An vague warning from CNN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An vague warning from CNN

I can't help but wonder if this is mainly for edible users? They don't mention the method of delivery. I've got my dander up, for such lazy reporting. Have any of you experienced this?

An unusual illness is on the rise in the United States, especially in states that have legalized marijuana. People who frequently use cannabis, including teenagers, are showing up in emergency rooms with uncontrollable vomiting.
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Hummm I wonder now !!Cuz it was never reported here in Canada.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• hairyman
      hairyman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Farmbuck: I have heard of this here in Canada. It was in the news about two years ago. I think the syndrome affects users of high THCconcentrates which is used chronically or everyday all day long. Amongst my older friends no-one I know has ever been afflicted with this (60+). Certainly not back in the seventies was this a problem. it seems to me that when humans start to refine and distill plant based products like weed or coca leaves or kat that potency problems arise eventually.cewing coca leaves or smoking some weed is one thing but the refinements seem to be more problematic.

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok thanks hairyman

It's poor reporting when the writer says, 'Research is Spotty'.
    This is typical media. Reporting the bad before all the information is gathered. Guilt by media.
    Also figure that since weed has been legalized in places, more people are going to have adverse effects because more people are using. Did you know that there were more drunk people after prohibition than during?
    No problem. People get sick from weed. I have a heavy dabber buddy who throws up and gets the runs if he eats edibles. Opiate users I've known get sick on weed. This will pass as the killer vape pens did.
    Raise a fuss. Watch the social media. Guilt by social media.

Spoiler alert: If it makes you sick, you probably shouldn't do it. Kind'a like getting kicked in the jewelry. Seems fun, might not be.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

You guys must not look at the news much. It has been advertised for over 3 years now! Very old news.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
        Gingerbeard commented
        Editing a comment
        Hardly a lick. BBC tells me everything I need to know. Hail BBC!

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I heard of it more on reddit than anywhere else, in younger people who seem to afford the best paraphernalia/devices and spend more money at dispensaries than my annual income.

Yes, this is a real thing. It happens mostly in heavy chronic users but has been seen in acute dosing cases. While there has been an increase in cannabis "over dose" incidents, more so with edibles, the condition is in general not serious so long as the patient is monitored and can be kept reassured that they are safe and it will pass and they do not harm themselves. As far as the dangers of electrolyte imbalance, well that is always a concern in any patient with severe vomiting but can be managed easily with basic metabolic supportive care, and yes an electrolyte imbalance can be life threatening. The best practice would be to include cannabis use query when doing intake evaluation so as not to miss the issue. Once again the news has taken a small grain of truth, added some spice, and made it a sensation. PS this is not new.

Well D'oh- if you severely over do anything you are bound to see negative results. It is possible to die from drinking to much water. Just use common sense.
      Last edited by Ckbrew; 09-17-2021, 05:22 PM.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

How many of those folks used Neem oil on their buds? Yes old news/propaganda.

Comment

I have read about this several times over the last year or two. I have never seen any differentiation between consumption techniques. But, I agree with moderation in everything. Edibles make for easy over consumption. This is a real thing and I also believe that it is in the public eye due to more public interest in weed in general and a lot of noobs using it.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

It could be worse. Who remembers the Paraquat issues of the past?

Comment

• hairyman
              hairyman commented
              Editing a comment
              Paraquat scared the crap out of us in the 70's. Didn't stop us from smoking weed though.

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya, I remember buying test kits to test the donkey sweat laden ditch weed to see if it was "contaminated".

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya, I remember, I think. The weed was off color when it got here, looked like it died standing up, and in deed it did. I think about how many may have been effected by the US Gov spraying this shit in Mexico. They certainly chopped it and shipped it anyway, can these folks join the class action on it? Or are they out in the cold?

Puglover1 I used to shoot lead and snort asbestos dust. I ate homemade Halloween cookies and confections that I didn't let my parents check. My brother and I played with an x-ray machine we found, after a hurricane flood in Kenner, LA. I've stared into multiple lasers. Bought white lightning from a seedy looking hillbilly fellow, crossing south at the San Ysidro border, and got motorboated on the same trip. I grow and aerosolize black mold. I only drink ocean water or Flint, MI water, if I'm midwesterning it. Food and medicine expiration dates mean nothing to me. I make eye contact with and say, 'Hi!' to crazies, smack heads, crack heads, heads, tweekers, alcoholics, and other local homeless.

