Connect new pc fan to wall outlet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connect new pc fan to wall outlet?

Hey again, I bought all my stuff for my grow now im waiting for it to ship. I have a big box of wires and one pc fan I got when I built my computer but it only has one small fan header, nothing that connects to the power supply. All the tutorials I found have a different connector, is there a way to use this fan on my grow tent?

Do you have pics or a link to the fan so we've got more to go on?
    Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
    600W HPS
    Coco
    GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
    Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• Rick Sanchez
      Rick Sanchez commented
      Editing a comment
      It says it's a phanteks PH-F140SP

Here's a pic of the fan after I cut the cable

Comment

• r3m1
      r3m1 commented
      Editing a comment
      the three wires are your ground, pos and neg wires simple to hook up but you should use a power supply to run this fan.

• Beach_Town_Brit
      Beach_Town_Brit commented
      Editing a comment
      You may find the three wires are positive, negative, and fan speed control.
      Either way you just need to wire a couple of them into the pos and neg wires from a snipped wall wart power supply. I'm sure there's a bunch of vids on YouTube.

Too small for growing. How many cfm?
    SSD

Comment

I was able to find some specs-12v @0.15A but I couldn't find any info on how the harness is wired to the motor. It's a computer case fan and moves a little over 80 cfm,
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Originally posted by gbauto View Post
      I was able to find some specs-12v @0.15A but I couldn't find any info on how the harness is wired to the motor. It's a computer case fan and moves a little over 80 cfm,
      Only 80 CFM? My fan moves over 747 CFM how will you make only 80 work?

Comment

• Beach_Town_Brit
        Editing a comment
        Better than nothing when you're on a budget. I did my first four grows using just jury rigged computer fans like this (one intake and one outtake).

That fan can only be connected to a 12 volt dc.power supply so to use it you would have to buy a transformer to convert mains ac voltage to 12 volt dc with would cosy you more than the fan is worth.

Comment

• r3m1
        r3m1 commented
        Editing a comment
        old power supply works wonders

Cell fone charger will run it. Only works on one polarity tho. U only need a hot and a common wire on the fan. Red and black. The white wire is basically useless in this application

Comment

• r3m1
        r3m1 commented
        Editing a comment
        incorrect the third wire if present is a grounding wire. this is very well needed

• Beach_Town_Brit
        Editing a comment
        Not sure the third wire is ground. With low voltage stuff like this they often forego ground. Typically the third wire in these things is for fan speed control.

yes their is, Their are two wires that come off the computer fan. Black and red, with a connector to plug in.

Comment

Yep. I've always cut off the connector and tie it in to a cell charger. It'll run the fan at around half speed. If u want it to run full power you'll need a computer power supply to run it properly. That's how I run the circulating fan in my 150w diy box

Comment

Before you get into trouble -- just go buy a small house fan somewhere.
          Last edited by yamiacaveman; 02-13-2017, 07:02 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

• DingusKhan
            DingusKhan commented
            Editing a comment
            If you do know what you're doing, very easy fix. If you don't know the difference between 12vDC and 120vAC, you should follow THIS suggestion, and avoid the risk of shock or fire. 5 bucks at the thrift store.

• Rick Sanchez
            Rick Sanchez commented
            Editing a comment
            fair enough...

• Speedygreen
            Speedygreen commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep that's the best option. I've had to mcgyver quite a bit in the past. Still do on occasion

When I set up my tent I bought a 4" In line fan and an oscillating fan........since then i have removed my inline and had better results by putting a small ยฃ1.99 fan in an inlet and tightening the drawstring around it....I put this fan in and closed the other outlets and it puffed out the sides of the tent......i opened the top vent and a constant stream of air comes out....this is much quieter and I know a constant stream of fresh air is being supplied to my plants.....the small fan runs off a usb lead.....all this said I use led's which run cool with 3 fans in each....I have a constant temp of 77f and rh is at 42-50% with all leaves dancing gently....๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜
          The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

• yamiacaveman
            yamiacaveman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Vapo69,

This is my first grow and my 2 auto's that I am growing had to put up with the first 10 days of their life with erratic temps and humidity, After a small fan and small humidifier day to night -- 80 to 77 and humidity hangs around the 50% mark, the day night temps vary a bit because my tent in in a room where it gets the sun, so if the sun is out the room itself warms up, and then the tent.
            anyway, with the temps, humidity, and gentle breeze my girls are really starting to take off.

• Vapo69
            Vapo69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great stuff mate.....having a nice gentle breeze is really important๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒฒ

This is not a area to cheep out on,go with a good fan,u won't regret it.only u can prevent FIRE!!!!!! Lol

Comment

• Vapo69
            Vapo69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point dude......safety first in everything.....buy a fan lol๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒฒ๐Ÿ˜‚

Here's a computer fan I've had running as my tent's outtake fan for a couple of years (just recently pulled it). As you can see the red and black (pos and neg) fan wires are wired into the pos and neg lines from the 1.5v wall wart power supply. The third yellow wire is just snipped clean but this is the fan speed control wire. I've used heat shrink tubing to seal the wires here but electrical tape will do.
          Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

• Beach_Town_Brit
            Editing a comment
            N.B. I'm not a qualified electrical engineer, but I've worked in AV and IT tech for the past 30 years, soldered my first computer together in 1981, and haven't burned down any major buildings at all

...so far...

• Beach_Town_Brit
            Editing a comment
            As with all questions in life, you either have to ask a teenager or a mom:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Welcome back to the channel. Enjoy todays project as we get into informative repairs, money saving, and thrifty ways to help you in your projects. My apologi...

• Speedygreen
            Speedygreen commented
            Editing a comment
            That's how I've done a lot of fans. Make a gasket like that and u can place them anywhere. But yes electrical knowledge is a must

Please buy a good fan!!!

Comment

• Rick Sanchez
            Rick Sanchez commented
            Editing a comment
            I got one of those white clip fans on amazon thats recomended in the LED grow kit thing, will that be enough to draw air into the tent from a vent through my air ducting?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X