Molasses in coco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Molasses in coco

How about it? This forum and the website say molasses is good to use in coco. Folks on another, inferior forum say any benefit will come if there is bacteria in the medium to break down the sugars. But mostly, they are against it.
    I'm new to coco (from FFOF) so I don't know the difference.
    Last edited by Gingerbeard; 12-16-2021, 10:56 PM.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Good evening Mr Beard, In my super soil research i read an article that claimed the reason to feed molasses is for the mychorrihzae nutrition which helps the roots to process more food for the plant. Sorry i can't direct you to it as I've been reading so much it's lost in the shuffle. I add it half way thru veg on to finish flower till i stop feeding. I just ordered several diff amendments that I left out of my auto grow. I'll be dropping some Purple Bubba photos in my reinforced mixture the first of Jan.
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Right! Microwhatever. I'm not into learning a new language. I'm about the facts with a little backup information, in American!

If nothing else molasses is of benefit in reducing salts in the medium. (Reference* Oaksterdam University) https://oaksterdamuniversity.com/microbes-molasses/ If you are using off the shelf nutrients the most common binding agents are salts. Most of us use molasses because the sugar carbohydrates help feed and maintain robust colonies of beneficial bacteria that help break down nutrients so they are more readily absorbed by root systems. I think it's safe to say that the use of molasses ain't gonna hurt anything.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks crucialbunny hopefully that is American enough for him!

• LemonBud
      LemonBud commented
      Editing a comment
      I have read that somewheres also.

I tried it a few years ago Gingerbeard. I wasnt fond of the flavor that it infused into all my plants. 4 different strains had basically the same sweetness to them. Also tried a couple of General Hydroponics Flora Nectar Natural sweeteners..if you add them during grow, it will change the taste of your weed. I personally dont use them anymore. If i roll 4 joints from 4 different jars, they all have their own flavor. You dont want to fuck up that G-13 and GDP with added sugars and sweetners
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Comment

I’ve done it on most grows and I’ve been pretty happy with the results

Comment

Yo bearded one, The sugars being broken down by the bacteria I get, but as I understand there are other beneficial elements in molasses like, a little magnesium, plus calcium, manganese, potassium, zinc and others, that can help feed bud growth. Non?
        New indoors grower.
        super soil, Pmoss, perlite mix
        2-100w dimmable quantum led panels
        2’x3’ grow space lined with auto windshield reflectors.
        4” carbon filter + other exhaust fans + one 6” fan on the plants.
        Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

Howdy, GTom. I'm three weeks into flowering. I'm looking at bud development and have to say they're as good or better than my previous grows where I used molasses in soil. There are enough nay-sayers and fence-sitters that I'm going to forgo on this grow.
          Instead, I'm sending a gallon of the good stuff up to Farmbuck . His peoples' maple syrup supply is in the dumps. I hear it's like New York City running out of crack.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

I have always used molasses in my soil grows. I guess I'm just sensory deprived because I taste little or no difference between the various strains. The molasses seems to cause somewhat bigger buds, but I will admit to this being totally subjective. Taste, or smell really doesn't figure into my growing efforts. I am more interested in smoothness in the smoke which I believe goes more to curing than strain.
            Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
            5 gallon cloth pots
            30"x30"x60" tent
            Spider Farmer SE3000
            Coco Pearlite mix
            GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X