Why not make feminized seed? No males needed, and no males to pull next grow, yes you could still get a hermie.
          Eventually I may go that route but for now, I don't want to do that as I still need yield. I'd rather take some pollen and dust a few lower buds. When i'm in a position to, i'd definitely play around with reversing a female but now is not that time for me.

Comment

I think it's a risk, but not one that can't be mitigated. Cannabis pollen and the pistils that it sticks to are really good at doing what evolution has designed them to do...creating seeds to make sure there are future generations.

I'd personally move the tent to another location as well as take care of the female plants before the male plants to mitigate risk. But know that it's just that...a mitigated risk, not an eliminated one.

Hope it works and if it does, it'll be fun for you to get into working with genetics!
            Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
            Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X