soil v cocoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soil v cocoa

back to growing in soil for a while now but, thinking about a wee change to cocoa.
    . also if I do do I add pearlite? just wondering peoples opinion on cocoa v soil pros and cons. cheers.

There will be many knowledgeable folks here offer opinions based on their experience, I am not one of those knowledgeable people. I am currently on my 2nd grow which involves coco/perlite (the first was DWC). I am 2 weeks 4 days from seed on this grow, and I am very impressed with the coco/perlite grow medium (ratio 2 coco:1 perlite).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2652a.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	554553
    Grow Tent: 3' x 3' x 72", 4' x 4' x 80"
    Grow Lights: 2 x Vivosun VS1000, Vivosun VS2000, HLG 600
    Grow Medium (Bubba Kush): Coco/Perlite Hydroponics Flora Trio
    Grow Medium (White Widow): Coco/Perlite,General Hydroponics Flora Trio

Comment

More information than you thought you needed.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6
      Nutes
      CalMag

Comment

Welcome, coco.
        Not to tease, but there is a difference between cocoa and coco-coir.
        I use coco/perlite mix at 75%/25% in fabric bags in my drain-to-waste tray.
        The primary difference is that you have to treat coco like a hydroponic system.
        Coco doesn't hold nutrients like soil will, so you need to feed/water them continuously.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I run DWC but I’m gonna lurk here in the comments hoping people start chiming in with their opinions, pros, and cons from experience because I would like to learn a little on the subject too. So instead of posting links to GWE let’s hear some stories from you old growers. What have you tried and how did it work? For me DWC works because I don’t have to lug dirt in and out of the house just move water from room to room; it’s not in the way when I don’t need it nor does it leave a pile when I pour it out (my yard looks and grows better where my septic lines run 🙂). So come on people here’s your chance to brag!

Comment

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            I would advise against putting your spent nute solution in a septic system. You are asking for trouble and an expensive repair. I send mine to the vegetable garden. Unless you are a large commercial grower, just spread is around where you want plants to grow. Also don't put it in a public sewer system.

• Jebidiah
            Jebidiah commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s something that never crossed my mind…thanks for the wisdom.

Mid-7th(?) Coco-coir/perlite grow, I chose this method because I am lazy. I buy premixed 70/30 mixture. I'm not an artisan grower. My previous experience growing things was when I was 13. I was hired by my church to water the property, which included flowering plants. That's where I learned about watering habits, the hard way. Thankfully, I didn't kill anything. Coco-coir is the most forgiving medium I've found and I am STILL learning. Now, I am gauging watering effectiveness regarding how much to allow to drain with my particular situation...which every grower needs to determine. I want to provide the best amount of water, that won't promote root rot from perhaps keeping things moist and avoid underwatering which will simply inhibit growth. I don't brag simply because I'm just like everybody else. Also, security-wise just not wise. Good luck!!!
          A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

I use coco/perlite. Disclosure, that is the only medium I have used except promix which is similar. Reasons, Simplicity, resistance or buffer from screw ups and unforeseen events, ease of recovery from an adverse event, low cost. Now that I have the hardware, All I need is the coco/perlite itself, cloth bags, nutrient concentrates, water, electricity, and some misc low cost expendable items. The knowledge base on this type of grow is extensive and I can read. Yes there were some bumps in the learning curve. I had an unexpected absence for 5 days at the end of the veg period last May. I was able to enlist the help of friends and provide them with explicit instructions on mixing the solutions. All they had to do was measure, mix, pour, and remove runoff. If I had been running a DWC system (an option I seriously considered) I don't think the grow would have survived. The bottom line is, do what works for you, and the harvest results.
            Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Originally posted by BR2K View Post
              Coco-coir/perlite grow, I chose this method because I am lazy.
              I should have added this to my list. Lazy is not necessarily bad. Lazy people tend to be the most efficient because they find the easiest way to do things, so long as you don't compromise on the end results. Lazy = efficient.
              Last edited by Ckbrew; 01-25-2022, 11:39 AM.
              Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• DaGreenBlazer
                DaGreenBlazer commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't remember who to credit it to, though 1 of my favourite quotes is;

"Ambition is for people who are too stupid to be lazy"

• Ckbrew
                Ckbrew commented
                Editing a comment
                "I'm a master at productive procrastination"

I might be the most efficient son of a bitch around here Ckbrew ! That'll keep me warm when I go take first nap. I have spent an efficient morning and plan on much more efficiency come later throughout the day.
              More elephant!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6
              Nutes
              CalMag

Comment

• Ckbrew
                Ckbrew commented
                Editing a comment
                You and me both. "I'm a master at productive procrastination"
                Last edited by Ckbrew; 01-25-2022, 03:20 PM.

