• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Raspberry Pi Grow Tent Controller

Anyone else build one?
    If so, did you write your own software?
    ​​​​​
    I'll edit this later with details about my build, along with some more picture if anyone is interested.
    Edit: Details and more pics added in responses below
    Last edited by tulabis; 10-04-2022, 06:17 PM. Reason: added details/more pics links

Nice box! Clean work. May I ask what you're controlling/ monitoring end game is?

I'm working on a auto doser with a Arduino but definitely not put together as far as you are, most the coding has been copy paste work so far as a refresh and other projects has table this project until winter for me.

definitely interested.
    Last edited by Mr.furley; 09-30-2022, 11:36 PM.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

How cool...that's way beyond my technical capabilities...but I do appreciate DIY...as I do that a lot. Hope your project goes well.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Nice packaging. I'm just starting on mine. I've got an esp8286 relay board on the way. I will start with esphome then adapt to home assistant. Well be a nice upgrade to my home-rolled sensor network.
        Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
        Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
        Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• 90Gizmo
          90Gizmo commented
          Editing a comment
          Then I will be 91Gizmo.

Very nice! I too am a DIY-er and appreciate what you are doing here. But it exceeds my abilities to do one myself.
        Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
        5 gallon cloth pots
        30"x30"x60" tent
        Spider Farmer SE3000
        Coco Pearlite mix
        GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Howdy tulabis, very interesting and exciting project! A long time ago, when I was working in manufacturing engineering, I did some basic programming for machines like plasma and laser cutters, milling machines, and some very basic ladder logic stuff. I have not kept up with all of the latest methods in the digital world, so this is somewhat 'new' to me. Please do keep us posted on your progress.
          Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Might be interesting to RasPi techies. Talks about taking sensor readings and using AI to make decisions on what to do.
            https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/best-g...ns-27-09-2022/
            Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
            Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
            Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.furley View Post
              Nice box! Clean work. May I ask what you're controlling/ monitoring end game is?

I'm working on a auto doser with a Arduino but definitely not put together as far as you are, most the coding has been copy paste work so far as a refresh and other projects has table this project until winter for me.

definitely interested.

Currently it only monitors temperature and relative humidity (using a DHT22), and controls the lights, humidifier, and exhaust fan...however, it is set up to control up to 8 AC powered devices.

The software is ready for a heater if necessary, but I've yet to need that. If I was to need it, I'd be heating the closet in which the grow tent resides, rather running a heater inside the tent.

The only real oversight in this build was that, even though it has 8-relay controlled power outlets, I can only really use 3 outlets at once. Upon completing the case, only then did I try to plug the actual tent devices in, and only then did I realize my mistake in trying to make things as compact as possible...I made the damn outlets too close together, so transformer​ style plugs take up 3!! outlets. The outlets it's plugged into, as well as half of the two outlets on either side...DOH!

Also, in order to see what's going on in the tent, I need to pull up an SSH terminal to read the output from the python script that runs everything. Not really an oversight, but it is kind of annoying.

I used a power supply from a laptop charger to supply DC voltage needed to power everything, and I used a buck converter to bring down the 19VDC provided by the power supply, down to the 5VDC needed by the Pi, relay module, and sensor. The DHT22 is wired up with an ethernet cable for easy disconnect.

The software was written by me in Python. Nothing fancy, but it works. Might make the GitHub repo public if I ever get around to cleaning it up...

Version 2 Plans:
              • Space out the outlets.................
              • Convert DHT22 from the ethernet style plug to a USB style plug
              • Completely rewrite the software in Javascript/NodeJS and create a web panel to store and display logs and analytics, as well as control and monitor sensors and output states
              • Add an LCD screen on the case displaying sensor values and output states
              • Add soil Moisture/PH readings
              • Add an auto watering system (maybe)

Parts List (prices are as listed on Amazon while typing this)
              Last edited by tulabis; 10-04-2022, 06:20 PM. Reason: fix links

Comment

And some extra pictures...
                And as mentioned above.. notice the fan controller plug takes up half its neighboring outlet, too...
                Attached Files

Comment

I have been working on a Hydroponics Controller for the past years and have gone thru a few different phases. I have no training in programming. I've played around
                  with Raspberry Pi's and most recently...Arduinos

Originally I wanted it to control the level in the grow tank and reservoir. It will keep the grow tank full until it runs the reservoir dry or if there is a flood.
                  The grow tank and reservoir are 5 gallon buckets. I've been able to leave it and go away for 4 days, its really limited by the size of the reservoir tank.
                  Also wanted to monitor the tents temp and humidity.

