Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexpected shipment with dry ice- What do I do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected shipment with dry ice- What do I do now?

I received an unexpected shipment that contained a small quantity of dry ice. Not a lot. Made some hash with a screen that I had on hand. The leftovers are depleted so I think the process went well. Have a couple of grams of kief. Now what do I do with it to make it into a block of hash? From what I retained from some of the hash makers it needs to be pressed and heated correct? As usual leaping before I looking but had to take advantage of the ice when it was here.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

I used this for my first time. I've done 2-5 grams.
    Kief goes in tube, unpressed. Dunk in hot water (I did 180° for about five minutes.) Screw as hard as you can. Back in the water for a couple minutes. Unscrew and out pops your hash puck.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      How else would I screw it?

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Sensibly, Ckbrew . Don't screw it so hard you work up a sweat or get a blister. Sweat is hard to get out of hash and blisters make it hurt to screw a puck more than once. The harder you screw it, the harder your puck will be. Mine got so hard I had to use a kitchen knife to cut some off.
      Bwwaaaaahhaaaaahaaaa...

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      guess I can clean up the keyboard now. should know better than to read this with my mouth full.

I'm on the fly here. Press and heat is the idea? Thinking putting it in parchment paper, placing between 2 pieces of aluminum, and cranking it in the vise. Then some gentle heat on the aluminum with a torch, re-squeeze.

Comment

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      To heat the press correct?

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope to pour directly in the kief. I mixed my kief with very hot water then I use my iron cast press to compress and to remove the excess of water from it.

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Really, the hot water mixed in. It presses out with out making a mess?

Just smoke it as is. Burns soo much better and I'm smoking year old dry ice hash. Plan on making a big batch Tonite.
    keeping it green with the soil thing
    love me some frosty autos
    braap
    BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
    Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
    the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
    blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      About 1/2 heated & pressed in a vice, the other just pressed between spoons by hand. Trying to make a comparison.

Then there's this way...

Making Charse (Hashish) in Afghanistan - YouTube
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

Got 2.5gm kief. Took 1.5 gm and put in parchment paper and squeeze in vice. Then heat plates and repeat. First mistake don't put it in the crease of the paper blew out the bottom. New paper, folded the blob 1/2 twice, re squish. Parchment paper stuck to the hash. Scraped off the paper off. Folded again, heat plates. IR thermometer doesn't read well on a reflective surface. press with out paper. I think I may have started to make rosin. Letting it cool to see what I have. This is fun!

Comment

I know rosin to be pressed through micron bags to hold onto little bits of lipids and such. I'm calling yours super press hash. Spash.
      It's fun experimenting with drugs!
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6
      Nutes
      CalMag

Comment

So it cooled down. Nothing pressed out like rosin. Its only a bench vise. The plates had to be pried apart. It didn't want to come off. Heated back of plate and it released. kind of crumbled into this coarse grind stuff. Idk what to call it, but it sure is good. I think I have found a new off season hobby.

Comment

Figure people (guys who have no respect for their significant others' hair straightening paraphernalia) will use a hair straightener iron thingy, and hand pressure to make rosin Ckbrew . Someone posted that they use the same press I do and make nice blonde hash pucks. I call it green hash. It doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to make rosin from hash. You need the pressure when pressing bud. Those machines get into tons of pressure, with constant heat, for more time, in micron bags, on parchment.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6
          Nutes
          CalMag

Comment

I heat up my glass cooktop and a bottle of boiling hot water. Roll in parchment paper on cooktop, fold, reroll...

Comment

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              Using the bottle of boiling water as a rolling pin makes more sense to me now.

• Jimmynuetron
              Jimmynuetron commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I used to heat up a marble rolling pin thinking it would stay hot longer, but it’s faster to refill the bottle

Why does that freak me out so much? Boiling water in a closed bottle, I mean. Seems like I would be applying pressure to something that was wanting to explode. I know it's a popular way to go. Even with the thickest bottle I can find, I know I would break it.

Here's a million dollar invention for one of you engineer types. Make a USB rechargeable, heated rolling pin for hash makers. This is my intellectual property that I will rent to the first person who comes up with one. I get half of all profits after R&D and you pay for the celebratory GWE, post-Covid road trip. There is a vintage, heated massage roller on Etsy or ebay. Make like that with a flat surface.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6
            Nutes
            CalMag

Comment

• Jimmynuetron
              Jimmynuetron commented
              Editing a comment
              I was freaked out about the cooktop, but it really doesn’t take a great deal of pressure when the heat is there, and if it’s hot enough, you need leather gloves. What I would not do is heat the bottle in the microwave. That could lead to explosion

I ran the weed through my shaker a second time and it wouldn’t bond, I had to add oil

Comment

• Jimmynuetron
              Jimmynuetron commented
              Editing a comment
              I should try it again with the bottle instead of the rolling pin, but the oil helped it bond. Another thing I hadn’t thought of here was the heated cooktop. That helps a lot
              Last edited by Jimmynuetron; 11-16-2021, 08:57 PM.

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              Wait! Oil? What kind of oil?

• Jimmynuetron
              Jimmynuetron commented
              Editing a comment
              That beautiful clear oil in the photo, your favourite kind, yes ?

My evaluation of what I made is that the screen bag I used was just a kitchen fine mesh bag meant for idk. Therefore there was a larger percentage of plant material collected than is usual for this procedure. Thinking on the fly as the dry ice just showed up in something unrelated. Is that why it is so crumbly and doesn't want to stick together? Is that what happens when you make beginner hash? I think I will procure some proper screens for any future experiments. It is tasty though.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              More heat and pressure. I made 220 micron hash that made hard pucks. Smoked like shit, I thought, because it had so much plant material. Had to get rid of it.
              If you check out the second video I posted, dude takes a few pinches of kief in his hand and presses and heats a ball of hash in his palm.

I ordered 3 yards of 110 mesh silk screeen on line. It was about $30 delivered.

Comment

110 is what I wound up with as the good good. Good enough, at least. I went a day without dabbing because of it.
              More elephant!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6
              Nutes
              CalMag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X