Advice on this sativa transplant, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Advice on this sativa transplant, please

Started in Aero-Garden; cat chewed on leaves at nodes 1 & 2, maybe 3 also. Plant kept pushing along. Due to circumstances beyond my control I couldn't transplant her into soil and move into the closet until Monday 8/16. I had already removed the uglified lower fan leaves. First two days seemed OK, adjusting, today not so much.

I'm using Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, bought their organic potting soil for starting herbs & flowers. I filled a 5 gal bag with SB & perlite but put an empty container in the middle then watered it well. Next day I removed the container and filled the hole with 6 cups of CoM potting soil, milder soil for the transplant. The roots looked good, I sprinkled them with a myco product before tx after I removed the plastic starter cage. After planting I used a small pitcher with a narrow diameter metal spout to gently water that milder middle soil a bit, using pH'd dechlor'd water which I also used to mist the top a few times because that middle soil was never pre-wetted.

Odds of Wild Thai coming around? Any advice or experience? It doesn't look as droopy later tonight but the leaves are cupping/canoeing. Lowest leaves shriveling. Give it time, or something else? Thanks.

I accidentally germinated 3 WW fast photo seeds, one is in pot, broke ground today. The closet is waiting for me to finish cleaning and rerunning fans, wires, etc. I'll chop those two smart cars when I need the space, soon. Might as well let them use the light while it's running, they were flushed last watering.
    Last edited by Puglover1; 08-20-2021, 01:40 AM.
    Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
    Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
    Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
    Various size fabric grow bags
    Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
    4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
    Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Hi pug, how much light does she get? Looks starved, like when you leave a bucket or whatever on your grass then move it. That's what it looks like to me??
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi MeEasy On 18/6 light schedule. First evening I set her to the side, next morning moved closer to the middle, now she's under the light next to the two auto plant remains. Had light between 75-80% but it's a hotter day today. Put it back to 70-75% with bottles of frozen water in the closed closet. She's not any worse today, maybe a little better. My eyes were still at half mast the first time I looked. Seems like it was transplant shock but it took 2-3 days to look like the above. Turned bad overnight.

I have two WW fast seeds with tails needing to be potted. Guess I'll put them in Solo cups and in the closet for now. I need to chop the autos, take the crates out, clean the closet floor, put some new DE on the carpeting, cover it with plastic, put the bags back, adjust light height and get two bags ready for the WWs. I've had a bad headache at some point every day, into week 5. Wild Thai is my pain strain. I need to start searching dispos for it again, see if it shows up anywhere. Thanks.

@Puglover1 Give her light madame just give more light.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Only thing I could do today is set it on something to get it closer to the light, very warm day here. Or leave the closet doors open today and increase the %? Right now I can't think of what to use for that heavy bag, I'll work on it later. Have to make calls before offices close for the weekend. Thanks, mom ami.

PLreef and Weed Pharma - As users of Stonington Blend do you have any input to offer? If not sorry to tag/bother you. Thanks.

Comment

Your plant looks like it is suffocating and needs some oxygen to the roots-

The speed at which it went bad points to root issues.

I would gently pull away some of the soil- from center to edge- an inch deep.

Get some slight breeze-air circulation over the top of the soil to keep it dry, but not much on plant for now.

Do not water it - until it is very dry (may take a week or more).

Yes on proper light as mentioned above, you have to get the environment right to recover any plant and sativa's can be finicky.

It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, TY. I will scratch up some soil and set a small fan on low on a box, pointed at the soil. One thing: I had the bag watered and ready maybe two days before transplant, except for the milder-soil middle part. This morning I stuck my hand down in the side, the SB part of the bag is dry halfway down. The last two fan leaves are losing color but the new growth under them looked healthier, definitely not worse.

The ends of the roots were nice and white but they grew longer than I planned before moving it. I probably should have taken time gently spreading them out a bit more but I wanted it done and under the big lights before they went off for the night. The WW fast seed in the bag w/same soil setup is growing up. The other two WW seeds went into solo cups last night, their taps were growing into the paper towel, overnight, They popped greenage out of the soil this morning.

Are sativas best started seed-to-soil or do some sativa growers use starters then transplant? I know this will be a challenge but I'm not looking for a huge yield, a jar would make me very happy. Actually I'd be happy with a joint today, this freaking weather is wreaking havoc on my knee joints. Might have to smoke them, lol.

