Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone brought a plant out of this before? Should I give up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRIMO
    replied
    UndergroundFarmer Glad to hear the larger pots helped. Next time you have a plant you're gonna toss,try a neem oil tea, 1tbsp. dawn dish soap and 1 tbsp.neem oil-1 gal warm water and give it three weeks or so for the roots to suck it up. That'll take care of those noseeum little bastards when they take a bite. And the're buddies digging around in the soil too. It doesn't keep well, so use it all or make a 1/2 batch.

Leave a comment:

• Cali
    replied
    A grower by the name of Joshua steensland grows or used to in living soil. From kiss organic. He had the same issue check out his channel on how he got rid of them. Mostly beneficial insects I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Gingerbeard
    commented on 's reply
    Whew! I thought I had crabs. Thanks, Doc. Thanks for the website.
    Wait! What forum is this.

• UndergroundFarmer
    replied
    For the sake of anyone who comes across this thread in the future - Hemp russet mites are sneaky little bastards! I didn't get in any pics showing the more typical leaf curling from the petiole out or maybe someone could have helped spot it. I went through everything I could think of to get the environment perfect but never figured it out until I started going through my grow books cover-to-cover. The GWE page on these devils almost does a disservice by showing an unusually large cluster of them on a plant. I never got that, only a small gathering at the leaf petioles and I only found that once I had an inkling to look. If you think you have hemp russet mites, my pictures show some of what they do. The primary sign of an infestation will be shrunken leaves curling up at the edges, especially the smaller fan leaves, not a yellow cluster of bugs. They do very similar damage to leaves as broad mites but without the blistered shiny stuff. I trashed all five of the worst infected plants then trimmed off the worst of the damage at the tops then sprayed hard with Lost Coast Plant Therapy and will do so every night for a week. If that doesn't wipe them out, I will try stronger measures. Right now, everybody seems happy enough with the ideal automated environment and living soil.

Leave a comment:

• UndergroundFarmer
    commented on 's reply
    You were damn close. It was hemp russet mites.

• UndergroundFarmer
    commented on 's reply
    You were right after all. It was hemp russet mites!

• UndergroundFarmer
    replied
    Last night I noticed the Alien Rock Candy was showing more signs of crinkling and shriveling so I did an emergency transplant to a 3 gallon fabric pot. It could well be that my plants have been unhappy in these tall narrow plastic pots. The roots were starting to wrap around the sides some and it was definitely not to soon to transplant. Blueberry (which is growing fast!) and a few others will go to larger pots this weekend for sure. There are still no signs of trouble in the others, luckily. I may just start moving these guys straight from cell pots to 5 gallon pots from now on.

Leave a comment:

• UndergroundFarmer
    replied
    I took down all the sick ones in veg on Sunday and transplanted all of the seedling that were big enough to 1.5 gallon pots. All are doing well but Alien Rock Candy is showing just a bit of the same shriveling but only at the top two nodes. I topped her using fingers instead of trimmers. I may try adding some basalt rock dust to see if it stops all of that. Who knows, maybe it was an actual boron deficiency the whole time but that seems unlikely. I'll check pH tomorrow just to be sure but the rest of the plant is fine - the lower growth nodes still look good.

Leave a comment:

• UndergroundFarmer
    commented on 's reply
    That's not too far fetched. I did inspect the root balls. In fact, I didn't even wait to reclaim the coco, I did it the same day. Roots were all healthy enough and several were ready for transplant. If they had stayed healthy, they would have gone to much larger pots just before being flipped to flower.

• PRIMO
    replied
    UndergroundFarmer If you're gonna ditch her pull the whole plant and inspect the soil for critters and to see if maybe she's root bound? Sometimes a girl just needs a bigger cup size.

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    replied
    Sometimes it is better to cut your loss and start over. You are not a new grower so you have experience in what you think they will produce, or not produce. If you still think Elm disease is a possibility, maybe you want to incinerate them instead of composting.

Leave a comment:

• UndergroundFarmer
    replied
    I'll decide what to do with them tomorrow. I'll probably just clear the decks and compost the damaged ones and start a whole 'nother batch of seeds to replace them. The speed that the healthy ones are growing reminds me that this isn't normal nor is it worthwhile screwing around with plants this sickly.

Leave a comment:

• UndergroundFarmer
    commented on 's reply
    They've been both a little cold and a lot dry before I took care of the environmental challenges.
    Last edited by UndergroundFarmer; 01-08-2022, 07:17 PM.

• UndergroundFarmer
    commented on 's reply
    B-def apparently triggers some degree of calcium deficiency too, so yeah, kinda.

• SoOrbudgal
    replied
    You sure you don't have heat or circulation issue? They look like their dehydrated ?

Leave a comment:

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X