Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried flavoring plant by vapour while growing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried flavoring plant by vapour while growing?

I've checked this:
    "How do I flavor weed?" is a common question by new growers. While I truly believe that the best marijuana flavor is achieved from a properly cured bud, the idea of occasionally 'flavoring' some marijuana or making flavored weed seems like a fun concept to experiment with. Weed combined with chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, cherry, root beer, and citrus flavors are relatively common flavors that have been experimented with.

It says to not use an air freshener (Such as ONA gel) in the grow room/tent because the weed will taste like Ona gel.

Question:
    Has anyone ever tried to take advantage of this by fragrancing the grow room / tent with a desired flavor/aroma?

Possibilities:
    There are a ton of battery-powered essential oil diffusers available that could be put near the plant to provide the required flavor / aroma. It could introduce a new flavor, or it could enhance flavors that are already there.

Another question:
    Any words of advice, even if you haven't tried it, if I decide to give it a try?

I'm imagining super-citrus weed or blueberry to knock your socks off.

Lol wtf are you serious?

Comment

• Tone3000
      Tone3000 commented
      Editing a comment
      Why wouldn't I be?

Not interested in adding artificial flavoring to my weed, nature does just fine on its own!

Comment

Call me boring but I like...

1. Coffee tasting coffee

2. Cigars that smell like tobacco

3. Beer flavored beer

4. Whisky that tastes like whiskey

5. Wine flavored wine

6. Oh, and weed that tastes of "you guessed it" marijuana !

Comment

A couple years ago I met a guy who had a clandestine warehouse grow and sold his product to underground dispensaries. He would load up a clothes dryer with bud and spay it with various essences while it tumbled for that "top shelf" aroma. He opened a 1 pound zip-lock bag to show me and it smelled just like Fruity Pebbles cereal. He actually grew some decent product but to get top dollar it needed that over the top smell.

Comment

• Tone3000
          Tone3000 commented
          Editing a comment
          This sounds like an effective approach. I'm looking for a way to enhance the natural plant processes so the flavour is IN the plant, not ON the buds. But I may come back to this type of method. I just don't have a clothes-dryer full of buds, and it would probably leave my clothes covered in sticky bits of resin, lol!

It is interesting to note that the over-the-top fragrance got top dollar.

Some people look at cannabis cultivation like wine making, and consider any enhancement to be "adulteration" of the product. If you are like this, good for you. Don't adulterate your product. I won't offer you any of mine.

I look at it with the same attitude as molecular gastronomy. Using all that technology offers can yield precisely the desired experience for the consumer.

I.e. if you had lemons or berries growing right next to your outdoor plant, and your plant took in some of the aromas from the plant next to it, that would enhance the flavour in your end product. I would just be replicating and enhancing that effect indoors.

Strains with innate fruity flavors are really popular for a reason. They taste better! If these flavors can be enhanced using 100% NATURAL essential oils and a natural plant process, I say why not? It's not like cannabis has some awesome taste sensation that will be ruined. We're consuming it for the THC/CBD and their entourage. It's not food...

Unless you are talking about edibles. They usually aren't cannabis-flavoured edibles, rather, they are often combined with other strong flavors to cover the cannabis flavor. If cannabis tasted all that great, the edibles would be cannabis flavored.

Cannabis flavor is not a gastronomic delight. I want to make it taste as great as possible. If you don't want to, then don't do it. i see no reason not to. It's like putting dressing on your salad instead of having just a bowl of leaves. Pungent leaves like kale and spinach and watercress and radicchio, not the neutral ones like romaine and butter lettuce. It needs all the help it can get!

The only reason most people like the taste of cannabis is because they have been conditioned to associate it with the pleasant effects that follow its consumption. If cannabis didn't have any psychoactive effect and you smoked a joint like a cigarette, most people would say it tastes awful.