• Weed Pharma
        Weed Pharma commented
        Editing a comment
        Puglover1, Take a look at my KISS grow on page 2 for all the things I did not do and the plant grew fine with reasonable yields.

Direct plant into the final container- and just water around the plant- plants dripline until it fills the pot.

I no long transplant especially auto's as any setback cuts yield.
        Photo's you can transplant if you must , as you can take the extra time to restore after any mishaps.as long as it's not in flower.

If I had to guess Puglover1 I'd say she's just being a drama queen. Moving from the Aero garden to soil probably just pissed her off. Looks like you have plenty of perlite in there so I wouldn't think it's not getting enough oxygen to the roots. Just give her plenty of light and dry out completely between watering. She'll come around.
      5x5 Gorilla tent
      Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
      Infinity T8 exhaust fan
      Technaflora nutes
      Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        This is what I told her to do... PLreef Did she listen ? Light I told her, you need more light for your WT girl and wait a bit for the watering lolll Sativa are the type they crave for light, even intense light. So I'm I right ?

• PLreef
        PLreef commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Simple yet effective advice.

Current closet situation. I still need to vacuum and clean the floor, two autos are waiting to get chopped when I do the floor. With 4 bags using soil I might not need a humidifier soon. I think I can fit the 5 gal sativa plus three 3 gal fast WW's in there OK. I have a cheaper full spectrum light I can hang on the R side later. Need to find my short tension rods or hack something to clip the fans onto, no tent poles in the closet.

Weed Pharma Hi, I've been following your Stonington thread. Do you use the drip rings for watering throughout a whole grow? I put up aluminum foil on the lower part of the back wall 18 months ago to keep the flat white wall clean, should I remove it? I did rough up the WT middle topsoil, moved it to the edges, moved the pots around, lowered the light and raised the WT bag. The fan is moving air around inside the bag but not moving any leaves. Before closing the door I used plant training hooks to poke some holes into the middle of the WT's soil, pic 4. Pic #5 is the WW fast in a 3 gal bag using the same soil method as the WT, you can see my watering 'ring' in the soil. Do you think this seedling will do OK with the milder soil in the center? I need to fill two more bags for the two WW's in cups, I wanna get it right.

Pic #2, those ugly Fan leaves are at node 4, should I remove them now? I have 4 more WT seeds if I need to start over. I planned to grow two White Widow fasts but forgot I had one in a shot glass then paper toweled another so now I have three. They'll finish sooner but I did not plan to have 3 of them in there with the WT. If I have to I'll find an owner for one of them, maybe barter with a presser. I want to see what my Mag Landrace yields after pressing, it'd be easier for me to use as I wish. After I get this grow set up I'll make a signature w/info. I'm using a Vipar XS2000 light.

I did read your page 2 on KISS. Long list of 'wrongs', good outcome. My first grow was started using knowledge from a Frank & Rosenthal 1979 book. My environment was never ideal. Mr.furley mentored me after I joined the forums - topping, training, defol, gnats, harvest - or I would've had buds in my attic. I tried to do everything 'right' with the autos, one plant yielded an 1/8th total. I smoked the whole plant in the past 24 hours, lol. TY!

Comment

Don't give up on your WT girl she's gonna make it.
        Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
        Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
        Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
        Full auto grow
        Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller

Comment

• Puglover1
          Puglover1 commented
          Editing a comment
          She's standing up today, no drooping. I removed another ugly fan leaf. Not sure now, I planned one training method but now it might be topping and LST, those bottom leaves aren't pretty, fan leaves removed up to node 4. I have to control the sativa's height. Did you watch those Afghani videos?

• Farmbuck
          Farmbuck commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I did Pug, I saw the plant and I can tell you it strangely look like one of my previous Red Lebanese I grew a few years back.

Here is the picture of my Red Lebanese Pug.
        Full auto grow

Comment

• Puglover1
          Puglover1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw a map of Afghan today, saw your Mazur - I - ? (brain is tired) strain's name on the map in the northwest part of the country. I'd take in 'terps or SIV holders, I have extra rooms. I'd rather see our new residents spread out and integrated instead of being clustered by nationality. Vietnamese and Laotians settled in the next little town west of me after 'Nam. For years they were referred to as the Vietnamese or the Laotians, now they are called by their names. Just doesn't sit right with me, my town was a melting pot 135 years ago, coal mining boom, my great grandfather was a founder, signed the incorporation papers for my city. They could probably teach me a thing or two about growing weed and making hashish.

