Homemade carbon filter?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade carbon filter?????

Anyone made/ useing a carbon filter the smell is not a issue but when it's starts to get warm my new home has evaporated air so it will push air and smell out my home I need a cost effective carbon filter any ideas plz

Buy one pre built

Comment

• St.buds
      St.buds commented
      Editing a comment
      Any recommendations I got a 400watt going and my closet is about 5 h by 5 l by 3 w with a slanted ceiling I dnt think I need a big one but I do need to spend as little as possible

Better off buyin one, depending on the size of room may cost way more then just buyin one already made... i paid 54.06 for mine its a ipower 8"x15" .. found one on ebay.. with a small dent in it.. works great woulda cost prolly over 100 bucks...i needed one rated for 740 cfm, u may be able to get away with a smaller one tho
    Visit my current grow at
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...227-s-5th-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...227-s-4th-grow

Comment

What fan do u have

Comment

• St.buds
        St.buds commented
        Editing a comment
        Dnt got one yet

Yeah you can build one easily enough if you have access to the right materials and they're cheap enough to justify the work time. Myself I pay a lot for shipping so the carbon is pretty much off the menu for mail order because it's so heavy.
      However I did buy a massive carbon filter unused from a friend five or six years ago. I cut it apart and made a few smaller filters using the carbon and the metal casing, as well as some other metal objects I had around.
      A poor man's carbon filter can be made using ordinary charcoal barbecue briquettes. I know a few people who use them and they seem to work well. One fellow made one by digging a trench in his yard outside the grow and filling it with briquettes- with his out-vent ducting running into it. I think he put grating on top of it or at the end of the run.
      I made one with a plastic bucket full of briquettes which fits on the inside end of my veg room outtake fan. It definitely removes any odour. I don't use it though except in rare situations (company staying over in that part of the house) because it slows my wimpy fan down - and because the odour coming from the veg vent is fairly low. (The small amount of smell coming from veg isn't produced there- it is actually just leaking through from my flower room into veg and then being vented outside )

Comment

• bobsakamoto
        bobsakamoto commented
        Editing a comment
        could supplement the briquettes w/baking soda, in the spirit of the poor man's carbon filter...

also, since the size and density of the briquettes are what's slowing the fan down, if one were willing to say, bust 'em up themself, well....

• Weasel
        Weasel commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually Bob I think busting it up would make it harder to suck air through. Right now the gaps between the lumps are quite large.
        That fan is just way underpowered for what I need there and I can't believe I've gone this many years with it.
        I'm upgrading both my flowering and veg vent fans in the near future I'm hoping. It's been on the list for years.

• bobsakamoto
        bobsakamoto commented
        Editing a comment
        i see, well certainly the potential PITA of the size and density factor will be dependent upon one's fan...

I'm not an exspert but my idea would be to buy and air purifyer carbon filter on ebay or somewere cheap u can get em for 6.99 on ebay and get some cheap tin or really thin steel from anywere and make what ever shape u need and drill holes in the metal wrap the carbon filter over it and stuff it inside and secure it down with glue on the out side with tip ties or string and it's a home aide one for 10-15 bucks depending on the steel price in Alberta it's was 0.66cents per foot a couple weeks ago Air Purifier Replacement Filters Activated Carbon Filter 4-Pack AOR31 by AFF

$6.99

Comment

• tyler_ hobbyist
        tyler_ hobbyist commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't promise it will work better than company manufactured ones but if u still have a smell issue, attach ur vent hose to that filter and make a second filter same way but the second one stuff with bounce sheets and attach a vent hose between the 2 but put the True carbon filter one 1st so the smell doesn't go into ur grow tent. It's only an idea you can make the call if you want to make one

• Weasel
        Weasel commented
        Editing a comment
        You can buy the carbon in bulk- then it's just a matter of putting it into a breathable filter as you said- usually a porous metal cylinder. Any junkyard will be chock full of things to make a good filter with.

• bobsakamoto
        bobsakamoto commented
        Editing a comment
        or this...such good info...thanks, GWE peeps

Thank u all for the info it really helps

Comment

if you spend the money on a good filter you could " re-build" it when it's reached it's life expectancy. drill out a couple rivets, dump old carbon, install new carbon, install new rivets hook up and go! It went together at the factory right. wish it went like that every time...lol. But, I have seen a bunch of videos to make a diy filter with 5 gallon buckets with lids too. thought about just making one of those and putting it in the middle of the room with a fan and it just filter the air in the room then no need for the filter going out of the grow space unless it really needs to be low key.

Comment

cyberaktif i thought about doing just that if i have to ever get a carbon filter....looks relatively easy except of course for drilling out the rivets...but even that is not the worst thing in the world. have you tried this yourself? i would love to find someone who has...i've seen people over on reddit that have reported it but no pics....
          "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

drilling out the rivets is easy. cordless drill and a drill bit just bigger than the hole in the rivet. all you do is just remove the head of the rivet and punch the other part through. just dont go all the way in with the bit because then you have to get a bigger rivet to fill the bigger hole. Do it at work all the time. I've not done it to my filter yet as it has a bunch of life left in it but will document how i do it.

Comment

hey thank you so much!! i've drilled out stripped screws and stuff but never rivets, but i was thinkin' it can't be that different (HA HA famous last words of a DIYer)... thanks, man, gonna try that if i have to break down and rig up a carbon filter...
              "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

I have had 2 carbon filters. Both are 6x24. The first one I got was rated well by owners, and was not very expensive. It just didn't take out the smell as effectively as I needed it to.

Then near the end of my last grow the smell was such that I got the second filter that was a Phresh 6x24. I ran it outside my grow room and it totally eliminated smell in the basement (not the grow room). It will be my main filter for this grow so I will be able to tell more in about 4 months.
                completed 7 grows
                what I have learned so far:
                environment maters more than nutrients
                at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
                effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

I just made a refilling port on mine.
                  Used a holesaw ( the drill bit used for making doorknob holes just in case somebody doesn't know what I'm talking about) the biggest size I had around that fit, which is about 3". Drilled a hole through the aluminum on the end of the filter- then once I had all the carbon in I capped it with a little scrap of aluminum sheet and a couple metal screws.
                  It's a much better way to fill the filter with anyway, as you want the carbon packed to the top, and doing that to the perfect level then replacing the entire end cap can be a PITA depending on the design.

Comment

Charcoal works wonders in the ducting of the vent...VERY inexpensive...I use composted bananas in my soil and u can't smell a thing inside or out. Unless u open the doors...lol

Comment

• St.buds
                      St.buds commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So you just useing regular charcoal? Do u have it sitting or set up with a fan?

Works pretty good for me. https://youtu.be/d3o1AVFdGn4?list=PL...E3CEPqy7zE29dS

Comment

• Weasel
                      Weasel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One thing I used for a small filter once was the filter from a semi truck which I found laying in the ditch here- you know those fat cylinders that are on the exhaust stacks up front. They're actually fairly big and this one worked perfectly when filled with carbon.

• bobsakamoto
                      bobsakamoto commented
                      Editing a comment
                      nice catch, Weasel !!

• DingusKhan
                      DingusKhan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      UPCYCLING!

I have a client (unrelated business) who is a commercial grower. He still likes to joke with his kids about "upcycling", finding useful junk with which to grow pot.

The truck exhaust has GOT to be the coolest upcycle ever.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X