I'd like to hear any constructive input!
        Last edited by Tone3000; 02-27-2022, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Ok. The reason I asked if you are serious is because it explains how you can achieve great tasting buds. personally I would consider buds that have been modified by men in any way to smell a certain way trash. People I talk to or on this forum seem to think the same. Essential oil are not to be smoked lol. If you bud smells like it because you used essential oil diffusers the oil is on the buds let me know how it goes for you when you smoke that? Also before you give anybody some make sure to tell them what you have done and let me know what they say? The blue dream I’m growing now is from seeds man I believe Barney’s farm I will double check that for you if you’d like? When I hit it it taste like those vape cartridges with added flavors, the smell of the smoke same thing smells sweet like a vape cartridge, my wife tastes and smells the same thing if here and I had not grown this we would swear somebody added something to it. I add nothing to this and I grow in “living soils” I’m sure you read a bit about it on the link you posted. Those nutrients nebula talks about are not real she made a tutorial of her using it she said she wasn’t sure if it was a placebo or it did work but she don’t use it most don’t either which tell me she wasn’t convinced it was real lol. Yes we all want good tasting cannabis and there is plenty of it without toxic oils having any part of it. I think that was constructive input?

Comment

• Tone3000
            Tone3000 commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, yes, that was constructive! Thanks. I appreciate the warning. I won't be putting any oils ON the plants, it would be letting the fragrance into the grow tent.

Definitely something to try on only one plant first.

I have read of Barney's Farms' Blue Dream, good to know the flavor lives up to the reviews. I may be tryng that strain soon!

Originally posted by crucialbunny View Post
          A couple years ago I met a guy who had a clandestine warehouse grow and sold his product to underground dispensaries. He would load up a clothes dryer with bud and spay it with various essences while it tumbled for that "top shelf" aroma. He opened a 1 pound zip-lock bag to show me and it smelled just like Fruity Pebbles cereal. He actually grew some decent product but to get top dollar it needed that over the top smell.
          He tumbled the weed? In a dryer?

Wouldn't that... you know, knock all the trichomes off? I knew a guy decades ago that would sift the pot he sells before selling it. Because he'd get all the best kief and sell the dregs. Sounds like what your friend with the dryer was doing. Only adding some scent to it to make it "appealing". Here you go kids, the same pot you all love and enjoy but half the potency and twice the cost!! Enjoy...

Comment

• crucialbunny
            crucialbunny commented
            Editing a comment
            This guy I think was pretty much a gypsie grower who kept moving around from one warehouse to another and did everything he could to keep things on the cheap. He seemed to be all about profit and I was pretty stunned at his general lack of knowledge about growing overall. I remember the first time I met him I asked what strain he was growing and he shrugged his shoulders and said "What ever is most popular at the moment." I doubt he would run his bud through a full drying cycle. I think the dryer was just a convenient way of turning the bud while he sprayed. Like most commercial growers his cash crop was primarily trim. Last I heard from him he had been shut down, all his equipment confiscated, and he and two others were arrested.

A friend brought me a jar of Grape Ape he bought. Real excited, like, because it smelled amazing. His amazing was my flashback to shaking up a container of grape Kool-Aid and taking a big whiff of the dust. Friend was disappointed when I turned down a bowl. There was nothing natural about that smell. Something was added after harvest.
          Take a look at buying terpenes online, Tone3000 . You can customize things real fine. Or blunts or spliffs, if you row that boat.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

Hey Tone3000 I kind of like what you're getting at with this idea.
            Of course as with anything else there will be connoisseurs and puritans that say interfering with the plant in that sort of way is some kind of sacrilege, and fair enough to them. Each to their own, live and let live, yadda yadda.
            It wasn't so long ago that in the beer & spirits realm things were pretty mainstream, and now there's an explosion of boutique spirits and craft beers that have all kinds of what were once considered 'unconventional' ingredients or flavours added during or after the brewing process.
            ​​​​​​
            ​I'm not too sure about the exact way the plant metabolizes the moisture from the air that would contain your flavouring agent, or whether adding flavouring to the water would be a better idea. Not to mention whether the flavouring would be safe or toxic to the plants, or if they somehow turn it into a human-toxic compound during the process.

If it was me, I'd avoid using essential oils like the kind in aromatherapy as a lot of those are quite dangerous if ingested by humans. I'd go for good quality food grade flavouring, the type you can get for cooking or making vape juice (I've had some experience with the latter, you can get concentrated flavouring of almost any flavour you can think of).
            I guess there is a chance that it might be toxic to the plant, or the flavouring blocks the pores of the leaves and prevents transpiration.
            I'd pick one experimental plant and only expose that to it, no use wrecking a whole grow if it does go pear-shaped.

