Short path distillation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short path distillation

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I was wondering if anyone in here is knowledgeable of the process. I am thinking about buildingba still but want to learn more before I jump in. So any help would be appreciated.

Sorry man, this is a cannabis forum not an alcohol forum. Try Google!
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Short path distillation is a process for refining cannabis extract into pure cannabanoid fractions using a condenser with a highly controlled temperature gradient for a short length of condenser as opposed to a typical long condenser. This allows for some compounds to condense and some to pass by with out condensing, hence "short path". This is how "THC distillate" is produced.

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ck My apologies to Mike and to you for my ignorance! I've wondered how that was done but that was as far as I got.

I looked into building a short path still. The setup requires a significant amount of $ up front to get started. I couldn't justify the expense. Plenty of starter information on YT to get a feel of what you are getting into. More detailed information is available if you do a little digging.

I have had pure distillate, did not care for it. To me, it would be like taking a fine bottle of JD and distilling it down to 95% ethanol. Yes, you concentrate the ethanol, but you loose all the fine flavor that was put into the original finished product. To each their own.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

If you're interested in short path, take a look at fractional distillation. With short path, you work with a single temperature to distill compounds that can only be removed at certain temperatures. With fractional, you can get into separating the different cannabinoids at different temperatures. Like an all-in-one vs one.
      Seeing the process, online, I figured the process just to get to the still was more trouble than it was worth. Washing, winterizing, mixing with alcohol. I'm not down with all that, plus, I don't have the space. Short path setups are smaller than fractional which make fractional setups look real cool. All Thomas Edison's lab cool.
      In the end, I wound up getting a dewaxing column. The worst part is finding a way to get out and get dry ice. If you want to look into that, try getting a glass dick. For the family members in the forum, a glass dick is a glass extraction tube. Try one or two blasts to get an idea of what you'll get into. Having said that, in the end, with all my heart and mind, I implore you not to do it! It is super dangerous and can cause earthquakes if you pork the puppy. I will not give you directions other than research online and follow your heart.
      I am about to get boo-boo comments from people about the dangers and health hazards of making your own. Just remember that whole, 'I am rubber, and you are glue.' adage.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

Get a source turbo or etho pro made my extractcraft. With proper guidance from them you can make some really good concentrates. Need a few more things to go with it but it's worth it.
        640 watt hlg quantum board
        320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
        300 watt mars hydro sp3000
        150 watt hlg quantum board
        100 watt spider farmer led x2
        organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
        Water only i don't check ph
        6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

• gbauto
          gbauto commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed.
          I've had my Etoh for 3 years now making my meds.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X