Question for people in legal states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for people in legal states

Now that it's a legal for medicinal or recreational use in many US states, is it still illegal to DUI of weed? Do they often test drivers?

Over here in Oz they set up random road blocks or pull people over randomly for licence/alcohol/drug checking. The mouth swabs they use to test for drugs can return a positive result apparently up to 72 hours after use of drugs so it's possible to get charged for DUI two days after smoking a few hits but not even being high at the time of driving. I had a mate recently lose his licence after getting pulled over 36 hours after his last hit.
    Every day when I get in the car to go somewhere, even if I'm not high I run the risk of losing my licence.
    Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
    600W HPS
    Coco
    GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
    Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

That really sucks.

Comment

a lot of talk about that in my state. recreational has been legal for several years and now into our first year of legal commercial. training of some police departments in how to determine if under the influence. I heard this is an admission that pot can be detected long after a person is no longer high. lots on the news of research into a reliable roadside test like a breathalyzer for alcohol. so far no court cases but I see one soon once a trained officer determines someone is under the influence of pot and impaired. authorities are going to try to crack down on it but I am glad to see them acknowledging the differences from alcohol and trying to come up with best way to enforce impaired driving. will they do good? is batman a transvestite? who knows! only time will tell

Comment

Yes, that is a PITA and definitely it is something that is gaining headway here in the US now that there are more states with legal weed. I do know that there are two companies that are developing testing equipment that police can use to determine weed induced intoxication. And yes, both of them can detect THC in your bloodstream at amounts you couldn't possibly be impaired under. Big problem is THC is fat soluble_so it stays in your system for a much longer time than alcohol. If you took a couple of hits a day for say two weeks every day you probably could't pass that test_even after 72 hrs_ because it accumulates with every exposure. Other problem is there are no baselines for determining how stoned is too stoned to drive safely.
        No testing for an average impairment in relation to a blood content percentage / average body weight_ as there has been with alcohol.
        I have seen huge billboards along the roads in Oregon and Washington saying you can be busted from weed induced DUI so I'd imagine someone has experienced that misfortune here as well, though I haven't heard of anyone I know.
        Like spinzella said_ DUI's for pot intoxication will make our roads safer for travel but how much is too much? My opinion is that physical /mental tests are a more accurate means of
        determining intoxication than a chemical test. The chemical test is popular because its fast, easy to administer, and provides a defendable baseline in court.
        Yet not very accurate in the real world.
        Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
        liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• bobsakamoto
          bobsakamoto commented
          Editing a comment
          SO well-said...thanks, zigzag!!

• growgreenjr
          growgreenjr commented
          Editing a comment
          ZigZag, that was a pretty impressive and convincing post. To the OP, police in the US must have AT LEAST reasonable suspicion to effect a motor vehicle stop. There are, however, sobriety checkpoints instituted now & then, with mixed results. I personally believe that since prosecution for driving under the influence of alcohol is the most litigated charge in courts today, prosecutions for driving under the influence of marijuana will become much more common in the near future. Quite alarming to hear that police are using a 'test' (mouth swab) to 'determine' so-called sobriety; I agree that 'physical/mental' tests are more appropriate and should be normalized/standardized. IMO, in this day & age anyone who drives under the influence is nuts anyway, with the amount of anti-drunk driving PSA's out there. The 'mouth swab' test will likely lead to a new industry for lawyers; defenses based on the presumed inadmissibility of the swab results.

When someone comes up with an accurate test that will stand up in court. The thing to do is find out who makes it and buy the stock for everything your worth you will be a millionaire.

Comment

• OzBud
          OzBud commented
          Editing a comment
          that's a good idea. LE all over the world will be buying it

Yup, thats right. I found out about the two companies producing them when I was researching weed stocks which I decide to get into last September. Designed my own marijuana stock mutual fund. Got really lucky with the timing and made 200% in 8 weeks. Too bad I didn't put more money into it!
        It's not something you want to do if you're not familiar with different trading options though because the market is very volatile. After everything went back down I got back into it_ bought at the bottom and am now hoping for another return. Doubt it will be like the last time but could be really nice none the less. Most of these MJ stocks are penny stocks so you they are a good way to learn how trading works and not lose a bunch of money.
        Thats what I did, cuz i knew next to nothing about anything but market trades until I tried it out. There are some Canadian and British companies that have good potential as well and are good "insurance" against what could happen in the US. If you do this make sure to look at companies that can sell their products outside the US as well as here. And ones that produce CBD only products with no THC so they are outside the influence of the Fed. Also companies that manufacture inside states where med and rec weed is legal so they will not be as subject to restrictions on shipping. Just some ideas and I want to support the industry as best I can.
        Companies that produce Led lighting and LEC bulbs could be decent as well but they aren't going to show huge gains because of the competition from others. Stay away from stocks like Monsanto or Miracle Grow_ I don't care for their way of doing business. Stick with the smaller startups....they are the ones producing the best grow supplies anyway and they need our support. Unfortunately many of them haven't gone public yet. Can't blame them for that but its one of the best ways they can compete with the big guys, who don't really give a "hoot" about us_ just about their top end, regardless of what that takes. First rule is don't invest more than you can afford to loose!
        liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

The first thing I do to prevent getting in trouble, is to never drive when high. That being said the tests may show up anything and I could still be in a jam.
          completed 7 grows
          what I have learned so far:
          environment maters more than nutrients
          at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
          effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Thats a good strategy and responsible driving as well. Uber loves us! maybe they should come out with discounts for stoners?

Comment

Then -- we get into the money trap -- how much is the fine to pay and who gets that money, then court costs -- and now you need a Lawyer, to fight to keep your drivers license. Perhaps another attorney because you ran into someone, or even if you didn't cause the accident you were involved, but your off for a blood test, so big bucks there,

Anyone in this process, cops, court, lawyers -- not willing to collect money? So it's not going away.

Comment

Yeah, they're all going to go for the $ if its there....and If the legal weed industry continues to build then that's a "for sure"_ everyone will be trying to get their fingers in the pie! They already are.
                Snoop Dog and Willie Nelson are into it big time...but all this commercialization has a definite downside as well....kinda takes some of the "romance" out of things.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X