Quiet lighting set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiet lighting set up?

For my first grow, my lights were annoyingly loud(my wife hated it). We live in a small house with very thin walls, and the tent is in the spare bedroom. Lights on, you could hear the buzzing clear through the drywall. The setup is: 600w HPS with magnetic ballast, in a 4ftx4ftx80in tent

It's been almost a year since that grow wrapped up and the sound is a big part of why I haven't started another one. I'm considering switching to LED or building a small shed in the back for the tent.

There's a fire department across the street, so I can't have lights that give off radio interference like digital HPS ballasts produce. Any suggestions or recommendations?

I have a Mars Hydro LED, not a sound out of it, uses less power, makes less heat.
    You may be able to replace the ballast with a better one, but I have heard those scream from new. Its because the lamination's are loose and pounding against each other.

Comment

Hi Windnsky...check out HLG LED lights...what I use in one of my tents. Reasonably priced and produces excellent results.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

I am using Unit Farm 3000W and 4000W readily found on eBay. The 3000W is silent but the power supply that came with the 4000W has a fan which makes some noise.
        5x7 closet with reflective mylar on the walls
        2 UF-4000 LEDs (set to 25K Lumens at the plant)
        150 CFM bathroom vent installed in ceiling exhausting through a roof vent
        Elitech STC-1000Wifi Temp&Humidity Controller
        1X Sundae Driver in 35g grow bag
        2X Orange Velvet in 35g grow bags

Comment

spider farmer sf 4000. $450.00 @ amazon today only. Silent.

Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            Sale extended to cyber monday.

I purchased Vivosun products one year ago. I'm a new grower with a budget. I've read negative things about the Vivosun products but have not had one issue with mine. My tent is a 2'x2' so my LED is a VS1000. Under $100. You may want to look at the lites they offer. Quality lites at an affordable price.
          Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
          Canna Coco Or
          Happy Frog soil
          Fox Farms nutrients trio
          Smart pots
          Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

Comment

LED's typically use both heatsink and fans. Anything that has a fan is eventually going to start making some noise but there are brands that are relatively quiet. Might be cheaper to soundproof the room than to purchase a decent LED...believe me there is a lot of crap out there so you don't want a cheap one.

In the movie Hustle & Flow they used empty paper egg cartons that were stapled to the walls for soundproofing!
            I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              I add an additional 6 inch clip on fan on the top of the tent pointed straight down at the sf 4000. Does a good job at dispersing the heat and no louder than what is already running.

I'm with golfnrl . I have an HLG 360 Elite that uses porcupine looking heat sinks. No fans. But the sucker runs 130° at the light surface. Does a number on warming up a small apartment. Great in winter, not so much in summer.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

The Mars Hydro LED I have has no fan to make noise.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X