Saving the genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving the genetics

I had a mystery seed in my last order. It was named RP-1 due to it's properties which I really like. I had just one plant, but I was able to clone 2 more out of it. It has become a favorite. Today one seed from that plant was found. Idk how, as the plant and it's tent mates showed no signs of stress or hermie. That said I would really like to continue this line. I have been reading on seed production with colloidal silver or by rodelization. Both methods state that two female plants are required, one to stress out and make the pollen and one to be the pollinated female. As I only have one seed, the only way I could get two females would be to clone them. At that point, I believe that I would be out of time for the year, as I do not have a heated grow area, so I am limited by the seasons. That said, we all know that a plant can pollinate itself and produce seeds. So how can I get the one plant to reliably produce seeds in one season? Stress the heck out of it on purpose, or is there a better way of going about this? It appears that I am about to start a seed propagation adventure.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MOTHER 2A.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	957.6 KB
ID:	549601
    The original mother, indoor plant, this was just before chop

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211006_100040A.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	866.5 KB
ID:	549602
    The two clones, just before chop

Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

No tips, tricks, or suggestions from me.
      I looked up doing selective pollination and colloidal silver with Sexless M. Get those freaky leaves crossed with something else I have growing. What turned me off was having to apply the solution several times a day. I'm home all day but can't see myself doing something so involved.
      Rodelization seems pretty easy and with only one female, if I understand correctly. Just interrupt a light cycle, if I'm still understanding correctly.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

I was thinking of this and read a little about it. It seems all seeds from doing this are fems which to me seems counter productive if you wanted to continue a line. So many are in a rush to try the latest and greatest however I prefer to select a fav few then select the best pheno from those to inter breed and stabilize a line just for my taste or occasional trade. Even better the seeds are free after you buy the first!
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

I think that the only way to preserve the exact genetic makeup is from cloning.
          Seeds will ALWAYS introduce some variability.
          I had a Primal Punch that I kept as a mother for a few years. Just take a cutting to root when the old mother gets too big and start a new mother.
          I did end up stressing the crap out of this mother and it threw a few nanners and I ended up with some feminized seeds.
          That's the closest you can come to keeping the same genetics, but it will still have some variability.
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I completely agree with gbauto however for me seeds are just more practical and simpler. There will be variations no matter how you do it but with seeds you always have the option to select your top very fav and continue with that. Adds a bit of interest to the chase.
            Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
            Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
            Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
            Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
            Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
            i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
            My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
            make pH correction unnecessary
            Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
            8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
            Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
            Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Tissue culture

Comment

• Ckbrew
                Ckbrew commented
                Editing a comment
                Already dried and cured. Still possible?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X