Reptile heating mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reptile heating mat

After see this weeks article on reptile heating mats, it got me thinking about root zone temperatures again. I've had years of successful grows but always looking to improve. My grow room is in the basement with a concrete floor. I always keep air ports raise off floor but have wondered if root zone is still a little cool for optimal growth, especially with air intake blowing across damp air pots. Have thought about using reptile heating pad to help keep root zone warmer but just haven't pulled the trigger. What do you guys think?
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

Maybe a dark mat that soaks up the heat from the lights. Put those under your pots. This thread will be interesting for myself. I and a few may have this problem in the winter.
    1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
    1 sf2000 @200 watts
    2 philzon @230 watts
    2x4x5 tent
    3x6x8 closet
    Fox Farm ocean forest
    Black gold for seedling
    3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
    RH 40-60
    Temp 70-80
    Feeding with FF trio with molasses
    calmag and a little flower fuel
    Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a bad idea (and I have some laying around)!

Subscribing, I’m mid run currently and interested in what is said. Trying a winter grow as an experiment on what my grow area can do and plants can tolerate. I used the remainder of some “questionable auto” seeds so if they die, oh well, but so far so good!

Comment

I rigged up some bucket heaters this fall. They are working great. Still learning the fine details of them but basically It's a length of 4" Flexwatt heat tape and connectors with a two heater temp controller. Then wrapped in some insulation.

My flower room runs mid 50fs with lights out and near 75F lights on this time of year with constant ventilation. I figured an outside plant has it's roots in relatively stable temps all the time unlike the upper part. I am using plastic buckets and saucers so didn't want to use a heat mat as there is no direct contact with the bucket bottom, might interfere with drainage if it did.

Easy make, wrap around and use some tape to secure.

I had an Inkbird controller and tried to run two heaters off one, no good. And the Inkibird probe ws not water poof enough so I got a dedicated two heater controller with water proof probes. The probes need to be deep enough to be in constant moisture. They should also be about 1/3 the way in from the edge. I run them at 73F on and 74F off. ~20 watts each at 110v for 4 foot strip.

A youtube on how to connect the connectors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4IhEI6xRqc

Official directions!!!!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0442/8753/files/Flexwatt_parallel.pdf?46321531 24885612981
      https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/04...ors.pdf?463215 3124885612981
      https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/04...73243613657645

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flexwatt heat tape.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	553355Click image for larger version

Name:	Flexwatt connectors.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	553356Click image for larger version

Name:	Flexwatt insulators.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	553357Click image for larger version

Name:	Bucket heter and insulator.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	553358Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual heater control.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	553359

Comment

Interesting. So... as long as the soil stays warm, 40-50F around the foliage it OK?
        5x7 closet with reflective mylar on the walls
        2 UF-4000 LEDs (set to 25K Lumens at the plant)
        150 CFM bathroom vent installed in ceiling exhausting through a roof vent
        Elitech STC-1000Wifi Temp&Humidity Controller
        1X Sundae Driver in 35g grow bag
        2X Orange Velvet in 35g grow bags

Comment

Mine get down into the upper 50Fs in the house but as long as they don't freeze I would say you are safe. Some do better than others with the cold. When it gets cold though the humidity really spikes up so you need air movement if you can.

Comment

Speaking of the reptile heat mat mentioned by Nebula. I bought one. Noticed in the instructions that it needs to be mounted on glass and should not be in contact with anything else on the heat side of the mat. It's still in the box. I'm a few weeks away from germinating new seeds and want to use the heater. I can buy a piece of glass from the local hardware store but am wondering if anyone has a different solution.
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the tip! I grow in fabric pots so moisture has been my biggest concern.

I would caution against using the reptile heating pad in any way that puts it in direct contact with water, like under an air pot. Even the ones that are UL listed… they’re not designed to be used that way. Safety first. Not worth causing a fire.

Comment

• golfnrl
              golfnrl commented
              Editing a comment
              Rik point well taken...

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              Just commented on another post that moisture, with air pots, was my biggest concern. Temps during lights out drops to high/mid 60's. Not a huge concern, just trying to improve!! 👍

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              And agree with golfnrl

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X