No announcement yet.

My Raspberry Pi Grow Tent Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've done a 180 because I have so many electronics projects on hold (since I've gotten my Steam Deck) that I've decided on starting at a higher level. I've been looking at Tuya Smart components since my latest grow light is compatable and I've had good luck with it. So I've got four AC sockets for turning stuff on and off, one dimmer for controlling the fan (*might not work) and a temp/RH sensor for control input. That should be a good starting point for about $65 USD.

* Light dimmers and motor speed controllers can be different. The iPower duct fan uses a simple SCR for speed control so I've got my fingers crossed that the smart dimmer on order isn't any more fancy.
    Last edited by 90Gizmo; 10-06-2022, 02:59 PM.
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

It's a start. I have my "humidifier" on a smart plug and the sensor wired. I'm not doing any control at this point, just monitoring. I expected I'd need at least 50% on the dimmer for the fan to start up. More like 60% but speed control on the duct fan is working.
      Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
      Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
      Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• 3Berries
        3Berries commented
        Editing a comment
        I took the rotary dimmer from my 4" inline and put it on a 4" axial and it worked, also starts up on the slow speed FWIW. Using it with a temp controller.

If the tent volume is large enough a constant slow minimum setting is nice. I use misters for humidifiers and add a bit of bleach to filtered rain water. In the tent that cycles on and off for humidity and temp gets a film build up. The tent with constant air flow, minimum of 1 out of 10, there is no build up.

But small tents are hard to control with constant air flow, usually getting too cold or dry. Too cold if it can't get the humidity down and too dry if it can't get the temp down.

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope come summer to use one tent to house the AC then run a blower to mix air into the growing tent as needed... I don't want to blow frigid air directly on the plants. The simple humidifier has a significant cooling effect... I need to study the complex interactions and test for some time before I'll feel good about leaving it running without supervision.

Several years ago I was sent a Rasberry Pi device, small black thing. If anyone can use it it's yours, I'm trying to declutter and organize.
      Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
      Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
      Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
      Various size fabric grow bags
      Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
      4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
      Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a very nice offer. I hope someone takes you up on that because they are in short supply with the chip shortage going on. Gougers are charging 2-10x MSRP. I'm SBC-rich at the moment so I hope it will help someone else.

• tulabis
        tulabis commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, I'll absolutely take you up on that! I could definitely use a second so I can keep my current one in use while I build version 2..

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        tulabis Sorry, been dealing with sick dogs and mysteries. Msg me your shipping info and I get it ready as soon as I have a free day. It's been crazy busy. I told the dispo I needed the next best thing to Propofol. RSO between the cheek and gum.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X