My solution for drain trays inside my 3 x 3 tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My solution for drain trays inside my 3 x 3 tent

I mentioned in a previous post that I am eager to try fabric bags (at least 5 gallon) on my 2nd grow. With the Bubbleponics system which I am currently using (from GWE site) I don't have to worry about runoff, however this is something I will have to deal with using the fabric bags. I wanted a heavy duty tray big enough for (2) 5 gallon fabric bags, yet small enough that I could fit 2 of them in my 3 x 3 tent for a total of 4 bags. It seemed I could find reasonably priced trays which could be used in a 4' tent, but not for my 3' x 3' tent. I searched the usual places but the only solution I could find which I felt would hold up were cost prohibitive.

I happened to be in Sam's Club last week when I stumbled across an HDX 27 gallon tote for $10 (I think they are also available at Home Depot). I brought it home, cut it with my jig saw and now I think I have found a solution.

Some of you folks smarter than me may have found a better solution, but this one works for me...and if you are stumped like me...it may work for you too!
    Grow Tent: 3' x 3' x 72", 4' x 4' x 80"
    Grow Lights: 2 x Vivosun VS1000, Vivosun VS2000, HLG 600
    Grow Medium (Bubba Kush): Coco/Perlite Hydroponics Flora Trio
    Grow Medium (White Widow): Coco/Perlite,General Hydroponics Flora Trio

Smart idea!
    I ve shopped the heck out of boot mats looking for an odd size for my homemade non standard grow room , which I use for sprouts and herbs (the less fun ones).
    This concept opens up a new source of sizes. I already use those containers, and yes the are available at HD at least in Canada.
    thx

Comment

Should be a very workable solution.
    I use a 3x3 f/d tray in my 4x4 pheno tent with 3 gal bags using coco/perlite.
    Five females would really crowd the tent, even though these were only vegged a couple of weeks.
    I built a simple base using PVC pipe that elevates the tray about 10" above the floor.
    I could automate the system if I wanted to, but since I am growing average size plants a once-a-day feeding worked for me.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Great idea, thanks for sharing! I used a rabbit cage tray for my 2x2 but looking for ideas for the 2x4 so I’ll check these out!

Comment

My wife keeps wondering where the lids for her totes went. I just told her they must be with the tupperware lids and the 10mm sockets.

Comment

• bdeegan
          bdeegan commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol, good stuff!! Ive lost or broken so many 10mm sockets I keep extras now!

• Smallgrow
          Smallgrow commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s not just me with the 10 mm sockets, I just thought it was me all this time 😆

• bdeegan
          bdeegan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha nope… I’ll add #2 Philips bits to the list also!

Originally posted by PRIMO View Post
        My wife keeps wondering where the lids for her totes went. I just told her they must be with the tupperware lids and the 10mm sockets.
        Lol...obviously someone who has labored over their metric motorcycles and/or car. Been there, done that....and definitely have lost the 10mm socket!

Comment

Very Clever! I use a 30"x30" air conditioning drip pan. Mine is vinyl. I cut some long "wedges" from a 2x6 to elevate the rear of the pan so that all of the water rolls down to the front and is easy to collect.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Originally posted by OldManGrower View Post
            Very Clever! I use a 30"x30" air conditioning drip pan. Mine is vinyl. I cut some long "wedges" from a 2x6 to elevate the rear of the pan so that all of the water rolls down to the front and is easy to collect.
            Didn't even think about using an HVAC drip pan, it would make the perfect drip pan. Not sure how expensive they are though....I suspect they might be a bit costly. I am currently thinking about how to elevate the rear of my pan, I will have to give some consideration to what you are doing.
            Last edited by UberMensch; 01-12-2022, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I just use disposable aluminum pans you get at the dollar store. They come in all different sizes and shapes.

Comment

I just cut up a tote for a housing to hold my mister that blows into the air intake for the flower room. I want to rig up some air filters on it too.

Comment

I use the bottom part of the Tupperware type containers that are meant to slide under a bed, so they have two wheels on one side for easy moving with the plants in them and it makes them slightly un-level so the water comes to one end so I can suck it up and out. I have two and can get two pots in each for my four plant total. I put a couple of standard metal plant stands in each too elevate the pots a few inches so they don’t sit in the water that drains out.

Comment

• UberMensch
                    UberMensch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hmmm. That sounds interesting. I saw some Sterlite containers that looked something like that, I may have to check it out.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X