Help with hydroponics setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with hydroponics setup

Hi y'all, Im about to start a new challange here, doing my first hydroponic system at home. I am going to do DWC for start (that's seems to be the easiest for a first timer).

I have a couple of question before I go shopping. So first of all I don't know how big buckets I'm going to need. I have a 1.2m*1.2m*2m Secret Jardin tent with 2 P600 viparspectra led lights. I have Expert Gorilla Auto Fem seeds which I cultivated many times in the same setup but in soil of course. I'm planning to do 8 as usual (it's giving me 60g/plant in soil so not bad).

So the buckets. I read the rule of thumb is 3-4gallons which is roughly 15L/plant. Is that correct or should I go with smaller for autos (the size fits in the tent, its the same size as my pots)

Next question would be feeding and aeration. I understand the plants need 1L/minute of air for each gallon but I'm not sure how does it actually works? I'm planning on buying an aerator that gives 1200L/hour, that would be 20L/minute, If I have 8 3-4 gallon bucket, that should do the math but is it correct in the realiy or should I buy better aerator?

Last but not least, feeding. I found a wee chart on Advanced Hydroponics nute's website and I would like to ask your opinion on it. I include the photo. Can I follow that feeding for first or do you recommend another one?

Sorry for the lot of questions I just wanna make sure I do everything right.

Many thanks y'all

I've been growing in hydro for 5 years now.
    I typically run a 4 site rdwc setup, but I also do random bubbler buckets when I run auto's.
    I would suggest 5 gallon buckets and 6" netlids. Smaller buckets don't have enough volume when the root ball gets big.
    Most of the auto's I've run will occupy a 2x2 footprint, so I would run 4 buckets in that tent .
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Personally, I probably wouldn't go with hydro as a first timer. Too many things to go wrong, and if your temps aren't right you'll run in to root rot. That can be very discouraging when you're first starting out. I would probably recommend coco if you're wanting to mix nutrients. You get the same benefits but it's a lot harder to mess up from what I've found. Just my suggestion.

That said, I started off growing in hydro too. I read the site over and over and decided to go for it. I didn't see the forum link for a while though and I kept running into problems because I had nobody that I could ask questions when I needed to. Anyway, shortly after joining here I switched from hydro to soil and my grows have improved drastically, even with trying coco now as well.

Comment

Thanks for the answes guys, i hope it will turn out as good as my previous soil grows.

So BU2B you say i should go with a third less than the chart? So by calculation on the first weeks the chart recommends 1ml/L grow nute, that should be 18ml if im using an 18L tank. Should I go with only 12ml then? Also how often should I change the water entirely? Some sites says every weeks, some says in every month. Changing water every week seems like a waste of nutes

Comment

Awesome. Thanks a lot bro now Im a bit more confident trying this hydrp thingy

One last thing hit my mind. I have a couple of girls now, they are 2 weeks old so just planted then into soil (haven't bought the hydro setup yet). You think I can transfer them into the hydro system or should I sprout new ones?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X