Worm casting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worm casting question

I have been thinking about adding worm castings to the grow. What is the potential for having insects infect the tent from the castings? Are there ever any insects, or eggs in the castings? I was thinking of sterilizing the castings in an oven before use. Would doing so negate part of what the castings are all about, or will it not affect them?
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Yummm! Cooked worm crap, a delicious, flavorful and fragrant addition to your grow.
    Current Grow: 1 GG4, 2 Hot Cakes, 1 Sweet Gelato Autos
    3 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      The grow won't care what it smells like, the wife would probably object...

Worm castings actually keep your soil relatively pest free. It helps repel white flies, aphids, spider mites, fungus gnats, and other pests that feed on the juices of your plants. Worm castings contain an enzyme called chitinase, an enzyme that can break down the exo-skeletons of many harmful insects. I have two very simple worm bins. One I use nitrogen rich compost materials in and the other, P&K rich materials, like banana and avocado. Soil rich in castings will have some bugs but they tend to be beneficial composters.

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      That was VERY interesting CB. Thank you very much for the short tutorial. While I made fun of Ckbrew, it was a good question on his part and the answer was informative.

I'm giving you a rare 'Like' crucialbunny . Damn fine information. How about tea?

OldManGrower It's okay to make fun of Ckbrew .
    αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      Teas are a good way to get nutrients to the plant quickly but can sometimes cause PH problems due to rapid bacterial growth. I have found that top dressings with normal watering works better for me, especially during flower.

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought you were inviting CB over for a refreshment...

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Jealous, much?

Thanks crucialbunny for the information. I didn't want to create a problem while trying to improve on what I am doing. I'm bug free and want to stay that way.

Comment

Worm castings due to arrive today. I will take the plunge...

Comment

How about castings on coco?
        αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X