Good luck!!
            2.5x2.5x6' tent
            2x 55w COB veg, 400w HPS flower
            Coco/perlite with mycorrhizal mix in fabric bags
            2-part base nutes + veg/bloom boosts, bud boost, calmag
            Carbon filter/exhaust, 6" oscillating fan, usb static fan
            Gear and controllers for heat/humitidy used as needed

Strain unknown

Comment

• Tone3000
              Tone3000 commented
              Editing a comment
              I am a bit torn on whether essential oils or food flavors should be used.

The aroma compounds in essential oils are all-natural, extracted directly from the plant, with no carrier oils added. They are super concentrated. They are more likely to cause allergies than synthetic fragrances but if they are extracted from the edible part of a plant, then they are definitely edible. Most are USP grade - that's what I would use.

The effect would be as if, for example, someone was standing next to the plant while eating an orange, but for 8 hrs a day for weeks. Just enough that you can smell it. Not enough to aerosolize the fragrance.

I look at it like the vineyards that plant roses and the end of their grape vine rows. It's a natural enhancement, just like adding nutrients or any other enhancer to the soil.

Synthetic flavors are designed to be edible but aren't found in nature. It makes me wonder how they would interact with the plant. Many are in an alcohol base, which is very different from the oils and makes it interact differently with a diffuser made for oils.

I'll for sure try it small before expanding. But obviously it would impact the whole tent, so it would be one tent of plants to try it on.

I'm wondering which time period of flowering I should use it for. All of it is or just the last 2-3 weeks.

Lots of food for thought. Thanks for the thoughtful response!

I don't know any other growers, or even anyone else who uses cannabis, so it's really great to have a community of growers to reach out to!
              Last edited by Tone3000; 02-28-2022, 08:43 AM.

You can buy flavour enhancers for bud. That might be a better idea than using essential oils

Comment

• Tone3000
              Tone3000 commented
              Editing a comment
              Are there any specific ones that you have experience with that you could recommend? From what I have read so far, most of them seem like snake oil. Just general terpene enhancers seem popular. But the linked article mentions Botanicare’s Sweet Carbo line as a flavor booster, which also has mixed reviews.

No matter what, it seems like it woud lead to a small incremental gain. I am looking at an entirely different pathway.

With my luck, 5 years from now, everyone will be putting lemon peels in their tents or planting their outdoor grows next to citrus groves to enhance citrus flavor of their plants. But it seems like a crazy idea now! It was honestly the first thought that came to mind when I read the warning about not using Ona gel in your tent.

There used to be growers, and I suppose there still are a few who were convinced peeing on their plants was a good thing. Wonder what their weed tasted like?
            Last edited by PRIMO; 03-01-2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Everywhere my dog pees is dead. So...

Comment

Check this out... this is new!

Cheers,
                SwitchH2O
                8” Vivosun outtake with 8” Filter (NVP)
                RDWC (Recirculating Deep Water Culture System)
                Rockwool starter with clay pellet medium
                Combination of Remo, Advanced Nutrients and a proprietary blend.
                2nd last grow - 19.98% THC Bruce Banner
                Last grow - 22.23% THC Gorilla Glue

CURRENTLY GROWING
                White Tahoe Cookies - 3rd week of flowering
                ***These fan leaves are the biggest I've seen
                Cheers,
                SwitchH2O
                8” powered outtake with 6” Carbon Filter (NVP)
                RDWC 4x 5gal with 1x 5gal reservoir (17.5g)
                Rockwool starter (Supersoak) with clay pellet medium
                G. H. Flora 10-Part Professional Series
                Last grow - White Tahoe Cookies - Currently out being tested for THC/CBD and terpene profile.

CURRENTLY GROWING
                Sowing Godfather OG, Green Crack and Gelato
                All feminized

UPCOMING…
                Mainlining/Manifold for next grow…

Comment

• Tone3000
                  Tone3000 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @SwitchH20 It's a blank box and if I click it, it says "invalid file specified." Does anyone else see the same thing?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X