Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown bug/pest: grouping on and eating in to stems (at intersections)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Unknown bug/pest: grouping on and eating in to stems (at intersections)

Growing outdoors in New England is always a challenge. Over the past week or so I recognized a (new to me) pest that I have not seen or experienced before. They are clumps of what look like eggs at the intersections of the stems (see pics attached). I wipe them off and spray them with Neem but they are not bothered by Neem and return within an hour or two. I do not know what this is nor how to irradiate them. Any insight and help will be greatly appreciated. Grow Weed Easy has been an amazing resource, thanks for being here! Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JK2020; 09-11-2021, 06:09 PM.

Sorry, but try this on, its not eggs its poo. Eurasian Hemp borers, cut it off and tear into it, find the tiny orange (Hemp Borers are white, Eurasian Hemp borers are orange) worm and smash it. Also watch for bud tips to die and find the same damn worm in the bud. If the damage is not removed it can lead to bud rot. Being inside the steam spraying is not effective.

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Also burn all limbs and steams as they can winter inside them.

• JK2020
      JK2020 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much. I have a few other plants in the garden, should I remove the entire plant? I will certainly remove the sections effected so it doesn't spread, but should I remove the plant altogether? I have never seen this one and it doesn't sound good at all. Where it's a borer, will BT spray work to prevent it? Thanks again, really appreciate insight, very helpful!

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      What I have read is BT (nor any other spray) is not effective on these as they have (most often) bored inside a limb so the spray does not contact them. I have read about but cannot find far sale a wasp that kills them. I remove only parts that are infested as here I have them on every plant, some more than others. It is important to remove the damage as the bug poo can lead to bud rot.

Hey I have the exact same thing. I cut open the stem and found a worm inside. I think those little clumps that are hanging are castings. I used a spray for tomato’s that contained Pyrethrins. That was two days ago and haven’t seen it come back, but the damage was left behind.

Comment

Looks like you outdoorsy folk are getting the plague treatment. Did you find anything like this Kgarrett65 ?

What is this bug? - GrowWeedEasy.com Cannabis Growing Forum
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, and if you ask my, its bug warfare. Since my state went legal we have more bad bugs than ever before, these damn borers and brown stink bugs just for 2. Never seen either of these until we went legal.

Had the same on my outdoor a couple seasons ago. Hemp borer. They're little assholes. (From New England too) I put a drop of neem oil into each hole and pulled the little bastards out one by one.
      5x5 Gorilla tent
      Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
      Infinity T8 exhaust fan
      Technaflora nutes
      Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I just harvested a large plant that had some problems till harvest but still came out good. About 24 oz instead of 32 and smaller buds than I would like.. I went back and split the stump open down to below ground. Inspection turned up little noticeable. I poured on some undiluted hydrogen peroxide. From the soil around the stump came some fungus gnats and many tiny Rove beetles. One mature root aphid came from center stalk. I came back after while and found a worm/nymph writhing out of the bark on the trunk with bubbles behind it. The peroxide must had driven it from center of the stalk. No picture because I smashed it trying to pull it out. Anyone know what this might be?

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          What colour was it? This is why I am saying burn the leftovers, all of them, then use the ash in the soil. My bet is they wont live through that. Google "Eurasian Hemp borers" and look at the pics.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X