• Show
Clear All

Bud Worm Issues Solved?

Click image for larger version

Name:	netting.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	547803
    My harvest is only just in the jars and I find myself already brainstorming new ideas
    to troubleshoot issues I've encountered in past grows. One of the most irksome problems
    has been the moths laying eggs on my plants and the caterpillars boring into my precious
    buds. Found this 7' x 6' x 39" mosquito netting tent online for under $20. Seems like a
    no-brainer option. I'll probably make a rigid PVC frame rather than trying to tie it off to my
    eaves and when flower begins I'll just get them in here. There is no door so to enter I'll have to
    lift up the bottom. I think I can live with that. I will not miss my evening forays with the flashlight
    hunting the little bastards down. Just thought I would share with my outdoor growing friends
    who have also had to deal with this issue. Has anyone here tried anything similar?

Yep, going with mosquito netting next year absolutely. Had zero grasshoppers this year, but my mantises ran away (got eaten by lizards more likely). Couple budrot spots, overall not too shabby, but this seems a much better option than spraying all the time and risking rot just from the moisture. PVC sounds good, T-posts also might work or be cheaper. Biggest problems this year were those damned whiteflies, by harvest time they were literally everywhere. That fine of a net should help with those too
    Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Comment

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a light infestation of scale bugs this year and my hope is that the screen will be fine enough to prevent those as well. Fortunately I have yet to deal with whiteflies, which is surprising to me because there are a number of pomegranate trees and hibiscus plants in my neighborhood.

What about air circulation and too-windy days? Rain? Does it increase humidity? What happens if you trap bugs in the space when you set up the tent or open it? Seems like a pain in the ass to have to pull everything up every time you want to get in or out of there.
    I'm not being a jerk poo face. Those are the things that came to mind. It'll stop airborne when it's closed but is useless when opened. Like treating a tent for mold and mildew when the tent lives in a damp basement.

Have you thought about some of these instead?

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	547825
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate your input but I'm an outdoor grower plain and simple. Being a lifelong beach resident I love the feel of the sun on my face and back when working in my gardens so I'll use any advantage I can come up with to lessen the caterpillars. This past year I installed a retractable awning that takes care of the rain and heat issues. The moths tend to show up in the late afternoon/early evening, so keeping them covered with the mosquito netting during that period should help. This year I plan on using 7 foot stakes in the center of my 30 gallon containers in the event of strong winds. They will also come in handy for training and securing branches that get heavy with bud. I also make my own sticky cards that encircle the inside perimeter of my containers for the crawlies. I think that because my grow area is up on the 3rd floor balcony of my house I don't have as many of the pest problems that many "in the ground" growers face. Tomorrow I start working on a way to have a water delivery system so I can stop schlepping 5 gallon buckets endlessly. Neither of my balconies have a spigot. Why the builders didn't include them I'll never know. I haven't even the vaguest idea of what that whiz bang thing in your picture is. Can you give a little info?

Those are the fence posts that kept out the Krell in 'Forbidden Planet.'

Name:	d53a39702c7db300584e2bcf0c167bf5.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	547879

More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh hell yeah. Are they available through Amazon?

you could also consider growing companion plants in pots or ground around the cannabis that bugs hate. Dill, alfalfa, marigolds,
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      Been there and done that. Works for some pests but moths . . . . no.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X