Cloning while topping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloning while topping

When topping is the removed portion good for a clone(s).? Is it advisable?

Yes, I do it all the time. It may be a little more difficult to get these early cuttings to clone but usually most of these clones survive. I wait until the original mother plant is about 12”-16” tall then it will be woody enough and mature enough to make good clones.
    If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes like Korn says....it will help take root faster abit longer cutting let them go for another wk or so easier to handle also.

• ShanMan
      ShanMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much

IF the plant is photo and NOT auto, clone away! I recently gave away over 40 clones from trimming a plant, kept a couple and tossed about 20.
    Welcome to GWE

You know if one pushes the post button after typing it helps, LOL, better late than never.

Comment

• ShanMan
      ShanMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much

I do it on every pheno-hunt I run.
    I let them veg to about 5-6 nodes, top back to the 3rd node, and stick the cutting into a rockwool cube.
    I then flip the testers to sex them, discard any males, and see what develops.
    If I encounter something worthy, the cutting becomes a mother.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• ShanMan
      ShanMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much

I've cloned my tops plenty of times. It's definitely a good way to get a free plant you otherwise would have just tossed out. Just make sure you have 3"+ of total stem to work with, unless you're using rooting cubes and then you can do about 2". I know everyone says bigger is better, just don't let the stem get too woody. I've found that the softer the branch is, the faster it seems to root. So I tend to take them a little smaller than most, I think. Hope that helps. Happy growing!

Comment

• ShanMan
      ShanMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X