2 plants one container

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UndergroundFarmer View Post
    I'm late to this thread and luckily you've already been steered to Build-A-Soil's channel. Just make sure you don't add pH adjusters to the plants' water. pH Down will kill off the fungi and microbes that make living soil (or any organic method) work. I fill a few buckets ahead of watering and by the time I use it, the water has sat at least 24 hours with an airstone going in it to keep it from going funky.
    I got tired of being looked at like I had 3 eyes and being told how dumb I was, so, I read the articles again to be sure I wasn’t crazy, and wrote an email to Build A Soil. They’re so great and helpful. I haven’t even ordered direct but used the Amazon site because I can’t get fed ex here (they’re going to work that out for me 👍).

The answer was a resounding, No! Do not use it. Anything over 50ppm of sodium is toxic in irrigation water and desired is 20ppm. If it was 49, I’d probably use it. I’m not at 70 now that they’ve advised. I’ll do rain buckets in spring and summer. Can’t here in NE now, or at least I wouldn’t know how to do it. I’ll have to work on that next. For now, my sister is 5mins away, and I’ll get a small boy carbon filter.

I could buy a product that will help. It’s $160 and by my math will treat 160-320 gallons of water. Yea, cheaper than bottles but no, not doing that.
    Last edited by GD69; 12-23-2021, 10:11 AM. Reason: To fix dumb spelling errors

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
      UndergroundFarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a bummer. I wish there was a cheap way to get rid of sodium. It makes me feel grateful for the Missouri river water we get here.

• GD69
      GD69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hrmm……hahaha. I’m not on the Missouri, but I am on the Mohawk. Literally a dead end street to it. I never even considered it. I feel a little dumb now. Probably best to go to bed.

I use the boogie blue plus+ Hose filter. Not sure what the Ppm is but my plants don’t seem to mind it. I have to say I used to add ascorbic acid which is only vitamin c powder to the water to neutralize the chloramines which don’t off has like chlorine Will over night. Now I just let the water jugs sit open over night to off gas chlorine’s and it works. You can also just use a handful of compost to neutralize the chloramines In the water and chlorine. I learned this from another grower here who posted a link to a YouTube channel called PlantAbundance he teaches all about organic gardening. I recommend anyone who likes gardening to watch his videos very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
      I use the boogie blue plus+ Hose filter. Not sure what the Ppm is but my plants don’t seem to mind it. I have to say I used to add ascorbic acid which is only vitamin c powder to the water to neutralize the chloramines which don’t off has like chlorine Will over night. Now I just let the water jugs sit open over night to off gas chlorine’s and it works. You can also just use a handful of compost to neutralize the chloramines In the water and chlorine. I learned this from another grower here who posted a link to a YouTube channel called PlantAbundance he teaches all about organic gardening. I recommend anyone who likes gardening to watch his videos very informative.
      Thank you, and I will look him up and watch them. The sodium content of my water is just too high. Otherwise I wouldn’t have to do anything but evaporate chlorine. The acid approach was mentioned by Build A Soil but the formula recommended (they are still in sales) is $157 for 2.5gal. One to two ounces per gallon of fed water. I figure tops it will treat 320 gallons, for $160. If there’s a cheaper formula or option I’ll hope to find it. I see what you said above about what the acids really are. For now, I’m just going to carbon filter chloramine from the water at my sisters place. It’s only 5 mins away. It’s not the solution but it will work for now. I can’t afford to pay for water like that. Many are going to respond to get an RO, and of course!! For my drinking water. I shouldn’t and won’t be using it in this application. I just bought a carbon filter too, but now I want yours instead. Haha. Looks like this is staying in the box until it goes back on Monday.

Thanks again!!
      Last edited by GD69; 12-23-2021, 03:50 PM. Reason: Adding part about carbon filter

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X