Outdoor growing in the heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor growing in the heat

From Oklahoma where it gets around 100 degrees for extended periods of time. Growing in mobile 7 gallon pots and have access to shade as well as easy feeding. Any tips to make it easier to survive the summer?

I'm getting ready for another heat wave mine r in the ground I think that helps keep roots cool and I just rigged a white tarp to cover for the afternoons at least 4 days of heat and humidity

Comment

I'm a novice grower and tried some autoflower seeds for the first time. These are supposed to be ready between the 10th and 20th of July but like I said, I'm new to this. I've been keeping these in the shade next to my house for the past week and a half. Smells awesome already and are getting dense.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here in Southern California we get some nasty heat in the late summer. I've paid my dues in plant and root heat stress and this season I resolved to do something about it. First thing was to get my pots off the hot ground. I upcycled water bottle caps by using construction adhesive and gluing several of them to the bottom of each my containers. I grow on a south facing balcony and the surface gets blazing hot so I found a couple retractable 8' X 8" plant screens that I can pull out and connect to my railing in a matter of minutes to reduce the heat significantly on the hottest of days. Another trick I have used in the past is frozen zip-lock baggies of water that I can lay over the surface of my soil and that works well to keep my soil and roots from cooking. The quickest way to kill off living soil is to cook it in the sun. If you have the ability to move them to shade easily then that is a great option. For me it's the baking sun that causes the most problems rather than just the heat of the day.

Comment

• soonboomer
          soonboomer commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the input. I'm an old dude, so muscling these pots around wasn't an option. I have them all on wheeled plant holders, and will definitely follow the advice to give them plenty of shade.

I don't know alot about autos I think just keep them alive

Comment

A silicon supplement may help with heat stress. Been adding it to non feeding days water for my outdoor girls. Using Silicon Blast, but there are many others
          Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Comment

Big pots with lots of soil and good clean water (ya just find that!), sometimes I cover the pots so they are not in the sunshine, but mostly the plant does it. I cant move these either, they have no bottom. This keeps me up above the water for when we have rain as we do now, my roots will be up and out of the soaking water.
            Autos from what I see do not like the heat at all!

Comment

Starting to get a little activity with the preflower.

Comment

Fortunately, because I live in the Smokies we don't get much over 90's during the hottest days.
                The biggest challenge I have is rain and wind, so this year I made a simple hoop house and it's made a huge difference.
                Should be a good year.
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X