• Gingerbeard
                Gingerbeard commented
                Editing a comment
                You're such an oxymoron.

• golfnrl
                golfnrl commented
                Editing a comment
                Gingerbeard you make me laugh

I'm just finishing up my 1st grow with the Bubbleponics/DWC grow medium which is discussed on GWE in great detail. I am now well into my 2nd grow using coco/perlite. I currently feel that I will continue to use both grow mediums going forward. I haven't yet tried soil, but when I return to Maine this summer I am sure I will be tempted to try the Coast of Maine Stonington Blend I have seen discussed on this forum (Stonington is a beautiful place if you ever get a chance to visit).

Some of my conclusions are based on the constraints imposed by my 3 x 3 grow tent. My wife won't let me bring a tent in the house, and a 3 x 3 is all I have room for in the garage. I can't contrast soil vs coco, however my initial thoughts on DWC vs coco are the following (they could change as I get more experience):

(1) At most I would be able to grow 2 plants using the GWE Bubbleponics/DWC in my 3 x 3 grow tent (I have seen 5 gallon DWC systems that might fit more plants)
              (2) I am currently getting ready to put 4 plants in my 3 x 3 grow tent using coco/perlite in 5 gallon fiber pots, I am reasonably certain using proper LST I should be OK
              (3) There was a steep learning curve using nutrients in DWC (actually it wouldn't have been quite as steep if I had followed Nebula's instructions better from the GWE main website). However once I understood the concentrations to use, I found it easier to fill the reservoir of the DWC once a week, checking the PH every couple of days. My experience thus far on coco/perlite is that feeding the coco/perlite is slightly more time consuming.
              (4) Coco/perlite doesn't require Hydroguard which is expensive (and apparently expires 6 months after it is opened). I am reading that some folks use hydrogen peroxide instead of Hydroguard.

Just my $0.02
              Last edited by UberMensch; 01-25-2022, 02:46 PM.
              Grow Tent: 3' x 3' x 72", 4' x 4' x 80"
              Grow Lights: 2 x Vivosun VS1000, Vivosun VS2000, HLG 600
              Grow Medium (Bubba Kush): Coco/Perlite Hydroponics Flora Trio
              Grow Medium (White Widow): Coco/Perlite,General Hydroponics Flora Trio

Comment

• golfnrl
                golfnrl commented
                Editing a comment
                @UberMensch
                "(2) I am currently getting ready to put 4 plants in my 3 x 3 grow tent using coco/perlite in 5 gallon fiber pots, I am reasonably certain using proper LST I should be OK"

You'll be more than OK. I grew 4 photo's in my 3x3 tent in 5 gallon fabric pots using FFOF and added nutrients, no training whatsoever. It was crowded in there for sure but the harvest was such that I have been able to enjoy it daily for over 18 months. I have a couple a jars of flower left from that harvest. The bud still kicks my @ss. So yeah, you can grow 4 plants in a 3x3. When you start the new grow let us know and we'll follow along.

• UberMensch
                UberMensch commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to hear!

Why do it today when you should have done it yesterday?
              More elephant!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6
              Nutes
              CalMag

Comment

thanks for all the input, I'm going down the coca perlite mix. I used a nft system for a while but changed to pots to get a bit more control. moving plants not doing as well as others ect. I am thinking on a auto pot system but, because I'm upstairs, the thought of a leak frightens me a bit. I've been growing for a while now, think I've learned more with my feck ups than anything else lol. I shall let you know how I get on.

Comment

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am also on a second floor and leaks are a big concern. I use a 4x4 flood table in a 5x5 tent with coco/perlite in cloth bags. No spills so far. No concern for misplaced funnels when watering, or how much runoff there is. Everything is self contained.

• golfnrl
                  golfnrl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I recommend the autopot system. Leaks have not been an issue. At all. I don't have an additional catch tray, just what came with the tent.

I use FFHF and when used in big pots and small plants it takes forever to dry out. Next grow I'm putting in 30% perlite.

Comment

Efficienziness. Efficient laziness. Efficenzy.
                  More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                  3x3x6
                  Nutes
                  CalMag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X