And I'm fine.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

• Puglover1
              Puglover1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I make eye contact and speak to anyone regardless of their appearance. When I was at the dr's office yesterday a man walked in from the 90+ degrees + humidity, he was 2 hours early for his appt and said he'd have to sit and wait. When I was checking out he got called in. I sat in my car for a while, didn't think he had a ride and it's on the outskirts of the town. I wanted to offer him a ride but I didn't know how long he would be, I had to hit the pharmacy before they closed. I've passed cars going 65 mph on a two-lane 'humped middle' river bridge. I drove 140+ mph in my Z car on a two-lane back road. I make my own call on expiration dates. In my mind I thought that I would never get cancer - I have enough diagnoses already - but my renal mass was found incidentally on a CT scan for pancreatitis. Mind over matter, positive thinking didn't work. However, they have discovered a molecule in those stomach meds that is a carcinogen, I took them for decades. Science and data, or there wouldn't be a lawsuit. It's not one of those "they said it was organic but one ingredient isn't" lawsuits. I do see way more class actions in Cali though. Stupid, petty stuff. I don't consider cancer stupid nor petty, but that's just me. I'm not fine. I've been in 12 MVAs and have avoided more than that: as a pedestrian, passenger or driver, never at fault, most of the time the other guy was uninsured or I would Own a Dispensary. Pfft, the last one was an uninsured special ed teacher in my town, every year when I pay my property taxes it brings me no joy to know I'm paying part of his salary and benefits. And here I am, living on a puny SSD benefit because the accidents caused an early end to my work career. Trying to pay bills, keep up my only real asset, my home, trying to grow medicine with a disabled R hand and an un-diagnosable L forearm injury, needing advice but I guess I'll just F it up on my own.

Old thread from 2019: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-syndrome-chs
            Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
            Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
            Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
            Various size fabric grow bags
            Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
            4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
            Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

Puglover1 I didn't mean to downplay anything. Everything I said was poking fun at all the lawsuit industry commercials I see on TV, except poking fun at my neighbors who poke fun at me for saying, 'Hi!' to folks.
              I will never tell anyone I know what they're going through or how they feel because I can't. But I can feel empathy or apathy for sharing an experience.
              More elephant!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6

Comment

My 2 cents and YMMV but I think big pharma and some of the powers that be are running scared that federal legalization is coming and I think we will see more and more of these stories even though some of them are old. I’m sure that some people have adverse reactions to cannabis because some people are more sensitive than others but I still think this is part of a plan to turn public support away from legalization.

Comment

• Puglover1
                  Puglover1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe big pharma has already invested in the cannabis industry? Make up for the huge settlements over pain meds (which I disagree with). Some people don't tolerate it or have diseases that it affects adversely. When my state went legal medical it was a two-year 'experiment'. Anyone with intelligence knew that they wouldn't have companies building cultivation centers and dispensary businesses for a two-year gig.

• BackWoodsBud
                  BackWoodsBud commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Puglover1 Maybe true that big pharma is already in or trying to get into cannabis but if you read printed news, they don’t do many stories like that on broadcast news, I see more of these types of stories lately than before. It’s hard to say where everyone is positioning on this business. I think there’s still lots of business and money to be lost if fed legalization happens and that could be tied to all these types of stories.

• Puglover1
                  Puglover1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe it's the booze companies that are worried? I'm so fed up with broadcast news, and I used to hold a Press pass. Or maybe it's the private prisons afraid of losing inmates. Or the prison phone companies who charge $20/minute. I am a long-time chronic pain patient. I'm so sick of seeing the overdose stories on TV but never the other side, despite many attempts by advocates and doctors. Washington Post just recently did an article on the other side - Veterans' suicides because the VA will not prescribe opiates. If I were more wealthy there have been times that I wanted to throw a brick at the TV.

Pharma can't make cannabis products any cleaner than they already are. They can't extract more or different terpenes than are already being extracted. Like alcohol.
                Were pharma to get involved with weed, they would advertise 'Take our pills or smoke our shit.'
                More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                3x3x6

Comment

• Rwise
                  Rwise commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Big Pharam IS patenting things from cannabis, it should not be allowed, but its happening.

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From the patent office. Held by US Department of Health and Human Services. https://patents.google.com/patent/US6630507B1/en Now expired...

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not against big pharma making medicines from cannabis. I'm against big pharma ripping people off blind for the use of those medicines. A reasonable profit and unreasonable price gouging are two different things.

How DARE you people have an intellectual discussion, on a STONER forum!
                A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well it was 4:20. bong hits in the corner?

• Gingerbeard
                  Gingerbeard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Little help. I live in a geodesic dome.

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just pretend

Well it is 4:20. Bong hits in the corner?

Comment

• PLreef
                  PLreef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just got done ripping on my dirty bong

• Puglover1
                  Puglover1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I happened to hit the bong yesterday at 4:20. Mine's dirty too, all of my glass.

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Must be going around. Mine needs an acetone bath also.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X