Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this an indication of a plant being root bound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an indication of a plant being root bound?

As you can see in the picture, this plant has chosen to expose it's most private parts, it's roots. My question is, does this indicate the plant is root bound? Or perhaps something else? Should I be concerned about it? If yes, can it be rectified at this late date (my plants are all in full flower), and finally, is there a way to prevent it? It's SO unsightly! HA! I have a couple of other plants with some root showing too.

I grow out of doors exclusively.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this deep subject (though not as deep as it should be)!
    Attached Files

How large is the container you're using now?
    When I've grown outdoors, it's always directly into the ground, but I always dig a hole that will hold about 10 gallons of new soil.
    I don't grow trees, they usually get to around 4-5 feet tall and I find that the rootball has completely filled up the hole with root mass.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

All 10 gallon containers. A couple of my plants are somewhat short of soil, although those are not the plants with exposed roots, which would seem to argue against them being root bound. I'm used to seeing some roots above ground with trees, I just don't recall it with shrubby plants like cannabis.

Thank you, gbauto

Comment

• gbauto
        gbauto commented
        Editing a comment
        When I've grown in soil or coco, it's common for me to see roots popping above the surface and then diving back down.

Doesn't look like anything to be concerned about. Over time soil will compact leaving already developed upper roots exposed. You can always add some top dress soil into your container which will also help with fresh nutrients during flower.

Comment

crucialbunny, Thank you so much for your comment. What you say makes good sense about older roots becoming exposed over time. And, as it turns out, I have a few other plants that are a bit short of soil, so I think I'll be buying some potting soil today and adding it to those pots.

Thanks again, mate!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X