Cureing in a vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cureing in a vacuum

Has anyone used the vacuum lids ? How did they work ? Pros & Cons ? Thank You to anyone that answers !

Hi Larryolschool, I'm not sure what you mean by "Vacuum Lids", but once my weed has cured, if I'm intending long term storage I pull a vacuum on the Ball Jars using an attachment to my FoodSaver vacuum sealer. I posted some pics elsewhere, but most modern vacu-seal devices allow an attachment that sucks the air out of your jars. Less oxygen slows everything down, but you don't want to use them until your herb is completely cured.
    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Thank you for the responce. ya its a led with an air lock % vacuum pump. and you suck out the air. But you say not to use it untill i finish my cure ?

Comment

Hey Larryolschool Here's a link to a similar question I posted a little bit ago.
        Final research says bud won't cure in a jar. Curing requires oxygen. It looks like vacuums are for long term storage of cured or just dried bud. I don't know what kind of suction you can get but there is always some O2 remaining unless you inject an inert gas. Without IG, there would still be real slow curing. Drying is no bueno because evaporation would have no place to go.
        I haven't done it but may on this grow.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

Any moisture in the buds would just vaporize into the partial vacuum until equilibrium is reached. Inert gas sounds like a much better way to go for long-term storage for those with the means.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

UndergroundFarmer Have I got a setup for you! Pictured is the vacuum chamber I use to purge my resins. This is the one I realized I can pull vacuums in multiple mason jars
            If you look at the valves on top of the pot, you see the pull and release valves. All it would take is hooking up an IG to the release to fill the chambers. Not sure where to get a home IG supply.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	71MUPWzFxYL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	549879
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

• click
              click commented
              Editing a comment
              Argon is readily available at any welding supply. Aluminum welding code requires at least 99.998% purity.

Looks similar to the hp vacuum pumps we used with the GC Mass Specs we used for organic testing.

Comment

why bother when regular canning jars work just fine?
              I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
                Gingerbeard commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what we're talking about. Mason/canning jars. 'Mason Jar' is colloquial. Like 'Kleenex' for facial tissue. Generic, as long as you can keep the vacuum.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X