Grinding Options for Arthritic hands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding Options for Arthritic hands?

Hi folks. a close friend is having trouble with grinding his weed due to arthriti in hands. we have tried huge grinders and ones with actual grips, which got him this far. BUT has come to a new poiint where just cannot do it. He is now using coffee grinder, which does the job but really is hard to get the rough grind he look for. I am now on a quest with Christmas coming up to find him a better option. do any of you elder statesfolk have any experience with this or suggestions?
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Yes i'm getting more use out of my bean grinder for coffee now or else i have to really break up the buds tiny in order to use a manual grinder. I just don't pulse the coffee grinder long if i want a rough grind, it's a quick push release might do it 2x. I can tell my reactions are slowing.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Seems to me I've seen electric grinders made specifically for cannabis. My guess is they turn substantially slower than coffee grinders, but I have no idea what they cost. I'm having some hand issues myself, so I may very well be investing in one soon too.

Comment

• Bootsy
        Bootsy commented
        Editing a comment
        yup. finding some options on line. will take some reearch but still maybe someone else has tried found/tried something.

• changeofpace2014
        changeofpace2014 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a thought, maybe a dimmer on the bean grinder would slow the speed down, but then again not all electric devices will work on dimmer.

Howdy Bootsy, I too have problems with arthritis in my hands, etc. I bought an "Alpine" brand corn grinder off of Amazon for about $40 US. It has a large crank handle, which takes little effort, and a large bin (about the size of a quart jar). The grind plate can be adjusted some to vary the size of the granules. I have mine set to the consistency of corn meal as I grind, bake, and cap my bud (and trim).
      good luck in your search.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Bootsy
        Bootsy commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you. one to check out for sure.

• Bootsy
        Bootsy commented
        Editing a comment
        hi. can this one do a fairly rough grind too?

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bootsy, it can be adjusted somewhat by changing the gap between the plates. It will not grind as fine as a powder, more like cornmeal to a fine coffee grind. The only problem that I have encountered is that the fine veins in the leaf material will not break up, it can pass thru as tiny little sticks. I have lessened this problem by raising the moisture level a little (just where the leaf is slightly flexible, not brittle) before grinding.

Do a google for auto grinders. The page is just one I pulled up that wasn't from Elon or that other guy.
      10 Best Electric Weed Grinders 2022 - Top Grinders and Pens for Cannabis (esquire.com)
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Good post Gingerbeard i do see several decent grinders on that site that i'd like Home for me would be cool knight

This Krups has been my grinder of choice since 1986. I'm thinking of updating to their $30 Silent Vortex Grinder.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by quirk; 09-24-2022, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• bdeegan
        bdeegan commented
        Editing a comment
        If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Just rename it old faithful lol

I haven't tried it on weed but these cheap mini food processors don't grind very fine and are easy to clean.
      https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...1LYR6VNZ/?th=1
      Last edited by 90Gizmo; 09-25-2022, 12:47 PM.
      Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
      Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
      Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

They make pen-style grinders specifically for "herbal" flower. My niece has one. Not sure of the brand, but it looks much like a large white PAX electronic flower vaporizer. You can't do much at a time, though the buds come out well ground and not mutilated.

EDIT:
        I also would enjoy a rough grind for a bowl, and yet still able to burn good in a doobie.
        Last edited by Blowdout2269; 09-25-2022, 11:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
        Back to playin in the dirt!
        Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
        I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

If you have access, go to Amazon: Kitchen Spice Grinders. Lots of choices and many are under $20.00.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Some research (retirement is nice) has led me to order one of the grain grinders similar to that used by DWE https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08P3MYLKZ. for my bud, who grinds fairly large amounts at a time this inherently seems a great fit. Just my thoughts, but the ones using fast blades would be harder to get a uniform product, basically same as a typical coffee grinder. that's what he has now. To each his own, and I am sure folks using them are happy. the custom cannabis ones I have browsed do appear to be pretty small - but cool and almost eem to be individual instant use. The grain grinder looks to be super adjustable, and should be easy to clean, and the 5 inch crank arm should be eay to use. My bud will be getting Christmas present early this year, so i will likely have a usage report. Personally, the rechargeable Mamba looks like it might be good for my Christmas list to fill the plenty at home. If anyone has experience with the Mamba I would appreciate it, since to me it looks like it will gum up pretty quickly so product would stick inside. Cheers
            A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

I saw a nice one with a domed top, 5-part. I wondered if that would make it easier. Getting harder for me too.
              Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
              Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
              Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
              Various size fabric grow bags
              Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
              4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
              Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

I tried old mini food processor on some stuff I was saving for edibles. I ran it for about 10s and it was barely ground. Then I ran it for about 20s and got some better results depending on your feelings on "rough grind." I was able to roll a number with it but I'm going to sharpen the blades because I like it ground a little bit finer. Hope that helps.
                Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
                Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
                Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Nice. Processor /coffee grinder are definite possibles. I am delivering the grain grinder for trial sometime soon and will update. OOOOH - Mamba grinder video is so cool, where they just fresh grind right onto the papers - that's fresh grind!

Comment

so. the spice grinder didnt work out for my bud. worth a try. he couldnt get the grind fine enough without gumming up quickly, and there were pieces of labelling breaking off into it. not sure if it was the quality of the 420 item or just not too useful. cheers.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X