Runoff Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runoff Question

Currently watering every three days. Using 3 gallon plastic containers. I am using individual trays under each plant, circular, on wheels. Currently the plants are taking 3/ 4 of a gallon. If I overwater and get runoff in the tray, it is gone within a couple of hours. Not sure if this is normal. Also want to make sure I am not running myself into problems with root rot. They currently look good, went to 12/12 yesterday. Waiting to visit tonight at 8pm. And it is a watering night. Help would be appreciated

It's perfectly normal. Often times water will initially travel the path of least resistance straight to the bottom and out. Eventually the soil that did not get saturated will wick up the runoff and the rest will evaporate. You only need worry when the bottom of the pot sits for prolonged periods in runoff.

Comment

It depends on what you are feeding your plants, with regular nutes (salts) you actually need to get a good amount of runoff and get rid of it before it soaks back up into the soil. The idea of runoff is to wash out the old nutes your plants didn't use and replace it with fresh so you don’t get buildup in your soil. If you're growing in organic amendments and or living soil you don't want to get runoff when you water it washes away your nutrients. If you do get runoff it's OK for it to be sucked back up into your soil or like I do I'll suck up the runoff and put it into another plant
      TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
      s silver haze... strawberry haze...
      .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
      TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
      2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
      TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
      3 gallon pots all autos
      Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
      👇my one n only journal👇
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

You dont want your containers sitting in the runoff water. This is very bad. You need some elevators. Runoff is a good thing. It prevents build up of excess nutrients on your roots.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X