springtail help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

springtail help please

I was looking for root aphids this morning and found hordes of spring tails. Short google search produced varied info but little help. Some sites say they are no problem others say big problem. How do I kill these things? Do I need to?

Springtails can be beneficial as they eat decaying, rotten matter. Springtails can also be a nuisance as they live in the root zone and can cause route problems in large numbers.

Sns 203 or Mammoth Canna control will work to eliminate them but can also eliminate beneficials if you use soil.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I often get hordes of springtails in my worm compost bins. When it gets excessive I place a slice of damp bread on the surface of the soil overnight and for some reason they just flock to it. I then toss the bread away and that seems to take care of the crux of the infestation problem. Once I blend my compost into soil for potting they tend to disappear. I've never had issues with them causing any harm but it is kind of creepy when hundreds of them start jumping around when I disturb them.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will try the bread tonight. If I see them on the soil like they were this morning I will spray ISO on them.

Comment

They are not an issue. If you have them they will always be there no matter what you do. The bread thing works just to eliminate some but trust me you will never get rid of them completely. I see them as a sign of life in my soil. There are springtails predators if you really want to try to take them out.

Comment

Two treatments with OG Biowar and all springtails are gone. No sign of them this morning.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X