After a while I eliminated the pH monitor...the probe would eventually fail if left in the grow tank 24/7. It also wasn't super accurate.
                  I eventually replaced it with a LUX sensor to measure the light.

The latest version moved the Temperature and Humidity readout off the main unit and have it sent via WiFi to a "dashboard" where I can view the readings online, anywhere.

I'm glad I played around with the arduinos, it was extremely frustrating at times due to my lack of coding experience, but I cobbled it together and it works...good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Insight View Post
                    I have been working on a Hydroponics Controller for the past years and have gone thru a few different phases. I have no training in programming. I've played around
                    with Raspberry Pi's and most recently...Arduinos
                    [...]
                    Very nice work, Insight!

What are you using for your dashboard front/back end? Coded by you?

This is my first time building an actual usable hardware project that wasn't confined to a test bench and breadboard, but, like you, I also have no formal programming training, but I do have some pretty extensive experience with "hobby" coding, in quite a few languages. I'm far less experience dealing with the hardware side of things, but I have also messed around a little with some very simple Arduino test projects.

As far as the PH probes go, I also got some of those as an afterthought, hoping to throw one into this project at the last minute, however, it wasn't until I received them and was working out how to implement them that I finally decided to read the reviews. I quickly realized the issue you mentioned concerning the probes eroding. I considered pressing on with the new plan to use one and only power it when it was actually taking a reading in order to (hopefully) extend the lifespan, however, I decided it wasn't worth including in this version as my original plan hadn't even included the PH probe and adding it with the auto-switching power feature would've meant moving everything to a new enclosure, after having it mostly completed and already being as cramped as it is inside.

Eventually I'll get around to testing out the auto-switching power theory!

My vision, as far as the enclosure goes, is quite similar to yours, with controls and readings accessible from the enclosure itself, as well as from the web. It's inspiring to see something so similar to what I'd like to achieve in the end...it motivates me to start work on version 2! Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Originally posted by tulabis View Post
                      Anyone else build one?
                      If so, did you write your own software?
                      ​​​​​
                      I'll edit this later with details about my build, along with some more picture if anyone is interested.
                      Write your own software? I can only dream of being that intelligent. But I'm old so. Details please. I do build my own pc's so not a total newb.
                      keeping it green with the soil thing
                      love me some frosty autos
                      braap
                      BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
                      Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
                      the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
                      blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by tulabis View Post

Very nice work, Insight!

What are you using for your dashboard front/back end? Coded by you?
                        Thanks for the "flowers".
                        As far as the dash board, I'm using Adafruit IO..... https://io.adafruit.com/

The data from the humidity/temp goes to a Feather Huzzah ESP8266 and transmits wifi data to the dashboard.......... https://www.adafruit.com/product/2821

There are examples of code on the website, I also found some code that was for a burglar alarm to help me with getting the data from the ESP8266 to the IO dashboard.

The hardest part of the project turned out to be monitoring the fluid levels in the Grow Tank and Nute Reservoir. I first tried using small nails at different heights in the bucket. It worked well at first, but after about 3 weeks the electrodes (nails) disintegrated, so I switched to stainless steel and then brass screws, they did not disintegrate but got totally coated in some kind of salt which insulated them and stopped working. I never considered the effects of electrolysis. So then I tried ultrasonic detectors to detect fluid levels...it wasn't too stable due all the bubbles in the Grow tank, I tried making a "baffle" to shield the sensors..it worked better but after about a month, the ultrasound module would fail due to getting too wet from the bubbles and dampness. I finally found something called E-tapes and they worked the best and are still working after about 2 years. https://www.adafruit.com/product/464

As far as the pH probes, I'm not sure if cycling them on and off will make any difference. I think its time spent totally immersed in the nute solution...after a few months they start giving erroneous readings, I think reads too low..they all failed the same way.

The Lux sensors work well........ https://www.adafruit.com/product/4162

As far as controlling the Humidity with a controller... I think you'll need a variable speed fan motor.....So far I'm extremely pleased with the AC Infinity Cloudline with controller.

Good luck and glad you started this thread... maybe some others with better programming abilities will get involved.
                        Last edited by Insight; 10-04-2022, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I feel like I'm on another planet right now...

This is all so interesting. I wish I knew more about how to do this myself! Definitely following along and re-reading, lol.
                          Back to playin in the dirt!
                          Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
                          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
                          I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

A homebrew Niwa! Cool! I'm running two Niwas in my tents. I only need a control for the lights, the exhaust fan (I tell the Niwa it's a dehumidifier) and a small no-frills heater in each tent. Have you considered trying to have your Mark 2 device run a contactor relay for an air conditioner?
                            Coconut Grove
                            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
                            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
                            32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
                            Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X