Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone brought a plant out of this before? Should I give up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone brought a plant out of this before? Should I give up?

This is mite damage! Hemp russet mites in all likelihood. Before you go too crazy flushing your soil or making radical changes in your tents, Google images of mite damage and see if anything looks similar to what you're dealing with. Severely infested plants should be trashed, possibly burned even. I let most of them freeze to death outside. The rest will be washed off with Lost Coast Plant Therapy unless I need something stronger. I don't think grow sites emphasize integrated pest control enough. This is not a problem most growers will know how to handle until it takes down enough of their plants. 1/31/2022

I've had another batch in veg turn up this way. The new growth crinkles up and growth nearly stops. I let the humidity levels fall too low. I have an Alien Rock Candy that isn't affected because it was transplanted later than the rest after I figured out that the low RH was screwing everything up. All else was the same.

Here's a sample:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0824.jpg Views:	232 Size:	666.6 KB ID:	552317

I've got two new Niwas keeping things in line now. I thought for a while it was brought on by stress from manifolding them so I laid off cutting on the ARC until this week after I was satisfied that she was healthy enough. Still, I only gave her a simple topping. New growth looks fine on her. I forget which one this one in the photo is, but it's probably Expert Gorilla (not that it matters). I've got another batch in the nursery so it's not such a disaster if they can't be saved, just a shame that I had to learn this way. It's just another one of those things that I never had to deal with in hydro.
    Last edited by UndergroundFarmer; 01-31-2022, 07:55 PM. Reason: Mystery solved!
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Also give them a good look over for bugs, bugs often cause leaf curl.

Comment

• Eliot Pryor
      Eliot Pryor commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I thought also.

• UndergroundFarmer
      UndergroundFarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got a population of fungus gnats but they are mostly harmless and I'm about to run them off with Neem seed meal this weekend.

• UndergroundFarmer
      Editing a comment
      You were right after all. It was hemp russet mites!

Check out this thread. I lost 4 plants this summer due to this. I thought high heat and humidity had caused it but it was only these four that were close proximity to each other. The. New growth looked exactly like yours. No signs of bugs on plant or roots. They all died within a few weeks
    Hey gang, I’m not sure if this was previously posted but just in case. More of a PSA than a question but feel free to pitch in if you think this may or may not be the cause of the wilting problem. I’ve been seeing more and more posts from people lately about plants mysteriously wilting. I think I may have come across a
    keeping it green with the soil thing
    love me some frosty autos
    braap
    BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
    Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
    the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
    blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
      Editing a comment
      It took a few tries to get the page to load but I got it. I tried a Google image search and the infected plants don't resemble mine, in fact they look better! I might just make up a bleach solution for the trimmers though to be safe. I might just start pinching to top and defoliate more as well so I can get around the danger of infected trim scissors.

When you say this happened to another batch, UndergroundFarmer , are you talking another grow or this?
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
      Editing a comment
      I'm talking about another batch of seedlings moved to veg then manifolded. The survivors from the previous batch are in flower and they are trying but buds are tiny and very slow to develop.

Quick Wikipedia link. Cannabis mention.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
      Editing a comment
      You were damn close. It was hemp russet mites.

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Whew! I thought I had crabs. Thanks, Doc. Thanks for the website.
      Wait! What forum is this.

Here's the GWE page about Boron deficiency which I believe caused my issue.

"Boron is not absorbed well if there isn’t enough moisture, for example if plant is underwatered or humidity is very low (below 25% relative humidity in the air). Proper watering practices will help prevent underwatering, and a humidifier may be needed to achieve the best growth if your grow room is very dry. Boron is not absorbed well if there isn’t enough moisture, for example if plant is underwatered or humidity is very low (below 25% relative humidity in the air). Proper watering practices will help prevent underwatering, and a humidifier may be needed to achieve the best growth if your grow room is very dry."

The first time around, I went crazy blaming the nutrients, the pH adjusters and probably made the whole situation worse. I'll get more pictures of the damaged bits this weekend and a shot of the Alien Rock Candy that wasn't exposed to low RH. This trouble only started this winter so it all makes sense.
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:

Comment

I won't post any of the sites I looked at. GWE has similar information.

When the late Sexless M was growing, I made a post about hollow stems. Boron deficiency comes up a number of times in research. Might I ask you to pinch a stem? Maybe that'll give you a little more evidence, boron or not?
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6
      Nutes
      CalMag

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
        Editing a comment
        I tried a few. The smaller stems are solid enough. The main stems I topped were hollow.

• Gingerbeard
        Gingerbeard commented
        Editing a comment
        Evidence for B-def?

• UndergroundFarmer
        Editing a comment
        B-def apparently triggers some degree of calcium deficiency too, so yeah, kinda.

Northern Lights:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	869.9 KB
ID:	552455

Alien Rock Candy with NL just behind it:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	552456

They are both in the same mix with pH hanging around in the 6.2-6.8 range.
      Coconut Grove

Flower tent:

Nursery:

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
        Editing a comment
        That's a 9 finger leaf up top. She feels good!

I had 2 autos that did this on my last grow, one after the other. No idea what caused it but I just tossed both of them

Comment

You sure you don't have heat or circulation issue? They look like their dehydrated ?
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
          Editing a comment
          They've been both a little cold and a lot dry before I took care of the environmental challenges.
          Last edited by UndergroundFarmer; 01-08-2022, 07:17 PM.

I'll decide what to do with them tomorrow. I'll probably just clear the decks and compost the damaged ones and start a whole 'nother batch of seeds to replace them. The speed that the healthy ones are growing reminds me that this isn't normal nor is it worthwhile screwing around with plants this sickly.
        Coconut Grove

Flower tent:

Nursery:

Comment

Sometimes it is better to cut your loss and start over. You are not a new grower so you have experience in what you think they will produce, or not produce. If you still think Elm disease is a possibility, maybe you want to incinerate them instead of composting.
          Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

UndergroundFarmer If you're gonna ditch her pull the whole plant and inspect the soil for critters and to see if maybe she's root bound? Sometimes a girl just needs a bigger cup size.

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
              Editing a comment
              That's not too far fetched. I did inspect the root balls. In fact, I didn't even wait to reclaim the coco, I did it the same day. Roots were all healthy enough and several were ready for transplant. If they had stayed healthy, they would have gone to much larger pots just before being flipped to flower.

I took down all the sick ones in veg on Sunday and transplanted all of the seedling that were big enough to 1.5 gallon pots. All are doing well but Alien Rock Candy is showing just a bit of the same shriveling but only at the top two nodes. I topped her using fingers instead of trimmers. I may try adding some basalt rock dust to see if it stops all of that. Who knows, maybe it was an actual boron deficiency the whole time but that seems unlikely. I'll check pH tomorrow just to be sure but the rest of the plant is fine - the lower growth nodes still look good.
            Coconut Grove

Flower tent:

Nursery:

Comment

Last night I noticed the Alien Rock Candy was showing more signs of crinkling and shriveling so I did an emergency transplant to a 3 gallon fabric pot. It could well be that my plants have been unhappy in these tall narrow plastic pots. The roots were starting to wrap around the sides some and it was definitely not to soon to transplant. Blueberry (which is growing fast!) and a few others will go to larger pots this weekend for sure. There are still no signs of trouble in the others, luckily. I may just start moving these guys straight from cell pots to 5 gallon pots from now on.
              Coconut Grove

Flower tent:

Nursery:

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X