Birds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birds?

I know the title of the post is probably what caught most of your attention, and possibly had some of you wondering what it's about. Well I planted an autoflower a couple weeks ago and shortly after it sprouted something ate part of it. At first I was thinking it was the deer that are always around this area. So to solve that I put my plant on a table on top of a tree stump so they hopefully wouldn't get to it. Things were fine for a little bit and she was growing again and then all of a sudden some of it was gone again! I really haven't seen any deer in the area we fenced in for my "yard" (probably because of the dogs) so I've been really confused. It also doesn't look like a pest got to it, my first thought was grasshoppers but the leaves were totally gone and not just part of them. So my final thought is that it has to be the birds. I'm trying to let her grow to see what I'll get, but it's been extremely slow because of the lack of leaves. I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has had an issue with birds eating their plants? I'll post some pictures too, going to try and put them in the order they were taken. Any thoughts?
    Attached Files

I don't think birds eat leaves. The trees would be stripped bare.
    2X4X6 Quictent
    1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
    600w LED (80)
    1000w LED (180)
    2 X Viparspectra P-1000
    2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
    6" battery/usb fans
    Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
    GH trio with Calimagic
    Lung room humidifier
    3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
    ArmorSi, kelp when needed
    Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
    Northern Lights auto
    (Seedsman)
    auto 00 Kush
    (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
    2x Northern lights auto
    1 auto 00 Kush
    1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
    Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's a rolly poley we call them. Like a centapede black rolls up into a ball. I've had them in my soil even indoors somehow they get into my tubs with lids on them. Yes they eat leaf. Gotta look into the soil a bit.

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to see those all the time when I was in Arizona, not so much here. I honestly don't think I've seen them since I've been in Colorado. We used to play with them, watch them roll up and unroll šŸ˜‚

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like my cat's eating pattern

I have the same mysterious problem in my vegetable garden, usually with carrot sprouts and pea sprouts. Something likes the new growth and can strip the garden of my plants over a few days. Ive never figured it out for sure but my short list of culprits is slugs and snails, bunnies, skunks, squirrels and raccoons. There is probably some other possible creepy crawlies that come out at night as well. Given how whatever it is just at a small part of your young leaves I would think it very unlikely to be a large mammal (deer or otherwise) and more likely a very small one or bugs of some type. Try putting a little cup of beer beside it which will attract and kill slugs as a start.

Comment

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've looked over the plant and all in the soil and haven't seen signs of anything. I haven't seen any squirrels since I moved slightly out of town, but they could be there I guess. I'm not sure if rabbits could get up the stump the pot is setting on, let alone the picnic table before that. Maybe a skunk could, but I don't see a lot of them near the houses here, mostly just by the highway and unpopulated areas. It also always seems to happen during the day, usually while I'm at work. Maybe I should see if the property owner is having a problem too. His plants are bigger but I didn't see anything wrong with them when I saw them a few weeks ago.

• DeadlyFruit
      DeadlyFruit commented
      Editing a comment
      Bunnies can get higher than you realize. They often make nests in yards with dogs to keep away other predators and in my yard a bunny dug a small burrow and had babies over a single night in a narrow but tall planter pot (just flowers) at my back door. The pot was probably about 3.5 feet tall so mom could get in and out but once the babies started exploring they couldnā€™t get back into the nest. Bunnies are sometimes active during the day so they could be the culprit but I would have thought they would eat the entire shoot rather than just the edge of a leaf. Skunks are very nocturnal so if you donā€™t have to go out and walk a dog after dark you may never see them. I am leaning more towards chipmunks and mice although again they must not like the plant after their first taste or they would strip it bare. Could it be a groundhog (or whatever the local version of that is in your area)? No animals bother my outdoor cannabis but I always start them inside under lights so they are never outside as sprouts which eliminates many problems because most animals like young plants. Can you put it inside under lights for a few weeks?

Great landscape on the pic below by the way - beautiful view.

Chipmunks were the bane of our garden this year, hundreds of seedlings of various types fell victim to them.
    Soil - NFTG, recycled & amended.
    Nutes - NFTG - modified regiment, SLA-100, Photo +, Mammoth
    Veg - 4x4 tent, TSW2000, TSW1000 6ā€vent
    Flower - 4x4 tent, TS3000W, TSW1000 6ā€vent
    Dry - 2x4 tent, 6ā€vent

Comment

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      This I could see, or maybe a field mouse? I know we have the mice around here. Just seems to like the smaller leaves too so hopefully they'll hurry and grow so they stop getting eaten.

