THC testing for home growers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THC testing for home growers

I often wonder about the THC percentage of the pot I grew last year as well as what this year's potency might clock in at. Without getting too exotic with some kind of expensive machine, has anyone tried a home test kit thingy? I'm particularly interested in the thin-layer chromatography testing. Has anybody tried one of these test kits? Or any other style/type of test kit.

Thank you so much in advance!

Regarding the pictures, left is a Deadhead OG, on the right is an Arjan Haze and a bud from each.
    Attached Files

I'm trying to find a previous post about this. I believe it even had the same title.
    But our other topic has me eating food now, so don't hold your breath for a response.

EDIT: Yeah, there's two posts about this by Farmall.
    Use the advanced search feature and search title only for "THC testing".

....and I bit my tongue! Ow
    Last edited by Blowdout2269; 10-04-2022, 09:51 PM.
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Here they are:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...19-thc-testing
      &
      Given the current options for testing material at home. I know about the DX and the tCheck and have heard enough about those two that doesn’t convince me that they have consistent and repeatable results for spending between 500to $ 700. Quite a few states that have test services require you to either hand deliver or mail

Comment

Thank you, Blowdout2269. I had found one of those two links prior to my post. I should have mentioned that. Dang.

My guess is that thin-layer chromatography simply wasn't available for home use when those two threads were begun in 2019 and 2020.

I have now spent a bit of time searching for TLC test kits, and what I’ve found is I will be spending more time at this. That said, I did find a couple of interesting things. I should probably mention that I have the kind of brain that finds everyfuckingthing interesting. You’ve been warned.

First, I recently bought a couple of hygrometers, and I’m pleased I did so, but I wish I had found these prior to my purchase. Search “12 Pack Mini Small Digital Electronic Temperature Humidity Meters Gauge Indoor Thermometer Hygrometer LCD Display Fahrenheit (℉) for Humidors, Greenhouse, Garden, Cellar,” at Amazon. The hygrometers I bought were a bit larger in size and a LOT more expensive at $24 each. I believe these larger hygrometers are what at least a few folks here use (based on the pictures I’ve seen here). This 12 pack sells for about $20. Same functions (RH & temp). Every stinkin’ one of my jars is going to have its own hygrometer, and it’s not going to break the freakin’ bank.

The other thing I found is more esoteric but still relevant, at least in what’s left of my mind. It’s a history of chromatography in general. For example, did you know that modern chromatography began in the early 1900s with the publication of a paper by Russian botanist Mikhail Tswett? This article has links to the published sources for their timeline for those interested in digging deeper. Note that this article is on the Alpha-Cat web site, a company that sells lab testing equipment as well as CBD & CBG products. I have never used their products, but found the timeline of interest.​ I am not in any way promoting their products.
        Attached Files

Comment

Chromatography is very interesting indeed.
          I also use likely the same hygrometers, and I have one for every jar, lol.

Comment

• KLAX
            KLAX commented
            Editing a comment
            Color me jealous, hygromatically speaking.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X