• Farmbuck
          Farmbuck commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah Mazar-I-Sharif north of Kabul. Good afghani strains they have. My Mazar have been in curing since March, The aroma is like walking into a Marrakech market full of sweet spices. Like I was saying in previous posts, my goal is to convert the Mazar into Hash and to let it age for months to come.

• Puglover1
          Puglover1 commented
          Editing a comment
          So, the strain is named for the city? I heard the city mentioned on TV today. And now I can pronounce it correctly.

Glad to hear she's standing up today Pug. Little by little and she'll be out of her funk.
        5x5 Gorilla tent
        Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
        Infinity T8 exhaust fan
        Technaflora nutes
        Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

Not a pretty sight but better than yesterday.

Autos - thinking I'll chop at the base, hang each plant over the bathroom sink full of water and close the door. Do any of you do the two nights of darkness before chopping? In order to clean the closet floor I need to secure the plants from the cat, he jumps over baby gates.

Comment

• MeEasy
            MeEasy commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks alot happier 👍

Wild Thai: the yellow leaf in front isn't new, no 'badness' seen is new, the top is growing. Should the top growth be this pale? Normal, Strain or Light? When could I start some training on her? Fans are gone up to node 4, if I try BU2B method I might be able to top and root/plant the topped section at this rate.

I need to prep 2 bags for the two WW fast seedlings, chop autos, clean and rewire the closet, hopefully be done by Sunday.

The WW seedling in the bag had a Powerade bottle of thawed water fall on it, it's straightening back up. While adjusting the light, standing on a step stool and reaching to click, half of the light almost hit the ground, it was sitting at a 5 & 11 o'clock angle. I hope I've messed up enough for this grow already and it will be smoother sailing soon.

Advice for a reasonably-priced height-adjustable oscillating floor fan without a large footprint, please?

I'm waiting on saucers for the 3 gal WW bags, no clue what I'm going to use for the 5 gal WT. Whenever I shop somewhere I look for ideas, a hack for that. What do growers use for grates between the bag and saucer? I keep looking for ideas in bakeware departments. Cookie cooling racks aren't very wide. Thank you.

Comment

• MeEasy
            MeEasy commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't use oscillating fans I just have one towards the back facing one way and another one on the opposite side facing the other way towards the front. They're just small think 6" fans I probably have like 20 of them always keeping a spare or two, anyways I hang em with the ratchet ropes so they're adjustable kinda hard to get em turned just the way you want but I like how they work. I have one of these on each light and even outside the tent on the driver 😆they're everywhere.... if interested I'll look for a link for you I've tried a couple brands these have the ul and are like 10 or 15 bucks

• Puglover1
            Puglover1 commented
            Editing a comment
            MeEasy - I don't have a tent thus no poles to clip onto. I have 2 Holmes, a Genesis, another 6" clip/desk fan and have burned through another one. I have one sitting on a bucket, it sends air between two bags and underneath the light. Another on opposite end sitting on basins points toward an ice bottle and should bounce off of the doors when they're closed, it redirects the humidifier mist before it's sucked up into the exhaust on top. Thinking down the line: more vegetation, less space, plants growing upwards ... and no poles. I have another clip fan on my WL, maybe the one you're referencing, I thought maybe an osc, height-adjusted on low could spread the air without having 5 clips running and finding places to put them. How do you hang them with the ratchet ropes? I'm a visual thinker. Thnx.

I have three in each tent the top one is just blowing on the light then the two are facing each other but one is towards the back and other in front.... you can see all three in the last pic I can drop em all the way to the floor or a foot from the top but most of the time one is a little higher than the other by just a little
          TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
          s silver haze... strawberry haze...
          .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
          TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
          2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
          TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
          3 gallon pots all autos
          Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
          👇my one n only journal👇
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• Puglover1
            Puglover1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I see. They aren't all clipped on poles but the ropes are tied to poles. I have an old baby crib, the drop sides could be attached to walls like a ladder, for clip fans. I was going to make pot racks out of them, for the kitchen, not weed.

• MeEasy
            MeEasy commented
            Editing a comment
            Just a little hook or even a nail would work to hang the ratchet from when I was in the closet I had taken the shelf out and raised the clothes bar to about 12' and hung my lights and fans from it

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X