This is a far away picture so you guys can see how it's set up.
    Attached Files

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
      DeadlyFruit commented
      Editing a comment
      Since the plant is still very small could you try things like draping a bird net over it propped up off the plant and maybe put a little trail of cayenne pepper or some other deterrent around it on the table? I think you just need to get it from a sprout to a larger plant amd you will probably be golden, unless the deer then find it šŸ™‚

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my thought, a net of some sort temporarily or moving it inside. I don't really want to move it inside though because I want to take advantage of the full sun since it's stronger than my LEDs. Looking into some DE and now probably a net as well, just in case. I feel like it's just as you said, they like it because it's a sprout and not a bigger plant yet.

DeadlyFruit here's the rest of the view. Bit smokey over the horizon right now but when it's clear there's mountain views for days.
    Attached Files

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
      DeadlyFruit commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful landscape!

• desertdan
      desertdan commented
      Editing a comment
      Antelope maybe?

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't seen any antelope around at all here, just deer and smaller critters.

How about setting up a trail cam.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

The 4 pic has my cat written all over it.
      Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
      Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
      Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
      Various size fabric grow bags
      Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
      4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
      Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

I think Pug makes a very good point! Do you or your neighbor have a cat?
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Grasshopper?
          DIY 4x12 Farmacy box w/2 4x4x6 grow areas
          TrolMaster HydroX runs the whole show
          Dual tank Co2 injection w/ rain tubing
          10000 btu thru the wall A/C / 5000 btu heater
          50 pint dehumidifier/ cool mist humidifier
          8" intake fan w/ hepa filter / 8" exhaust fan
          2 Timber Fatty-vs COB 950 watt draw fixtures
          w/ added 4 2ft T5 Pure UV bulbs on each fix.
          2 DIY Hybrid DWC 5 gal bubble bucket systems w/ 55 gal reservoirs w/ PH dosers
          2 2"x2"cyl.stones in each bucket, 8"disk in reservoirs
          GH Flora series (entire line) + Orca
          Grow 3 = Blueberry 1 dwc 1 soil.
          . Cherry pie 1 dwc 1 soil
          Soil is great lakes "just add water" in 7 gal fabric bags

Comment

This was my fix for now since I don't have a trail cam, some bird netting over a tomato cage. Puglover1 I doubt it's the homeowner's cat, I don't think they let the cats outside much and it's kind of far from their house. Smoklahoma grasshoppers was my first guess but the last time I dealt with those the leaves were only partially eaten and the marks were rounded off. I really don't know here, but if it gets eaten now I can rule out bigger animals. The homeowner's plants seemed fine when I saw them which leads me to believe whatever it is only likes the small sprouts.

On another note, I fired the tent back up and dropped a fresh Zkittlez in a pot. I'll have at least something coming in a couple months, along with whatever is left of the Alaskan Purple šŸ˜‚
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dphipps1020; 09-03-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
              DeadlyFruit commented
              Editing a comment
              My two Zkittlez plants outside are 11 feet tall!

• dphipps1020
              dphipps1020 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice, I wanted something big like that but I guess it's not in the cards for me this round.

• DeadlyFruit
              DeadlyFruit commented
              Editing a comment
              They definitely have the genetics for it in that strain.

Cat or mouse, could be, dear, rabbit, bird not likely, most likely a bug of some kind. That DE over the soil could take care of it. Have any bounce sheets? Staple some of those to the table, they repel bugs.
            I have had rabbit damage, they will chew down a plant for the moisture. (cut off at the ground it was).
            Grasshoppers, stinkbugs, locusts, can/will devastate a crop. Millipedes will eat vegetation as well if they run out of other stuff to eat, I have lost sprout to these (and mice).

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
              DeadlyFruit commented
              Editing a comment
              Iā€™m starting to feel lucky about growing in my area! If I put out a mature plant the only things I have had to worry about so far are a small variety of bugs like leafhoppers, aphids etc. (As well as the dreaded bud rot).

So, unfortunately I have to take it inside and put it in the tent. Apparently it's too windy in my area to have it set up like I did. I got home from work and it was blown over and on the ground. I think I may have saved her, but she's definitely not going to be happy for a few days. I'll get pictures when the lights come on.

Comment

Poor little girl is a trooper šŸ˜‚
              Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X