Playing using my loupe on my phone camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing using my loupe on my phone camera

Do you use a loupe to look at your trichomes? I held mine in front of the camera lens and got a much closer pic than using the camera alone (though not as big as using the loupe and eye) ... I think the picture came out okay. I've seen add-on lens accessories for phones but never thought they'd work well now I'm rethinking that.

First, was close as I can get with phone alone. Second using the loupe.
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Wow, that's quite a difference. Clearly the same bud with that distinctive hair across the top. Makes me think I should try this. Thank you, 90Gizmo.

Comment

Lol "distinctive hair"...come on, give him break!
      It's probably carpet fiber.
      Back to playin in the dirt!
      Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
      I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        I think so. I had the same artifacts occasionally last grow. It's a wool carpet so... organic? Could be from a cat. Ditto.

• KLAX
        KLAX commented
        Editing a comment
        Whatever it is, it makes the bud/photo distinctive.

I've got a USB microscope and sometimes I can see black plant hairs with the white ones.

Comment

Yep, Loupe and a phone: the poor man's path to macro-photography!

I just got a spiffy tripod with a long gooseneck to hold my iPhone focus steady and the improvement in focus is dramatic. It came with a bluetooth widget that snaps the pic without touching the phone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	218
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	579824
        My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
        I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
        Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

What magnification was the lens you used? I have a 10x and a 60x lens on my loupe, so I'll give it a try when my lights come on and I check on the girls this morning!

Sure made for some cool pics!
          Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
          Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

• 90Gizmo
            90Gizmo commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm using a 10x. I can barely keep that steady. I imagine 60x would need a tripod like GOM uses.

Here are the loupes I have on hand.
          • Generic "30x" Chino garbage! Is likely a badly ground 10x, Amazone Special. Buyer beware
          • Antique Wards 10x from oceanography days. Plenty good enough
          • Best of Breed Delomo 15x Triplet, as good as it gets, More difficult to use than the 10x for positioning and focus, but what you see, you see *really* well!
          Cheers,
          Grouchy

Here's the 15x at full resolution: Orange Grove x GG4 RIL

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	604.3 KB ID:	579983
          I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
          Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• AGH
            AGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Holy moly, that's awesome! I'll look into that because it puts my little loupe to shame!

@madman,

Simple, just the 15x loupe clipped against my old iPhone on a really good tripod to hold it steady. I cropped the high-rez image to show the most interesting area. I use this to check trichome ripening before harvest.

-Grouchy

-Grouchy

Comment

Hi Guest, Here are a couple more pics of my photo gear. I had impressive results even with my old iPhone 4 so you'll likely be fine. The tripod in the pic is perfect for this assignment.

Cheers,
            -Grouchy

I scrounged the white clip from a usb microscope and it works perfectly to hold the loupe to the phone; Put the glass in the loupe closest to the phone's camera lens.

Views:	177
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	580103

Views:	155
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	580104

Wireless shutter release: Priceless!

Views:	168
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	580105

-Grouchy

Comment

My photos was with the Wards. The space between the case and the lens is perfect to fit lens over the camera bump.
              Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
              Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

[QUOTE=90Gizmo;n579744] I think the picture came out okay. I've seen add-on lens accessories for phones but never thought they'd work well now I'm rethinking that.

I bought a 100mm macro lens that clips on an Iphone or Android. I find focusing seems better on the Iphone than my old Samsung Galaxy.
              I took a couple of free hand 'photos this morning after seeing this post. I think they could be better with a tripod - Unfortunately no trichomes to be seen at the moment (that is subject of another post) Current price of these are around $14.19. Very solidly built / heavy. comes with lens caps. Got mine from a Chinese Co free p&p (Same lens's double + price on Amazon

Last edited by Heisenbud; 11-09-2022, 08:46 AM.
              80 cm x 80 cm x 200 cm grow tent
              Portable 500w oil filled heater
              12.5 litre air pots - Coco coir,Perlite​
              Air circulation fan & extraction fan/filter
              Dehumidifier/humidifier ~ 'Ink Bird' controllers.
              Presently using 'Canna' nutrients / distilled water.
              'Photone' par/ppfd meter app for Iphone/Android
              Hanna HI 9214 Ph meter / Bluelab Truncheon E.C / ppm meter
              'Fecida' LED full spectrum 1000w equivalent / 125 watt draw from mains

Comment

Hey folks, if you really want to experience the "State of the Art" in cannabis macrophotography invest a little time on this thread:

Well, most of you probably know me by now. I’m that crazy fucker who is obsessed with cannabis contamination. I seriously won’t see a fucking bug, fungus, or pesticide/fungicide residue on my plant. I’m so obsessive about how far along my crop is…the density of trichome field. I want to know it all!!! What kinds of resins and whatever, I don’t even know what I am going to see in the scope…so that’s why I make sure to look at every single batch I possibly can. OK intro is over. I’m kind of lazy ...

(not my usual practice to post links on another site, but you'll only find this genius there...)

Views:	161
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	580226

-Grouchy

Comment

• 90Gizmo
                  90Gizmo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @gom Thanks for the link. The pictures are great but the text is a tough read. Made me think of Mr Monk checking his weed before a smoke.

• ChubbNugg
                  ChubbNugg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I followed the above link to the overgrow site. Looked at some of the microscopy photos. The one that stuck out the most to me was the "CHUNKY" photo. It took me a while but over time I learned that if you water your plants with a sprayer, I guarantee some dirt will fly up and stick. Also plants outside get a lot of that chunky stuff from water bouncing up off the ground.

I bought was clip on macro lens for $2 USD. (Would you say this bud is mostly cloudy very little/no amber?) It seems clearer. I think I'm going to need a tripod before pics get much better.
                Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• 90Gizmo
                  90Gizmo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So... White hair means new calyx are growing and my bud will get fatter?

• 3Berries
                  3Berries commented
                  Editing a comment
                  White hairs is still making new flower.

• ChubbNugg
                  ChubbNugg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It looks Clear to mostly Cloudy with Little to No Amber at all.

90Gizmo - Not necessarily. She just hasn't reached full maturity. Either that or foxtailing. And it doesn't appear to be the latter as of now.
                Back to playin in the dirt!
                Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
                I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X